Would people hate the movie designs as much if...

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Sso02V, Jun 18, 2007.

1. Sso02V

Sso02V Injector Has a Posse

News Credits:
    The Transtech line had actually come out? Some of those designs are as unorthodox and alien as the movie designs, some even surpass the movie bots in the wierdness category.

2. NothingHead

NothingHead Well-Known Member

This might not make sense to some folks, but personally, it's not that I dislike the overarching aesthetic, so much as I dislike the designs themselves. The aesthetic and style is fine, but I feel that too many choices were made with specific design elements that were counter-intuitive, or from what we're told was based on faulty logic (raptor-legs on Starscream to make him look more agile? That's like putting rockets on a tank to make it go faster :p ). Additionally, fundamental principles of design were ignored, and I don't mean that in a "trying bold new things"-way..

But that's my personal qualms. I think that the Transtech style is crazy and daring and cool. And I think that, generally, more folks would cotton to the new designs if Transtech had happened. The general public doesn't work in artistic professions and has no clue about design; many really do dislike the designs just because they're too out there compared to G1. Some sort of aesthetic bridge would have definitely helped.

3. Simian

Simian Biscuits and Gravy....???

News Credits:
    I love the Transtech designs...!!

4. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    Transtech was awesome; I liked it so much that I CG'd Transtech Starscream for last year's Botcon art contest (it turned out to be the most complex model I've ever built). I'd love to have seen the line released; as it is, all we got were 2 protos.

5. Sso02V

News Credits:
    Out of all the Transtech designs, I wish the Cheetor one had been realized and made into a toy, because he has some damn awesome feet.

6. Bumble Prime

Bumble Prime all the time

wow i never realized how much the transtech really do look like the movie designs........

id get my money back from the design house that made the movie designs........hasbro bought the designs 6 years ago and have them in storage somewhere!

7. Dinotron

Dinotron AA2010 13-15 AUG BE THERE TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    DITO!!

the only movie design i didnt like was screamer........ he grew on me......ilike him now:) 

8. Sso02V

News Credits:
    Transtech Starscream is like an inverted Moviescream. Tiny torso, big legs.

9. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    I would think so.

I love the alien, streamlined, dis-porportioned, athletic look to TFs, such a refreshing change from the same old boxxy designs we've had for so long.

10. Sso02V

News Credits:
    I know, right? Most of the head designs here look like movie characters as is.

11. Dark_Convoy

Dark_Convoy Old Bastard Veteran

Do you have any specific examples of this, or is it just your personal opinion, because I'm not seeing where "fundamental principles of design were ignored".

12. Trenner Dios

Trenner Dios Humility > Huge Ego

For the love of anything! They are giant robot aliens!! They are humanoid in shape so they do need to have just as much if not more articulation than a goddam plastic toy. Keep in mind they are ALIENS. Much more technologically advanced than we are. The designs make perfect sense to me!! What is so hard to understand about them????

13. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Reformed Geewunner

News Credits:
    Some maybe, but a lot of people are going to hate the designs no matter what and that's their perogative.

14. Trenner Dios

Trenner Dios Humility > Huge Ego

Yeah, and the same people would be complaining about the film even if it was just a live action version of the original 80's cartoon. And they would be complaining even if it was some sort of middle ground between the two.

YOU CAN'T PLEASE EVERYONE.

I guess it would just be better if they didn't make a movie at all? Is that how it should be?? Stupid whiners.

I love Transformers more than almost anything, but at least I understand that it was created to sell toys and merchandise. In that sense, the cartoon is exactly the same as the new movie, but it doesn't mean that I'm not going to enjoy the hell out of giant transformer robots fighting each other. Good grief, children.

15. NGW

NGW Rawr

News Credits:
    I wouldn't say that is the reasoning on him...I'd say his legs are quite functional and serve a purpose.

Watch the scene where he transforms in mid flight and lands on the bridge (or when he transforms and lands in the city). See how them chicken legs absorb all that impact? Imagine if he had standard legs...can you say snap?

16. Chaos Prime

Chaos Prime Combaticon

Transtech SS you say? I'd like to see that sometime.

17. Mirage914

Mirage914 Invisible

I would of loved to see the op trukk and munkey design made into a toy.

18. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I think, but I'm not sure, that I have seen it, but then again, all your stuff kicks ass Drav.

Transtech was the one thing that I will never ever ever forgive Hasbro for. We could have had one last GREAT show after BeastWars with ridiculously great toys, and Hasbro turned it down for RID.

I am happy with Hasbay's new movie, and I love them for the Classic Line, but Transtech was one thing that will forever scar me as the time Hasbro hurt my feelings :D 

19. Chaos Prime

Chaos Prime Combaticon

I think Transtech would have been interesting. I remember first seeing some of the character sheets for them, and raising an eyebrow in confusion, but I accepted it.
    My biggest problem for the movie characters is the very little resemblence of the characters their based on.
    Optimus I can live with. I wish he didn't have those male model pouty lips, but whatever.
    Bumblebee's ok. I'm warming up to him. He just needs a little more body armor. He looks like he's running around half naked.
    Ironhide just looks evil. He looks more badass then Megatron, and that shouldn't be. He's more like evil version of Trailbreaker, being a black pickup truck and all.
    And Megatron looks like the art department just ran out of ideas when they got to Megatron, and scribbled something, that vaguely reminds me of an old Voltron monster.
    I could go on about some of the other characters, but I won't.
    That's what really irks me about the character designs. The fact that their is little to no resemblence of the characters that I like.
    To me it would be like if William Shatner was cast to play Proffessor X instead of Patrick Stewart. Stewart looks like Proffessor X, that's why he was perfect for it. (At least I think so). Creating a genaric anime monster and slapping the name Megatron on it just doesn't do it for me. At least I think so.

20. Chaos Prime

Chaos Prime Combaticon

I don't like SS design for the movie, but i do have to agree with you on that. The only reason he was able to pull off that stunt on the bridge is because of those monkey arms of his.