Would 3rd party G1 figures work out?

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by VE Telus, Apr 20, 2012.

?

Will you buy 3rd party, G1-inspired toys, as all new characters or reverse homages?

1. Yes

35.7%
  2. No

44.6%
  3. Maybe

19.6%
  1. VE Telus

VE Telus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    With all the CHUG updates by 3rd parties, it got me thinking:

Would you buy a 3rd party G1 figure, tailored after the G1 aesthetic (chrome, diecast, launching missiles, separate fists, etc.) to fill in for other 80s vehicles, or reverse homages of current characters?

I would love to own a G1 take on Cheetor, Sentinel Prime, or Wrecker Roadbuster. Thoughts?

2. Bountyan

Bountyan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Nah. I don't really see the appeal of G1 brick-like toys unless they're the real old thing. It would be cool to see designs for them, but I wouldn't care for toys.

3. mugen_prime

mugen_prime Well-Known Member

I personally wouldn't buy any. Although the reverse homage thing sounds interesting. It would be kinda interesting to see a G1 Bulkhead, Lugnut, Lockdown or Drift.

4. Thundershot

Thundershot The guy with 28 Sweeps

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Where's my Glacialbots???

5. Orodruin

Orodruin @deathformer TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    So like a G1 Lugnut? I dunno... I could see some appeal for a couple characters, but given that they'd be bricks they'd need to be pretty cheap, and I don't see a ton of people biting on them.

6. masishadow

masishadow Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I don't collect G1 and that is one that I would swoop up in a heartbeat. <3 Lugnut

7. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout Hammer of the Gunplas

No.

With the way 3rd parties work, the figures are already pretty expensive to make and it's better to increase the chance of selling by having a figure that appeals to as large an audience as posssible. Only a select few would care for a G1-era engineered bot, but EVERYBODY loves super-articulation.

8. brr-icy

brr-icy G1 Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    maybe for the unreleased protos, but reverse homages? not very likely

9. CZ Hazard

CZ Hazard Sons of Unicron PTT

News Credits:
    Arcee or Unicron based on prototypes, maybe. G1 was G1, toys are different now.

10. OptimusTimelord

OptimusTimelord Masterpiece Reanimator

Echoing what's been said already, I'd be interested in actual prototypes that nearly-were like Arcee (not the Chromedome repaint, the unique mold proto). And any others that perhaps I'm not aware of, or alternative unreleased versions etc.

But if you want 'G1' toys of modern figures, well, just glue their legs together and remove most of their articulation - Hey Presto...! :D 

11. Composite Ghost

Composite Ghost Motorized Transformer

News Credits:
    No.

12. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Prototype Black

I would say it'd be pretty cool to get figures of Arcee, Alpha Trion, Unicron, and perhaps another Junkion or two. And to be honest, I think the design and production of these could be comparatively cheaper since they'd be more simplified.

13. hardreturn

hardreturn Ian Reid

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    i'd honestly be super interested in a lugnut, bulkhead and vehicon G1 homage.

make bulkhead out of a Volvo C303 or something.

14. Taziir

Taziir Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    No.

I grew up with G1 and as much as I loved them as toys, I always, always wanted properly posable figures.

15. Girl Pants

Girl Pants aka brickonator

News Credits:
    I think it could work for characters like Arcee, Straxus, Unicron, etc. where they never had a G1 toy to begin with.

For everyone else though, they've had their toy, and frankly, for many of them nostalgia is the only thing they have going for them. Many G1 toys were not so great, it's just the characters they represent that makes them so memorable.

Alternatively, I would like to see some of the new "big name" characters from recent years get a G1 overhaul. How about a Barricade, Bulkhead, Lockdown, Blackout, etc. G1-ified? I'd be all over that. All the same, I'd probably prefer a Classics version anyway.

16. bcm77

bcm77 Well-Known Member

IMO Brickformers should remain a thing of the past.

17. DPrime

DPrime Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I voted yes. If the right characters were chose, like Arcee, Alpha Trion, Bulkhead, Lugnut, etc., collectors would eat them up.

There's more G1/vintage collectors out there than forums would seem to indicate these days. After all, there's not much "new stuff" to talk about when you're collecting vintage, but every time I'm at a toy show or meet, it's all about the old stuff. And I think those collectors would love to be able to put an Arcee or Elita one G1-style figure in their collections.

However, I also think it might be more difficult to pull off than people might think. After all, the newer, post-'86 movie designs never really captured the original Diaclone-type aesthetic. That's not just my opinion, either - I've read it time and time again from others.

As for Beast Wars... not so sure. The original BW figures still straddle that line between vintage and modern, imo. I think, if anything, most of them need updates (or at least update kits) rather than more vintage-type aesthetics.

Aside from TFs, I'd be all over Kenner-style SW figures... maybe not prequel/Clone Wars stuff (but maybe), but definitely OT characters done in vintage style who were never made as figures back then. Same with GI Joe (though I was getting a little tired of the reused parts in the Club figures).

18. Lbsammills51

Lbsammills51 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    The reverse homages to Lugnut, Bulkhead, Lockdown and others certainly interest me. Throw in Movieverse Barricade and Blackout (the names were originally used for G1 Micromasters, but I'd like bigger versions inspired by their Movieverse appearances).

19. Galva-Cannon

Galva-Cannon Well-Known Member

I was also looking forward to those Fansproject Glacialbots combiner team. It looked like they were going with this idea of "new" G1 toys. I hope they're still going to make them at some point.

So yes, I would buy this kind of thing. As long as they were lovingly crafted homages, and not just simplified junk. Diaclone style stuff, with really nice detail, diecast, chrome etc. I'd buy that, because I'd consider it a collector's piece, not a toy. If they were more like the 86' movie toys, I'd be less interested... i.e. simple bricks with alt modes that scream "toy" at you. Compared to the scale model-like attention to detail that made the 84'-85' toys so good.

20. Fragmare

Fragmare Desert Dog

Ebay:
    I'd probably bite on a few of the figures. I'm a sucker for G1... especially Series 1 and 2.

I wouldn't mind seeing a G1 styled Acidstorm and Icestorm (I'm honestly surprised these haven't been done by E-Hobby already).

The G1 prototype Arcee would be nice to finally see. Especially since my gf is increasingly wanting me to get a girl transformer for my collection lol.

A G1 styled Alpha Trion might also be nice too, depending on if they designed the thing right.