Would I be insane to limit my modern collection to these?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Nightrain, Nov 20, 2009.

1. Nightrain

Nightrain Senior Villain

News Credits:
    [​IMG]

Five Autobots, three Decepticons. I basically looked at my chosen ones from Classics/Animated/Movie/Other-Takara and found these to be my favorites. If a new one comes along that I MUST HAVE, it will replace a current one. I've wanted to minimize my collection for a long time but never had the balls to do it. Comments on this insane idea are more than welcome :D 

Some notes:

-I'd prefer to have Henkei Cyclonus, if I could ever find one that isn't $60.

-Movie toys are not purposely left out. I did consider Sideswipe and I am considering red Rampage and Brawn.

-Alternators and Masterpiece don't count. I am cheating tho and not counting a Botcon set either.

-I'm thinking I'll let a friend's kids pick over the leftovers before deciding what to do with the rest.

2. thenatureboywoo

thenatureboywoo Veteran

News Credits:
    Your collection can be what you want it to be.

3. smkspy

smkspy is one nice fucking kitty

NO! You must a completist and buy every modern Transformers. You must also like every singles without question! You're ruining this fandom!

4. Kupp

Kupp Ford Fanboy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I personally perfer the Henkei Cyclonus with the hasbro targetmaster, so if you find one without a targetmaster he could be a good score. The chrome nebulon is overrated. However the Chrome targetmaster does look kickass with Classics sideswipe.

5. Optimus Vader

Optimus Vader Banned

I don't think you're crazy at all... just a little :p 

I don't have a massive collection, but I do have over 70 at this point. I HATE clutter though, so most of them are in bins in my closet and I only keep about 5 out.

6. QmTablit

QmTablit Disguise: Check. Robot...

It is your collection, so what you do with it is completely up to you. I can fully understand cutting down on your collection to possibly save on some money or any other reason really.

I say, just think it over and ask yourself what it is you really want out of your collection.

And letting a friend's kid pick through want they want is really nice. But kids being how they are and parents being how they are, you probably won't get a cent for anything. LOL

The Junkion here is a good place to get some of your money back.

7. leov36

leov36 Rubber Wheel'd UM

i think its a good idea. id like to get rid of all my movie crap for sure, possibly my animated, and just stick to my MP's, G1's and maybe a few robot heros

8. Skylock

Skylock Rogue

News Credits:
    I usually only get the ones I really like, that's how its supposed to work.

9. theestampede

theestampede Wandering Artist

News Credits:
    I don't think its possible for a human being to be sane, just a little more sane than the rest of humanity.

10. barrelks

barrelks Captain Funtastic

News Credits:
    I think it is great, and wish I could, but I am too hooked. Even if I did, I would add a few more, but I really appreciate a clean, well-thought out display and less figures (or more display space) seems to do that. Although I do appreciate Miasboytoy and other's large collections at the same time.

We had a local boardie who sold off a lot of his stuff and shift over to 12 inch (Marvel, Batman, etc) figures, havent seen his collection yet, but it should look awesome. Although the figures may be more expensive, it is less clutter, less hunting, and easier to budget for (IMO). I just dont have the disipline to do it.

11. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan www.megamoonman.com TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    I'd at least swap out the crappy Tit Magnus for the beauty that is FP City Commander.

It would fit your scale as well, as everything but him is about right.

12. T-money

T-money Cake is good

News Credits:
    Down-sizing is a good thing. More space in your place and money in your pocket. I intentionally keep a small collection for those reasons. If I were you, I'd sell those others to make some money.

13. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    I have no modern gaming console and more Transformers. It's all good. :) 

14. Dran0n

Dran0n Junk male

News Credits:
    Personally, I would keep all my plastic crack, but it's your collection.

15. Sage o' G-fruit

Sage o' G-fruit Critics gonna critique

News Credits:
    I wouldn't, in case you regret it.

But I'd keep it as an option if you've ever got money troubles.

16. Nightrain

Nightrain Senior Villain

News Credits:
    Then my work here is complete :D 

It's an interesting thought. I'd be perfectly willing to buy him without the little dude at this point.

Yeah that's pretty much the same with me. I'm trying to become something of a minimalist, but that contradicts being a collector.

I'm just gonna let them have whatever before worrying about money. I've done it before.

Yeah I have thought about that but I really like that Magnus. I have a bias towards metal, and he doesn't need to be taken apart to transform. I do wish he was bigger, but I'm happy enough with him to not have to spend $100.

17. Midnight

Midnight Nerdicon

Why would you minimize your collection?!?!

I mean wow, I don't have a lot of space around here but that dosnt stop me.
    I go all out or not at all.

18. nails1

nails1 Well-Known Member

I don't think you're crazy at all. Here's my collection:

MP Prime in robot mode
    20th Prime in truck mode
    MP Megatron
    WST Grimlock

Those are the only Transformers that really appeal to me, so that's all I have. I have a bunch of old Transformers at my parents house, but I haven't even looked at them in probably 10 years.

I love reading this forum and looking at the collections, but the large collections on multiple shelves just isn't for me. Just a preference.

19. WhiteMocha

WhiteMocha TFW2005 Supporter

You know, I work with a fellow who is something of a minimalist, and I gotta say.... he is a happy guy. There's a certain Zen purity to unshackling yourself from material things. I admit that from time to time I have, looking at my bloated toy collection, felt tempted to do something like you are contemplating.

So far I haven't done it. I always worry that my moment of impulsiveness will lead to genuine regret later. But I really applaud what you're considering; for a collector it's a tough decision.

If you wanted to you could take a more incremental approach, like a trial run. You could let your neighbor's kids have their pick of the toys to which you genuinely do not feel any attachment, the weak links in your collection (as a self-centered aside, for me that's the AEC trilogy stuff... that stuff is sooooo expendable). Then take the other ones that you like but aren't sure about, and box them up in storage for a while. See how you like having a tiny, focused collection. If, after six months or so, you feel content, then sell or give away those boxed ones, too.

Good luck!

20. nails1

nails1 Well-Known Member

Also, I have a sort of strange perspective on the Transformers as a whole. When I was a kid in the 80s I watched the show and got the toys like most other boys in 1984. I watched the first 2 seasons of the show and loved it.

Then the movie came out. I was not able to see it because for some reason my parents would not take me. I don't recall why. I DO recall the series changing completely in season 3. All of the characters were gone and there was an all new cast. I stopped watching and never saw another Transformers cartoon. I never got back into it at all until just before the first live action film came out. That's when I purchased my current "collection".