Would have optimus have died if Hot Rod not interfered

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by G1-LORD GANGSTA, Dec 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    Couldn't hot rod have just shot megatron from where he was standing with his laser arms?

2. sto_vo_kor_2000

sto_vo_kor_2000 Banned

If he had a clear shot, if he had the energy to do so, if he felt he could do any damage...

lots of if's

3. exomega255

exomega255 Emerald Green

News Credits:
    Sto, I believe someone here (and I cannot verify atm since I am at work), pointed out that hot rod's energy shot were used by meg? Even if that is not the case, yes, its a lot of "if's".

You argue that the whole point of the plot line is to kill Optimus off, and I agree. But as an argument here, I thought we were solely talking about what Hot Rod did as a response? I mean, if we can just say that optimus have to have died (which is true) anyways because plot and the writers and creators dictates so, then that's the end of the argument. Just like any movies that have a character dying, can never be argued about "if so and so did this instead they wouldn't have died" because everything is subject to plot line. If that is the case, what is the point of discuss this at all?

4. Trailbreaker77

Trailbreaker77 Camaro Club! Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Yes because the only reason he died was so Hasbro could sell us new product.

5. exomega255

exomega255 Emerald Green

News Credits:
    Also, since you like to use the "poor assumption" argument about there is a lot of "if's" Then let me refute your response and Kusanagi's: you are ASSUMING as well, that optimus will get distracted.

If hot rod's shout will actually distract optimus. Yours is based on as much extrapolation as any of us are doing. But isn't this what fandom discussions are all about when we are talking about unrealistic things?

If optimus' optical sensors are tied with his hearing sensors? If optimus' processor cannot handle both function at the same time with the same amount of focus given?

In the same way of no assumption and basis for optimus to get the first shot, there is no assumption that Megatron will, as well.

Please. We can go on all day about this. We can talk about how my arguments are based on poor assumptions, but we can also say that any counters thrown, and any counters thrown to those counters for that matter, is a case of poor assumption. So maybe the topic starter should have defined more clearly under what rules are we to speculate whether or not it is "hot rod's fault".

6. exomega255

exomega255 Emerald Green

News Credits:
    Yes, I agree and that is an important point. And if we are going to say that he is going to die anyways no matter the cause, etc. And that Hasbro is the one that dictates, then this argument is closed, right?

edit:: eh... I want to state for the record, that I don't condone an extreme on either side: aka Hot Rod has no blame, or it has all the blame, etc. I came to this thread kinda expecting a more intellectual discussion instead of the "blah blah blah, but in the end its Hasbro" type of circular arguments.

If we have so many If's (lol) then why bother to speculate? We don't have anymore accurate information aside from extrapolation or we can just ask the writters themselves.

7. DrGrim

DrGrim OBEY

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Yes, he would have died because the writers wanted Prime written off. Whether Hot Rod was included or not, they would have had him killed.

I think that the writers at the time hadn't really thought about the damage that scene would do to Hot Rod. They were building Hot Rod's character up through the whole movie, making him out to be a big deal, and leading up to making him Optimus Prime's replacement. So I don't think they meant to have that scene give a bad outlook on Hot Rod. I mean, yeah, it did in the end make a lot of fandom dislike him, but I just don't think it occurred to them at all.

8. sto_vo_kor_2000

sto_vo_kor_2000 Banned

I dont think so.....but I'll check.

People like to trow in any relevent info.

I see where your going I just dont think its wise to disregard the plan the writers had as a point of argument.

9. exomega255

exomega255 Emerald Green

News Credits:
    Sto,

If that's the case, I think the question of the TC have been answered, right? Because Optimus Prime was scheduled to die anyways, by any means, it defaults to however the writer wants him killed. So then the TC's question, which is

"Would Optimus have died if Hot Rod not interfered", would be, "yes, because the writers said so".

So we have closure already. There was no reason for any of us (including me) to use any other reasoning.

10. sto_vo_kor_2000

sto_vo_kor_2000 Banned

Theres alway reason to speak your mind.

11. QmTablit

QmTablit BotBot in the what, I said BotBot in the what

It's debate about an 80's cartoon. No reason to get angry or take things personal.

And my previous responce wasn't a nitpicky dig at your post, exomega. Like I said, "people" in the thread has used that scenario. "People," not "exomega." You just happened to have been the one who posted before me and had used that point.

And yes. If a Cybertronian being hears something, they will turn their heads toward it to see what it is. At no point in the cartoon leading up to the film, the film itself, or even in the new live-action movies is it suggested they can process and distinguish both sight and sound any different than we do other than obvious technological advantages (telescoping, microscopic for some, etc.). Anyone called Optimus' name, and he turned his head to bring his focus to it. Every time.

12. Gammatron 64

Gammatron 64 Well-Known Member

Eh, I like my simple answer the best. The reason Optimus died is because the writers didn't give him plot armor that day. :lol 

13. JackKnife

JackKnife Well-Known Member

Well, all things considered: we know HIGH CHOLESTEROL didn't kill him! :lol :

14. MaxLinden

MaxLinden Deceptipunk

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Agreed.... But still hate Hot Rod/Rodimus Prime!

15. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    Good point. DAMN YOU, SNEAK ATTACK ON SHUTTLE/BRIEF SHOT OF DEAD WHEELJACK! *shakes fist*
    Ahem. Anyway.
    Hot Rod cocked up. No 2 ways about that. Without his "help", Prime probably had a damn good chance of survival. Megatron goes for pistol, Prime shoots him. Job done. Oh, no doubt Hot Rod thought he was helping. But then so does a kid who picks up his own poop and takes it to his parents.
    However; Prime being Prime, he'd have probably only sacrificed himself against Unicron anyway.

16. Human Beastbox

Human Beastbox The Murdinator

News Credits:
    I agree.

The Transformer movie screenwriters wanted Prime out of the picture by any means available to them.:tongue: 

17. einis

einis Want some candy?

News Credits:
    I totally agree!people just blame hot rod because he was around when prime died.the only thing that prime needed to do is press the triger ,not stand around and talk.
    hot rod has nothing to do with it

18. Rodimus Primal

Rodimus Primal Well-Known Member

Facebook:
    Twitter:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Hot Rod isn't really to blame. Megatron still KILLED Optimus Prime. Hot Rod's decision to jump in was brash as his character was. He even said "Optimus, forgive me!" He knew he was wrong and Optimus Prime did and probably was instrumental in being the fallen leader to choose him to "light our darkest hour!"

Had Hot Rod NOT acted though, there certainly is a LOT of possibilities that could have taken place. I think if Prime shot Megs he might have died as well but Megatron was reaching for the gun. Prime was hesitating to shoot IMO. What if Prime missed and Megatron shot Prime anyway?

19. exomega255

exomega255 Emerald Green

News Credits:
    I don't think Prime was one to miss, especially how he handled himself even in the movie before Megatron. He was more like in top shape.

20. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    That would still make Hot Rod guilty of being an accessory (or at least criminal negligence, as he should have known better), or since he's in the military, guilty of disobeying orders and gross incompetence, no?

Hot Rod suffered over his ascent to power though, and he definitely seemed to feel guilty about how he became leader, and doubted his abilities as a leader (which is kind of strange when you think he was thrust into the role by FATE / TRANSFORMERS GOD ITSELF), but at the same time it probably wasn't that great an idea from a marketing perspective to replace a popular character with another character who was constantly complaining to the audience they weren't as good as the character they replaced.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.