Would Spotlight: Ramjet have been better if Ramjet was in character?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Basketball Jones, Jan 14, 2008.

1. Basketball Jones

Basketball Jones Decepticon

If the comic showcased Ramjet as a Decepticon grunt blasting and headbutting his way through those that oppose him instead of an ambitious usurper, would it have been a superior concept for a story than what was presented?

2. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    No. What we got was hilarious and a great G1 Season 2 homage.

3. Mirage232

Mirage232 Well-Known Member

Did G1 Ramjet even have a character?:)  But, yea I would have liked something other than getting another unsurper to the throne.

4. swarlock

swarlock Autobot Supporter

No. I liked what I read.

5. smkspy

smkspy is one nice fucking kitty

Ramjet never had much character to begin, so actually giving him some other than likes to butt things with his head was nice.

6. shroobmaster

shroobmaster Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I wouldn't complain if the comic was all about Ramjet headbutting anything in his path until he grows tired of it.

7. Veloxiraptor

Veloxiraptor Moé than Meets the Eye

News Credits:
    It was an amusing one-shot with no real overarcing plot implications. I see no need to change it just to honor the "personality" of a character who frankly lacked one to begin with.

8. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    For all we know, Ramjet will be in character next time we see him, because the trauma of what he suffered caused him to lose most of his mind and become "just a grunt".

9. Pauly T

Pauly T Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    But where was the toast?

10. Ramrider

Ramrider TF Art Lad

I haven't read it it yet, so I don't know how it was handled, but I felt I should address this. G1 Ramjet has a character; he's a hard-headed warrior who loves to show off how tough he is by crashing into everything head-first. Just because he never got any exposition in the cartoon doesn't mean he didn't have a character anywhere else.

11. Ruination04

Ruination04 8 Years Old Since 1984!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I liked it, but he didn't really last long after Megatron showed up did he?

12. weeklyhero

weeklyhero Prototytan

I think the Ramjoet Spotlight would have been better if it were about someone else who fit the story better.

13. Aaron

Aaron Master of Crystalocution Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    No it wouldn't have been better. To change his character would have ended up with a totally different story, and so it would be very rather different to call one "better" especially from the purely hypothetical standpoint.

14. SMOG

SMOG Vocab-champion ArgueTitan

YES. Agreed.

This story would have still been weak if it instead featured in the lead role, one of the many Decepticons that I could FOR ONE INSTANT imagine behaving and thinking that way. But at least it wouldn't have been quite so glaringly irritating in it's poor characterization.

Instead, we get Ramjet, possibly the ABSOLUTE LEAST APPROPRIATE Decepticon to put in that story. I mean, why tell stories about G1 characters, in a series devoted to G1 nostalgia, if you're going to completely mishandle it? Makes no sense.

Alternately we could have had a totally different story about a brash yet simplistic masochistic Decepticon thug, which might have been entertaining... but that would have been something else entirely.

I don't understand the love for this story... from a canonical standpoint, it offered nothing whatsoever, and I got nothing from the humour. "Always bet on the leader?" Wow. That's high wit. :( 

zmog

15. Veloxiraptor

News Credits:
    Makes perfect sense as long as you're not expecting IDW to slavishly adhere to every idiotic little facet of G1 lore. It's not like Ramjet is the only character that's gone through a big overhaul for the IDWverse.

16. SMOG

SMOG Vocab-champion ArgueTitan

No character has gone through a complete and utter reversal of his original personality, least of all for seemingly utterly capricious reasons.

(Except maybe the Technobots in Stormbringer, but they weren't the main focus of the story, and most people forget that the Technobots aren't actually smart, so much as just being glitchy psychopaths anyway... but I digress)

And I'm not sure if you've noticed, but the IDW G1 comic is... well... G1. We fans tend to enjoy it when the writers manage to "get" a character, while perhaps adding some new twist that fits them. Ramjet is a rather egregious example of not doing that.

And expecting an established character to adhere to his fundamental personality to at least some degree, in a spotlight title devoted to that character, is hardly an "idiotic little facet".

An "idiotic little facet" might be finding fault with the fact that the two G1 Autobots who are least likely to be harmed by human weapons due to their impervious armour-plating (Ironhide and Sunstreaker), are the first 2 to get aced by the Machination in IDW. But hey... who pays attention to the details, right?

That's being picky. Spotlight Ramjet just feels like a doofus writer who doesn't know his stuff, writing a sort of lame story about a character he probably owned as a kid and made up his own grandiose fanfics about.

Next up in Spotlight... Perceptor as a Dinobot! Beachcomber as a bloodthirsty berserker! Cliffjumper as the Autobots' top tactician! Why not? ;) 

zmog

17. Veloxiraptor

News Credits:
    They certainly managed to preserve his utter insignificance as a character, which is why I think the Spotlight works so well, in a sort of Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead kind of way. (But I suppose insignificance is too common a trait in this franchise.)

Your definition of "established" is just a wee bit liberal. Ramjet's most character-defining moment in G1 involved headbutting some guy on a horse. If you really think of his "personality" as gospel to be respected in all subsequent iterations of G1, then I guess we're done here.

That's quite a slippery slope you've got.

18. Vangelus

Vangelus Long Live the New Flesh Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'm not offended that "idiot who crashes into things" got changed in the clearly-divergent IDWverse.

Much love for "idiot with delusions of grandeur and a mighty thesaurus". :D 

19. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    I think you are missing a word here. Which Decepticon would be better? Or did you have trouble narrowing down the G1 cast of Decepticons, Constructicons, Triple Changers, Insecticons and Combaticons that wanted to replace Megatron?

Maybe they should just add a bonus page in the TBP where he headbutts Megatron just before getting his clock cleaned. :lol 

Last edited: Jan 15, 2008
  20. Gears

Gears buh-buh-body ya Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Yes, I thought the spotlight we got was terrible.