Would a more light-hearted and comical TF movie work better?

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by NemesisPrime12, Dec 20, 2017.

1. NemesisPrime12

NemesisPrime12 Well-Known Member

Instead of going and trying to be more serious and "dark" on each sequels, would it be better if they change the tone to more light-hearted and comical? I mean, look at this:

• Like Like x 4
  2. Crim

Crim Well-Known Member

It would be better if they instead invested in character development and had a coherent story.

• Like Like x 21
  3. siccoyote

siccoyote Worst side of the fandom

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    That does make AOE look good

• Like Like x 4
  4. Lazlow007

Lazlow007 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    lol This makes TF4 100x better

• Like Like x 3
  5. MegaPrime1007

MegaPrime1007 The Great Defender of the Movieverse

News Credits:
    jesus fucking christ with these threads dude. R u in school man? Try making a Youtube channel, getting a girlfriend, or something to make yourself busy.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Silvia

Silvia Well-Known Member

Look, I do not care what the film is going to be about as long as the robots are the main characters, and they make an effort in developing them. Also, good fights and a well-developed plot.

• Like Like x 4
  7. Galvatross

Galvatross Online Fandoms Suck! Veteran

I didn't think some of the films were as dark as fans made them be. Sure, they had dark scenes, like Ratchet's death and melting, Laserbeak's assassinations, and humans getting vaporized in Chicago, but they were still upbeat overall. I think in terms of tone they were about where they needed to be. If DotM and AoE were exactly like 2007 or the G1 cartoon they would not have worked in my opinion.

• Like Like x 4
  8. Jochimus

Jochimus Well-Known Member

Meh. The mashup's nice, but Marvel gets carped on enough for their tone, which is just as much as DC does; as it is, Justice League's total 180 with Superman sounds pretty jarring compared to what came before with that particular version of the character. Besides, just gussying up everything with wisecracks and classic rock won't fix the larger problems with THESE movies anyway.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Galva Prime

Galva Prime Abominable fusion of Autobot and Decepticon

News Credits:
    The thing is in the last two or three, the robots, with a few exceptions, are treated as cartoonish, 'comical' characters, providing comic relief more than doing anything to move the story on, so I don't know that making it more comedic would necessarily help.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Hadlen_Weltall

Hadlen_Weltall Gunpla and Cow Master

Less tone deaf jokes are needed, but really this trailer mash-up does well is give us more time with the characters the movies are supposed to be about. VGCats did a comic for the first film that summed it up perfectly "Dawson's Creek!! oh yeah, guest starring some giant robots.."

• Like Like x 1
  11. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

Dark, serious, and even grim have their place. Movies like The Dark Knight or Dunkirk have done well with that sort of tone and feel. But it's not something you can just slap onto anything just so you can say see see it's not just for kids, our thing is all adult because we are super serious.

Something fun can really help when you are going for that summer pop corn roller coaster type thrill ride of a film. While it might not make you Oscar bait there isn't anything wrong with a film that wants you have a good time and leave the theater feeling like you had a good time. It also seems like it's way easier to over look the flaws of a movie if the idea is hey we are just going to have a little fun rather than we are going to be so damn serious that you better take our movie serious.

• Like Like x 5
  12. primal789

primal789 Prime

News Credits:
    Well TLK had Cogman..Burton.Simmons..c'mon.I think DOTM is still the darkest of the series..even if AOE has Ratchet's death and they are all hunted there's no way in my opinion to be darker than the Chicago invasion..people just desintegrated..plus there are assasinations by Laserbeak,The Autobots are exiled and their ship blown up..Prime loses a hand and almost dies..I mean the whole betrayal of Sentinel is dark in itself so to me nothing can compare with DOTM's "dark".I can go as far to say the Chicago invasion felt more apocalyptic than TLK's end of the world plot..I still love them both,but in comparison this is how I feel about it.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Moy

Moy Constructicons!

News Credits:
    Sure it would, it worked for the suicide squad scene in TF5 and the twins right? :tongue: 

• Like Like x 1
  14. agent j 15

agent j 15 Unfuckwittable

For fucks sake how many more threads like this are we gonna fucking have

TONE IS NOT THE PROBLEM, SHITTY WRITING AND DIRECTING IS

The dialogue and stories in these movies are atrocious no matter the tone, and the directing serves no purpose other than to look cool. Not even good, just cool. Until we get some people behind the camera who give a shit about something other than a paycheck we're not gonna have a good TF movie I don't give a fuck if it's a lighthearted romp or a dark war drama, tone does not make a movie good.

• Like Like x 8
  15. Gordon_4

Gordon_4 The Big Engine

News Credits:
    Some between the action levity wouldn’t got astray.

• Like Like x 1
  16. NemesisPrime12

I'm agree with everything you said here.. In AoE's story is actually look darker than DOTM on paper, but in execution, not so much

17. Cosbydaf

Cosbydaf Well-Known Member

What makes that edited trailer appealing, is that it suggests that the movie is almost entirely focused on the Transformers, with the Autobots working together to rescue Optimus from Lockdown as the film's focal point. The jokes are still "meh".

From what I remember, the comedy is possibly the single worst aspect of these movies. It was such bad comedy, that it makes me suspect that "comedy" was being used as a pretense to half-ass it, like "These parts are intended to be funny, so we don't have to bother trying to make it engaging. Just have the characters scream at other until the next Transformer scene."

If you removed all the comedy, it wouldn't automatically make them great movies - but it would get rid of things like Bumblebee urinating on John Turturro, Devastator balls, and "Deep Wang."

• Like Like x 1
  18. NemesisPrime12

Actually, from my experience:
    1. Bumblebee urinating Simmons: it's funny
    2. Devastator's scrotum: I had a small "haha" moment
    3. Deep Wang: yes, remove it. Makes me cringed

19. Michael Payton

Michael Payton Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm re-watching the movies this month. I'm only up to Revenge of the Fallen, but I have to say it's the humor that ruins most scenes for me. It's trying to fit in with the Adult Swim/stoner style humor that it misses the mark of actually being funny. Maybe because I'm not high or twelve, but it just misses the mark completely. If you've seen Bay's Pain and Gain, you see that this is Bay's normal humor style. It just doesn't work. You edit out the terrible humor and the first two movies vastly improve. I'll try to finish them this week if time permits.

• Like Like x 5
  20. siccoyote

siccoyote Worst side of the fandom

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Especially anything to do with the parents

Last edited: Dec 24, 2017
    • Like Like x 2