Would Soundwave still be as popular without his minions?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by jourdo, Dec 18, 2006.

1. jourdo

jourdo TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    Well? Would he? What makes him such a popular/cool character? Is it the little bots he can fit inside? Would an update of his Alt mode be acceptable if the "minions" could not be incorporated?

2. Spekkio

Spekkio Master of War

Blaster was popular before his team made their debut. Then again, it's hard to separate Soundwave from his minions - it's all part of his mythos, at least for us old-timers.

3. Nerd Bomber

Nerd Bomber Consulting your needs

I don't think so, not for me anyways. Part of soundwave's fun is the hidden men that can pop out of his chest.

4. Switchblade

Switchblade Just a raggedy man

News Credits:
    I doubt it. Soundwave's alt mode wasn't nearly as exciting as a jet plane or a gun, and without the ability to store smaller robots in his chest, I don't think he'd have been nearly as popular.

5. onesock

onesock Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    If Cybertron Soundwave didn't have little bomb Laserbeak, he DEFINATELY wouldn't have been as cool to me.

6. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Any update of Soundwave, well it wouldn't be Soundwave would it? He was virtually perfect to begin with, Soundwave, communications guy, a TF who transformed into a tape deck, who at first glance looked like a real tape player?

Also he had his minions in his chest? Dammit, I want a Masterpiece Soundwave with normal sized masterpiece tapes now.

7. Predaking

Predaking Well-Known Member

I always think of Soundwave as a field general. He's pretty weak at 1 v 1 battle (his fight with Blaster in Headmasters notwithstanding) and therefore he needs his cassettes to do the dirty work for him. But as a result he is very multifunctional. He can scout (Laserbeak/Buzzsaw), attack (Ravage/Ratbat), or disrupt (Frenzy/Rumble). And having a mini army at your disposal is always a good thing.

8. Cast

Cast Roll the dice

Soundwave wasn't much of a character, I mean really in the show he was more or less megatron’s yes man, not that that was a fault he was probably meg’s right hand man, but the tapes gave him a characteristic, made him interesting and gave him a real nasty edge. So no a soundwave with out his minions just wouldn’t be the same and wouldn’t really hold any interest for me.

Strangely blaster was more his own bot although not one of my favourites but I could well take him with out tapes but it would be a let down.

9. pscoop

pscoop Dead inside

News Credits:
    I agree, although I still preffer him over Blaster. Maybe becasue he was more compact or I may just preffer his robot mode over BLaster's. Regardless the tapes were some of my favorites TFs when I was growing up. I was thrilled when I found out the reissue would have Ravage and Laserbeak. Now if I could just get my hands on the damn thing.

10. Frank Horrigan

Frank Horrigan YAR! I be posting!

I think his voice had a good amount to do with his popularity too. It's what drew me to him as a kid.

11. Abrogate

Abrogate Nondescript Former Poster

News Credits:
    I would like Soundwave even without his buddies. For one thing, his robot mode is rock solid. It has great proportions, an awesome head sculpt, he's basically the perfect example of G1 design at it's best. Furthermore, his voice in the cartoon was enough to endear me to him. His cassette buddies definitely add to his play value and usefulness, but the robot on its own is still cool.

12. cuad

cuad VOK EMISSARY

News Credits:
    Yeah his voice was cool. The cassette guys were great. They made him better. He had this gigantic cannon/music blaster on his shoulder that he never had to use. (I think he only used it once in the cartoon as a sound blasting thing.) And, his face is the Decepticon logo!

He would still be cool without the cassettes or whatever they would be upgraded to.

13. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Reformed Geewunner

News Credits:
    Could be...he was pretty unique without his minions...but I think the cassettes were the biggest reason for his popularity

14. bigkid24

bigkid24 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Bingo. I remember all the neighborhood kids would talk like him and push their shoulders. "Ravage....eject." *pushes shoulder*

He had a lot going for him. Great toy with a cool feature of storing other robots in his chest. Sort of like how gestalts are so popular. The concept and the giant bot is cool but the individuals are crap. Now Soundwave and his minions aren't crap but they aren't as cool individually for the most part. The whole is definitely greater than the sum of its parts.

15. kllrwlf

kllrwlf Well-Known Member

His voice was just awesome, and he controled his minion with authority...

"Laserbeak... eject... Ravage... eject... attack the Autobots"

For me, the cassettes are part of him which makes him so cool... :) 

16. LigerPrime

LigerPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Actually IMO, he was a pretty decent fighter. I recall watching MTMTE part 1 when the Decepticons were boarding the Ark, Soundwave kicked 2-3 Autobots!

IMO, part of what making SW cool were his tapes. He was like the Decepticons' utility man. He could spy, fight and was loyal to G1 Megs. Although his G1 specs implied he's er, bootlicker the cartoon gave the impression of a very loyal soldier to Megs.

17. antapp

antapp Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    He wasn't very loyal when Starscream chucked Megs outta Astrotrain!!!! :p 

18. ghowildseven

ghowildseven SG Decepticon

^This

His voice alone would make him unique from the other characters, but prob not as an important role w/o his cassettes.

19. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    he's a pretty unique character among the Decepticons, and yeah, there's the voice. So he'd probably still have a following, but without the cassette gimmick, I don't think he'd be nearly as popular.

20. ORIO

ORIO Plant-Based Bot Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    His voice and tapes definitely added to his popularity. I don't think he would be as popular without em.

As others have mentioned, they liked Blaster before he had cassettes. But I always remember wondering why he didn't have cassettes as a kid. Needless to say I was pretty damn excited when four of them flew out of his chest in TFTM.