Would TF3 be hurt by ROTF's content?

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Chopperface, Mar 19, 2010.

1. Chopperface

Chopperface Holtzmanned

News Credits:
    When I went to see ROTF last summer with my younger brother and sister, I was really shocked at all the dog humping, leg humping, pot brownies, Alice sex, etc, and the robots cussing.

Now, let's acknowledge that probably a half to a third of the audience that gives the films 700 million+ dollars has been kids. And with ROTF, lets be honest - mothers were probably PO at all the crap in the film their kids had to sit through.

Mothers probably won't bring their kids back to TF3, remembering all the crap from ROTF. Without kids - if this indeed happens - Bay loses about half his audience and $$$$. Which could bring TF3's total to half of ROTF.

This a "worst" case scenario, but its not unlikely. To sum it all up - with the crap in ROTF, TF3 will not make as much money as ROTF.

2. ComicGuy89

ComicGuy89 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Well, box office earnings does not a good movie make, I think. There is still time for TF3 to get back in game, (hopefully they have done so with the scripting) and make an excellent movie. Maybe then word of mouth will spread and make TF3 a good earning movie.

3. MaxLinden

MaxLinden Auto-Con

News Credits:
    If the reviews are good, parent will bring there kids and people will go see it but if it gets a review that ROTF got.... Then ya, they are going to lose profits.
    But we will see as time pasts and the movie comes out.

4. MythofBlackout

MythofBlackout TF Fan Artist

News Credits:
    I don't think it's going to have too big an impact. I'm pretty sure if Hasbro was dissatisfied with the humor in ROTF they've given Bay the 411 and asked him to tone it down. Then there's the fact that any thirteen year-old (and often those under thirteen) can go to the movie without parental supervision. Couple that with the higher ticket prices for 3D movies (it's pretty close to a lock, at this point, that TF3 will be shown in 3D) and I think if the attendance is close to that of the first movie, it could easily match ROTF's box office.

But only time will tell.

5. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

Given all the interview shows that people connected to films go on these days before a movie comes out I think there are plenty of outlets to go say things are different if they really do cut out the things that the films really didn't need in the first place.

Not really all that hard to get a spot on some show to say we heard how people were upset that some of our content last time wasn't appropriate for the younger crowd so we listened and changed things for our third film. Just about every interview show throws out enough softball questions to get across any message you want.

I think the bigger hurtle will be getting a message out that it's a better film than Revenge of the Fallen was. The general public burns out on things quickly these days anyway so if they are expecting a bad film they may pass on the third film. Just look at how many franchise had a scorching hot second opinion with the second film only to have the franchise end because people were tired of the movies by the third film.

So you are coming off a Razzie winning second film and you've got to convince people that they aren't going to be disappointed with the third film like so many other franchises that gave us a stinker of a third film. That's the tougher sell than will there be responsible parents out there because I saw a guy take his kids to see Watchmen.

6. Paxtin

Paxtin Why am I here?

After all the overblown drama of ROTF, I definitely think it'll hurt the success of the third film. Though really, I think it's the film buff and geek demographic they need to worry about, as they tend to be the ones more likely to hold a grudge.
    Even I'm considering on just skipping the the initial release, and waiting for the DVD.

After some of the reviews I had seen when ROTF came out, the best we could hope for is the movie will be fair enough that most critics will just give it a thumbs down, and then move on.

7. Moy

Moy Constructicons!

News Credits:
    I hope next time that won't be an issue.

8. vfnfvne

vfnfvne Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Well, the movie WAS PG-13 (Reasons for Movie Ratings (CARA) will give you a definition of it, though it's not a very good definition compared to other ratings listed). I definitely wouldn't bring either of my kids to it (but they aren't 13 yet). I disproved of the drug and humping parts, but honestly, have you seen some of the "kid" shows on Nick/CartoonNetwork/etc? I don't let my kids watch half the stuff on TV... Bottom line, if you're a good parent you are going to check into this stuff BEFORE taking your kids. Also, some parents are going to take their kids no matter what.
    Will the backlash impact TF3 any? I don't think it will all that much, actually. Bay and party did their part and it was rated by the The Motion Picture Association of America (MPAA), if the parents feel it's appropriate for their kids, they are going to take them anyways. The dough will flow no matter what and there's enough hope that the next one will redeem the series that I think there will still be large profit. Whether it is larger or smaller than either of the past live-action films will all hang on if the movie is any good.

9. Lock Cade

Lock Cade Tarn Fangirl TFW2005 Supporter

I sure hope not.

10. Chopperface

Chopperface Holtzmanned

News Credits:
    Well, I'll admit, I wouldn't have taken my brother and sister to ROTF at midnight had I known about all the crappy humor in it.

I thought it was gonna have TF1-style humor. You know, not so explicit. That's just the major thing I'm worried about - next time, will the sex humor - there will be some - will it be ROTF-level explicit?

But let's all be honest - did we really need Simmons' thong?

11. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    No. The idiot masses will eat it up all the same.

12. FanimusMaximus

FanimusMaximus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    If it is a great movie according to critics I will post that says nothing but IN YOUR F$CKING FACE!!!!!

13. moreprimeland

moreprimeland Optimus told me to do it! Moderator TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    As Prime says in TF1---"Calm down, calm down!"

The critics will hate TF3 just like they did TF1 and ROTF, they just will.. Do we hope the storyline and language will be more G1 or TF1? sure, and with the hope they go in a direction that will faithfully follow the TFFiction of years past or even just follow a graphic novel storyline or series, that would be fine with me..

14. Ash from Carolina

Well except for the wee slight problem of the first Transformers movie got a Rotten Tomatoes rating of 57% and when you check out the rating from top critics then the Rotten Tomato rating for the first Transformers movie jumps up to 68%.

If Transformers 3 is good movie then critics will say it was good and if it's just another Revenge of the Fallen then it's not going to be a shocker if the critics say it's just not a good movie.

15. Kaymac

Kaymac I'M REALLY FEELIN' IT!

ROTF had way too much stupid and explicit humor. TF1 was fine, but ROTF took it too far. It was tasteless. However, people are dumb. These are made for the masses, not us, and this thing will still make truckloads of money. TF3 might lose some moms' ticket purchases, but that means nothing to Bay, since teenage kids, adults, and most of us fans will probably see it anyway. ROTF was okay, but it was brought down by nnecesary tasteless humor. This time they had some freaking time to work on the script, and most likely make it not retarded.

16. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    Why would it? They could, if they wanted to, change just about anything for the third movie. Nothing's set in stone. Look how different ROTF was from

And like someone said: it's not like they didn't tell you before hand with the PG-13.

17. Chopperface

Chopperface Holtzmanned

News Credits:
    Easy, guys. I'm just voicing my concerns.

The reason many parents took their kids to ROTF is because they thought its humor wouldn't be explicit, like TF1.

Now, with memory of ROTF, moms AND their little kids won't come in as many droves as before - meaning the box office scores less than last time.

18. Sso02V

Sso02V Injector Has a Posse

News Credits:
    So long as it doesn't follow in RotF's footsteps as a cinematic whipping boy, I really don't care if it alienates a small part of the moviegoing public.

19. Sorrow Six Star

Sorrow Six Star Close Countach

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    no.. no we did not.

20. Ash from Carolina

No matter how bad a movie is it seems like all you have to do is release it on the 4th of July to get people to see it. People did pay to see Hancock so any summer movie with enough ads behind it will draw a crowd.