Would a characters function work as a name if their name cannot be used?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Bass X0, Apr 2, 2008.

1. Bass X0

Bass X0 King of Muay Thai

News Credits:
    The name Motormaster cannot be used. How about if they had the name "Stunticon Leader" on the packaging where the name goes. Its not changing the identity or actual name of the character, its just getting around the packaging name problem.

I wouldn't mind "Autobot Defensive Strategist" as Trailbreaker's 'name' either or "Decepticon Fueler" instead of Tankor as Octane's 'name'.

2. Ramrider

Ramrider TF Art Lad

You might not mind it in lieu of their real name, but some kid's hardly going to be riveted by it. That kid's going to at least want a name for it, even if it isn't the one you (and I) grew up with.

I'll be happy to buy Tankor and call him Octane, just as I bought Energon Downshift and Shockblast and called them Wheeljack and Shockwave, along with a ton of others whose names I've changed.

3. kasper0v

kasper0v Well-Known Member

I call all my toys Fred.

4. Petro-rabbit

Petro-rabbit Why so serious?

I wouldn't be bothered by the tf's function replacing their name on the box but thats because I know what the original name is supposed to be. Younger generations might not know who the toy is supposed to be and they would need some sort of name for the character.

5. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    I could imagine the tech specs reading: 'Stunticon Leader is the motor master of the team...' :) 

6. weeklyhero

weeklyhero Prototytan

I know I rename a lot of my toys. I got Cybertron Galvatron and just call him Megatron instead. But if they went with a function instead of the name, it makes it sound like they're all generic shock troopers or something. Besides, a younger kid that never knew Tankor was once Octane won't give a crap that he's got a new name.

7. Dropshot

Dropshot Transform your destiny

News Credits:
    I honestly prefer a name, you could add decepticon or autobot in the name just as the movie line did.

8. Ramrider

Ramrider TF Art Lad

When it comes down to it, the name on the box is pretty well immaterial. If they can use the original name on a fig, they do. If not, then they'll usually just give it a different name (as with the movie line, where the names needed to stay the same as the movie characters, Brawl notwithstanding).
    But what you call the fig when you get it home is entirely up to you.

9. JOHNDILLINGA

JOHNDILLINGA This Space For Rent!

News Credits:
    according to Wiki, Motormaster's Japanese name was Convoy(?) as well as Prime was named Convoy... must have gotten pretty confusing...

And Since "Motormaster" or "Stunticon Motormaster" can't be used...

how about Motorboss, Rigmaster, Crasher (didn't he like ramming things? and yea I know it's a gobot name...) or Convoy (last ditch choice)

I don't think the actual name mattrers much as long as we can get a homaged figure intended to be him.

10. Batman

Batman The Dark Knight TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    This would only work for Wheelie.

Couldn't they just call him Decepticon Motormaster?

11. JOHNDILLINGA

JOHNDILLINGA This Space For Rent!

News Credits:
    No i believe it's the "Motormaster" part that can't be used at all.

Since Microsoft holds it in it's iron grip...

12. weeklyhero

weeklyhero Prototytan

Microsoft holds it? What's stopping Hasbro from using the name in the first place then? Trademarks only work in a designated field, right? It's keeping another toy-maker from using the anem for one of theirs, but since software (I'm assuming that's what Microsoft is using the anem for ) has nothign to do with action figures, the name shouldn't be off-limits anyway, right?

Or am I WAY off here?

13. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    I come up with Better name's alot.

14. Ramrider

Ramrider TF Art Lad

Good on yer. Given the name choices they've made over the last few years, it's not hard, and to be honest, I thought a good deal ofus were already in the practice of it. :p 

I'm about as confused as WeeklyHero, though. MotorMaster is a program for estimating motor efficiency and such; how does Microsoft's use of it impede on Hasbro? No-one's going to be confusing Microsoft's program with the Transformer. Trademarking laws are weird.

15. Chosen

Chosen Space Ninja

That's because it's simply not true. It's as silly as saying Hasbro couldn't use the name Shockwave because of the Adobe program. Hasbro would have some other reason why they can't use Motormaster, perhaps even the simple problem of "generic word" or something like that.