would endulging fans really have hurt the film?

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by HAIL_KING_PRIME, Aug 22, 2011.

1. HAIL_KING_PRIME

HAIL_KING_PRIME Well-Known Member

forgive me if this has been covered az I cant remember and am running out of credit!

ANYWAY like the title says would endulging fans really have hurt the film?
    and by this I mean things like keeping traditional colours of characters ,actually giving us an"ultimate Prime" in DOTM ,replacing a generic mechanical worm with already established characters,YEAH THAT'S RIGHT I'm mentioning some of the MANY things already mentioned on these boards about what MANY wished was included not only in DOTM but all 3 movies.
    that's the point of this thread,to discuss the value of such comments

feel free to ad elements that YOU wished were included BUT don't forget to also mention your thoughts on how you think they would have improved/hurt elements of there movies ie general appeal ,fan appeal,story, merchandising etc

2. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

I think it depends on how far you took it.

Certainly seems like there was room to add more for the old fans. Spiderman could work in the old cartoon song, Batman could make the Joker's make up somehow work in a more serious film, Rise of the Planet of the apes had little nods like a character named Bright Eyes. So a little more for old fans would not have sent the films crashing down in flames.

But you don't want to take it too far. Moral Kombat 2 tried to work everyone of the game characters into the movie to please the game fans and the movie ended up as a total unwatchable mess. Other films have been so fan so heavy that it was hard for non-fans to jump into the film universe. So too fan heavy would have hurt the films.

Fingers crossed that if we get another live action film that we get a fan friendlier team. Peter Jackson made some big changes to Lord of the Rings but if you were following the filming of it then it was hard to feel negative toward the production team when Peter Jackson was being so nice toward the fans. Kind of felt that Micheal Bay was not friendly at all toward old fans and that sort of colored my opinion of the films.

3. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    I see absolutely no reason why it would or should have hurt the film.

4. TylerMirage

TylerMirage I vawnt my berdt.

News Credits:
    THIS. Ash summed it up pretty perfectly. Having constant references every 15 seconds to "lobbing with Unicron" or "Remember the battle of Techna-Har?", "For the love of Primus!" or having every bit of dialogue be a line from G1, having Corey Burton voice every single character would be a bit much, in my opinion. But that's no reason to not have David Kaye or Garry Chalk have cameos. Or have a character with the last name of Welker. Or having the Decepticon holo-driver being Peter Cullen. Or whatever else. Little things like that.

But that's not to say that the films didn't have any little nods. There were plenty. :) 

5. Kaymac

Kaymac I'M REALLY FEELIN' IT!

Remember, a lot of people that would go to see these movies grew up with Transformers in the eighties, and some people went to see it purely for the nostalgia. Indulging that audience, which makes up a good chunk of the audience, wouldn't have hurt the film imo.

6. Incepticon

Incepticon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Well, without getting into all the beefs I have with these movies, the main problem I had with them was the lack of homages and/or character recognition. Nutshelled: I think Ironhide should have either been red or at least had some red on his design, Ratchet should have been white, Sideswipe should have been red or had his name be Silverstreak given is colors, Soundwave should have had his trademark synthesized voice, Megatron should have had an -obvious- arm cannon, Wheeljack & Mirage should have been, well, Wheeljack & Mirage, Jetfire should have been a giant white & red deco super soldier, virtually all new characters should have been named and depicted as old characters (ie: replace Blackout with Vortex, the Wreckers with other old school Autobots)... things like that.

Basically I think the only ones they got right in terms of indulging the fans and keeping the 'instant recognition' factor design wise were Prime, Shockwave, Ravage, Laserbeak, Long Haul, and to a lesser degree, Bumblebee. And that's not "hating" - just personal critiques I've always had in terms with how characters and/or character names were chosen.

7. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    I'm sure there were many nods to fans that could've been added without negatively impacting the films. As long as those nods aren't waving a giant flag so non-fans go 'What was that about?' when they happen it would've been fine. I know I get irked when I see something being given more attention than it should warrant within the story and feel I've just missed an in-joke. But as long as the nod works within the context of the story I see no problem with it. If non-fans don't realise they're missing an in-joke and TF fans see it and get it and feel more special and connected to the film because of it then I doubt those nods would make the film 'bomb' as many are so fond of claiming if such things were carefully included.

8. Nightrain

Nightrain Senior Villain

News Credits:
    How do you hurt a god awful film?

9. Gingerchris

News Credits:
    I believe you hit it in the back of the neck with a book and then kick it in the balls while it's down.

10. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    While playing a Metallica guitar solo.

Now THAT's a nod to fans of TFW humor. :lol 

11. Gingerchris

News Credits:
    Yeah, somehow throw that line into Sam's mouth when talking about school and I'd certainly laugh. :p 

Just need a roast pork gag now and we're done.

12. Krueger

Krueger Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    No, it wouldn’t have hurt the films. At the same time you can say it didn’t hurt the films that they weren’t more indulging towards the fans. I mean, yeah, a Gary Chalk cameo would have been nice as a general or something, but the fact that it didn't happen didn't hurt the films.

Saying that, I still think Peter Cullen should have turned up as Prime's holographic driver. Still don't know why they didn't do that after three films.

13. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout Hammer of the Gunplas

:lol 

14. hthrun

hthrun Show accuracy's overrated

Ebay:
    I already felt very indulged. No matter what they put into the movies, there will be people complaining that something else didn't make it. We got Optimus (voiced by Cullen), Megatron, Bumblebee, Soundwave (voiced by Frank Welker), etc., a human with the last name Witwicky (was that name ever even used in the cartoon?), Beast War references with Skorponok, sparks, and the All Spark (those weren't even in the G1 cartoon), and references to things that were only in comics like the Fallen and Wreckers.

Yet people are still complaining. What's wrong with new characters and new takes on old ones?

15. Incepticon

News Credits:
    Not everyone is complaining (yet) - they're simply pointing out some legit criticisms and/or things they wish were done differently. No big deal.

BTW, Skorponok was actually the leader of the Decepticon Headmasters from G1, and sparks also first appeared in G1. Just sayin... :) 

16. Nightrain

Nightrain Senior Villain

News Credits:
    Aha! So you admit they ARE the old characters and not just random robots with G1 names slapped on them as many here claim.

17. hthrun

Ebay:
    No, not EVERYONE...

Correct, but when watching the extra features of the first DVD the writers said they put Skorponok in there as a nod to Beast Wars.

It depends on which characters you're talking about. I believe some are the old characters done with a new look (like Ironhide) and others are new characters with old names (like Bonecrusher).

18. Incepticon

News Credits:
    Really? Huh, fair enough. I'm surprised I didn't remember them saying that, but I guess it's been a few years since I watched the TF1 special features.

I agree with that, and I'd say the same applies to Sideswipe, Jetfire, Arcee, Mirage/Dino, Wheeljack/Que, Brawl/Devastator, Wheelie and obviously Skids. All completely new characters just sporting old names.

19. hthrun

Ebay:
    Yeah, I remember them saying it at some point when they were discussing the characters. They also mentioned that the three most important Decepticons were Megatron, Starscream, and Soundwave, and Frenzy was in the movie as a nod to Soundwave...

20. Wheeljack_Prime

Wheeljack_Prime Don't eat me

News Credits:
    I'll have to disagree about the bolded ones, they're as much same character/new look as Ironhide, Ratchet, and Jazz were. Sideswipe's pretty much got his cocky, reckless, jock-like persona, Wheeljack's still the kooky old inventor (a few of the G1 comic series have implied him being one of the older ones), and Brawl's a simple minded brawler like always (he's even got the same basic design as in G1, with the turret on the back, the head, and the front tank treads as his chest). You can even make a small case for Mirage being same character/new body based on the original concept art and supplementary media.