Would anyone else like a Transformers CCG?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by agp, Jul 13, 2012.

1. agp

agp Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I've played various collectible cards games since the mid 90's and don't remember ever seeing a Transformers based CCG. I personally would love if someone got the license and made a game.

It seems like most CCG players I meet have an interest in Transformers. If Hasbro owns the comic art it seems you wouldn't even need to commission art, just make a game mechanic.

Anyone else feel the same?

2. G1Prowl

G1Prowl Prick, apparently

I can't see them picking something that would be universally liked by all. Trek CCGs, hell, any other licensed property for that matter, is streamlined and non-divergent enough to turn into a game like that. TFs are like pre-Crisis DC, a plethora of alternate realities with fans who are borderline religously loyal to their continuity. I'd see this game flop worse than any game in history.

3. WingedWeasel

WingedWeasel Well-Known Member

Yes, there are actually a couple threads on these boards for ones that are fan created. I've been working on mine for some time now.

There is potential but is it worth the investment to hasbro? I could see the argument going either way.

4. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    They've sort of had them. They were 3d model sets that were made from pieces printed on essentially die-cut credit cards, and they had a game associated with them. There was also a GI Joe TCG. All sold extremely poorly.

Keep in mind Hasbro owns Wizards of The Coast. If they wanted a Transformers TCG, they could very easily do one without having to license it.

5. agp

agp Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I forgot Hasbro owned Wizards of the Coast.

I am also surprised they've never done a miniatures game similar to heroclix.

6. Aernaroth

News Credits:
    They did. It was called Attacktix, aimed at younger audiences. It also tanked.

Also the 3D cards were sort of a miniatures game.

I'm not saying it couldn't work, done right, but efforts to fit it into their business model haven't gone well in the past, and Im not surprised they don't seem to have much interest in it now.

7. WingedWeasel

I never even knew those 3d ones existed until Gencon a few years ago. I don't know how much effort went into advertising them. But in any case why even bother if it is ultimately going to play 2nd fiddle to one of your own products (magic)? You would need to prove the Target demographics are different enough to validate the investment.

8. Aernaroth

News Credits:
    I think their biggest problem was that they weren't really marketed (but then again, how DO you effectively market a product like that?) and were basically treated as impulse buys at toy stores and comic shops, where they didn't do very well. I'm convinced they were dreamed up as a way to cash in on the extremely popular 3D card-based pirates miniatures game at the time, but I can't back that statement up with anything other than opinion, frankly.

9. agp

agp Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I just looked up the Attacktix and the 3D card/mini games, and boy did they look bad.

Maybe they wouldn't of bombed if they were aimed at teens and up, like most ccg's. Plenty of games have done very well in Magic's shadow. Quality mechanics and a popular license have traditionally done well in the ccg environment. It just doesn't seem like Hasbro would have interest in abandoning the kiddie market.

10. agp

agp Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I remember that Pirates game! We did a few booster drafts at our local store.

11. Aernaroth

News Credits:
    Well, that's one reason, and another is probably that they'd need fundamentally different manufacturing technology to make minatures in resin or metal like many of the popular franchises. It's also extremely expensive to develop, maintain, and market such a game in an already-saturated and entrenched market, so they probably didn't see much of a point or a return on their investment.

The attacktix game was much easier for them to do with their resources available at the time.

12. agp

agp Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Heroclix and their sublines are all plastic. I agree the market isn't there for metal/resin figures.

13. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    No.

14. WingedWeasel

I honestly believe there would be potential for a TF CCG/tcg/lcg/whatever to live as a strictly online game. the precedent is there in mtgo (sorta, there are many differences), and of course there is the psychological hurdle of people thinking they don't "own" their cards. However there's are tons of benefits including financial ones for the players. Plus I feel there is a lot of design space that can be explored when something is divorced from the physical medium.

15. Thenames9

Thenames9 D-d-d-d-duel!

News Credits:
    And they own Magic the Gathering I think.

16. G1Prowl

G1Prowl Prick, apparently

Problem is, how do you sell it? Look at how cheap fans are, multiply that by the finickiness of CCG players and you really don't have a market for this. The only thing anyone can do is make up a rules set for their own and do the artwork themselves. That's it. Same with a miniature game. Make up rules to go alongside, say, Legends class figs or the HOC/SFC figs.

17. Fishdirt

Fishdirt Tin Toy Transformer

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I think a heroclix version of tf would be awesome.

18. WingedWeasel

@GA1prowl: a valid point. I would like to believe there is a feasible price point, but I will admit bias. Although there are clearly continual costs associated with this approach (such as servers), I wonder in the long run would a pure online approach end up costing less to produce than a physical product.

There's of course other models such as the free to play approach that could be used and simply charge a monthly fee to play. Personally I think that wouldn't work (at first glance), but given more concrete numbers, and maybe more marketing data it would chsnge my opinion.

It's all hypothetical anyway. I am sure the idea has come across someone's desk already.

19. agp

agp Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I am currently playing A Game of Thrones which is an LCG (Living Card Game) and love that approach. The business model makes for a cheaper game and no aftermarket with costly rares.

20. butheadimus prime

butheadimus prime Picard?

Ebay:
    Make it using mtg mechanics and a set of rules that make it compatible for casual play and i think you gave a winner