Would a prequel work?

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Bluebe6, Jan 15, 2012.

1. Bluebe6

Bluebe6 Banned

News Credits:
    A prequel wouldn't work, at all.

A prequel, on Cybertron, would that work?
    Technically, the Autobots and Decepticons would be speaking in Cybertronian, because they havn't come to the Earth's language yet.
    But of course people wouldn't be able to understand.
    Even if there were subtitles, people would complain about it.

But if everything was in English, well that wouldn't make sense, and people would also complain about that.

Therefor, a prequel just wouldn't work out, unless no one talks throughout the whole movie... but hey, people would complain about that, too... :peoples: 

2. NCStarscream

NCStarscream Me Grimlock cute

News Credits:
    There's been plenty of movies that take place on Earth with nothing but human characters set in countries where nobody speaks English in reality, but everyone in the movie speaks it just for the sake of ease of storytelling. I don't see why that would be perceived as a problem by the general public.

3. Overlord Balder

Overlord Balder Voices Slugslinger!

Cost is our main problem here, and that problem single-handedly destroys everything else.

A prequel could only barely work if it were on Earth, as I suggested, maybe a story about Megatron's frozen body and The Seekers fighting among themselves until only Jetfire survives.

4. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    No-one in Gladiator spoke Latin. No viewers gave a shit.

5. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    Would it work for us? Yeah. I'd love it.

Would it work for the general public which is 99.5% made up of non-Transformers fans? No.

6. LacksAFace

LacksAFace Devastator's Balls

This, cost.

7. QLRformer

QLRformer Seeker

News Credits:
    "A prequel could only barely work if it were on Earth, as I suggested, maybe a story about Megatron's frozen body and The Seekers fighting among themselves until only Jetfire survives."

Absolutely, in fact the ROTF trivia on IMDb states:
    "The photos of Seekers are a Ford Model T automobile, a B-24 "Liberator" bomber, an F-104 "Starfighter" jet, an "Albatross" D III biplane (Ransack, who appears only in the movie novelization), and an SR-71 "Blackbird" jet (Jetfire). These photos allude to the "Transformers: Evolutions" comics, where the Transformers awoke in the 1800-1900s and took the form of locomotives, steamboats, zeppelins, and other turn-of-the-century vehicles."

"According to Simmons and later Jetfire, the Transformers were on Earth many centuries ago, and played a part in Earth's history. This parallels the history of The Transformers, where the Transformers came to Earth (both Autobots and Decepticons crash-landed violently and remained comatose till they awoke in 1984); and the Transformers comic 'Hearts of Steel', where the Transformers awoke in the 1800-1900s (and took the form of locomotives, steamboats, zeppelins, and other period vehicles)."

The concept of Seekers fighting each other on Earth was seen in the movie comics NEFARIOUS and SECTOR 7, but since nobody paid much attention to those we could adapt this into a prequel involving the early years of Sector 7, with a cameo by Jetfire, Mega-man and of course Archibald Witwicky himself. It could be something like what's happening with PROMETHEUS and THE HOBBIT: a prequel that could stand on its own, but ties into the other films.

8. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    No.

3 words. Star Wars Prequels.

Besides i'd rather let this continuity die.

9. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    Actually if there had been a Latin voice track in Gladiator I would have been pretty impressed. The backup singers in the soundtrack sang some latin though...

I think a prequel would be pretty ill-received by general audiences if only because the central story of the trilogy "starts" on earth in the first film, even if other outside events lead to it.

I think it would be more likely we'd see a live action prequel that covers the history of S7, but then again I dont think that would be a concept that would sell as well as the first three films. I'd like to see it, even if it is a conept that might be better suited to a comic or webisode series (and already WAS adapted into a comic).

10. Kaymac

Kaymac I'M REALLY FEELIN' IT!

People go to these movies to see the robots, so I don't think a prequel would be a hard sell as some people say. They already know these movies make a huge amount of money, so experimenting with new ideas seems like a good way to go. A purely CG movie, set on Cybertron might not have the appeal of awesome Earth cars driving around, but at least there wouldn't be any of those stupid fleshies everyone complains about getting in the way.

11. Devil Prime

Devil Prime Well-Known Member

I can tell you that a grand total of 5 people would care if they spoke English in a prequel.

12. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

As a live action film it would not work. I would just cost too much money and it would take too long to make considering how long it takes the ILM computers to render the Autobots and Decepticons at their current level of detail.

As a direct to video animated film it could work out well.

13. wrecker11

wrecker11 Wrecker

No matter what a prequel to me would be crap cuz what cybertron looks like in DOTM

14. Wheeljack_Prime

Wheeljack_Prime Don't eat me

News Credits:
    No, because it would be a cost-ineffective fanwank.

15. OP84

OP84 Well-Known Member

Not everyone goes to see the robots, maybe some people (stupid people) would just go to the movies to jerk off to Megan Fox or Rosie-Huntington-Whitely. But think of it from a marketing perspective, they could easily re-cast the voice actors with more famous people to attract a larger audience, but then that would betray the fanbase wouldn't it? Hasbro and Activision couldn't release a video game based on the film because there already is a game set on Cybertron that is better than any movie tie-in could possibly be. Hasbro and GM couldn't market a vehicle along with the film because there are no Earth-based vehicles. And most importantly, we already have the basic idea on the backgrounds of the major characters from the comics and making a film based of that wouldn't necessarily work due to their slow pace and few action scenes.

16. SuperJazz

SuperJazz Dictator of my Dimension

All I have to say is yes, yes and more yes. Also speaking English would be advisable because i'm pretty sure coming up with the Cybertronian language and noises is hard. But you can make them transform into Cybertronian forms of their earthly forms. I mean Megatron could transform into a jet in the first one and he didn't look at anything on Earth. Besides, Cybertronian vehicles look boss! :rock 

And if some of the fans try to kill each other for minor details, just sit back and watch them tear themselves apart. It'll be fun! :popcorn 

17. SGTsoundwave

SGTsoundwave Steam Powered Automaton

DOTM would take place after a prequel.... prequel means that there would be a film that takes place before the first film, and we would see how cybertron got that way. we saw a small chunk of the cybertronian war and it was awesome!

18. StaticShin27

StaticShin27 Active Member

It really does all come down to cost and basically...the people who would care for a cybertronian prequel are getting their fill with the recent WFC/FOC games

19. G1DeadEnd

G1DeadEnd Bring on 5, 6, 7 & 8!

News Credits:
    Here is my response from another thread in the movie section, however it also applies in this thread:

20. Stepper

Stepper Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Don't think anyone will appreciate the prequel