Worthwhile Voyagers?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by ZeroEdge, Sep 15, 2009.

1. ZeroEdge

ZeroEdge Geass'd

News Credits:
    So with the Zellers sale happening this week in Canada, I want to take advantage of it and maybe pick up a voyager along with Superion.

So I'd like to ask amongst what's out, and what's easily ready to find right now, what are some good voyagers from any of the lines I should consider picking up?

Preferably something Animated, as I don't have many from that line(Just prowl)

I've had my eye on Grimlock and Prime for awhile. But for Prime I may just wait for the Wing Blade.

2. NGW

NGW Rawr

News Credits:
    For Animated, definitely Shockwave/Longarm Prime, best figure in the line.

RotF definitely gotta recommend Mixmaster, again best in the line, IMO. Longhaul is pretty good, Starscream too. And I actually really like The Fallen.

As for Animated Prime and Grimlock, they're good enough (though I have issues with my Prime, loose shoulders, which are pin joints, so I've never been able to enjoy it like others have so my opinion on it isn't too hot). Grimlock is a pretty damn perfect adaptation of his G1 self in Animated style.

3. SwindlesShop

SwindlesShop Kenny Power's drug dealer

News Credits:
    definantly Grimlock he's perfect, and Shockwave's four alt mode's fun to toy around, as for ROTF Long Haul seems the best..

4. Dally

Dally Decepticon

Ebay:
    Right now I think one of my favorite Voyagers is Animated Blitzwing. Since you're into Animated I would totally recommend picking him up. Grimlock is another awesome Voyager from that line. Really you can't go wrong with any of the TFA Voyagers.

5. brr-icy

brr-icy G1 Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    here's my run-down of the molds

wingblade prime is the deluxe, but the parts will fit on the voyager, so he might be worth picking up, mine is perfect, the axe he comes with is crap,

grimlock is sweet except the gaping hole in his chest

lugnut other than his size is a perfect translation of his onscreen counterpart

blitzwing is good, i like him, jet mode is slightly floppy if not pegged in properly

shockwave is great, but finding him is hard here in canada

starscream might be harder to find, but he is nice

bulkhead is a neat but little figure, and if you are only getting one of each character skip him for the leader

wreck-gar does not exist in canada

6. Anguirus

Anguirus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I heartily recommend any of the Voyagers I own, which are (in rough order of awesomeness):

-Animated Shockwave (purple). I really love this guy for two things: he was an awesome character in the show, and he can also pass as a Universe Shockwave (in purple anyway) since he's not one of the most stylized Animated characters. As far as his alt modes, neither the tank nor the crane are that impressive IMO, but his transformation into Longarm is brilliant. He really looks different if you follow all the steps (and there are quite a few!)

-RotF Starscream. I go back and forth on this guy, but the fact is that he's one of the best jetformers we've ever seen. The bottom kibble is about as unobtrusive as you can possibly expect, and the robot mode is a damn solid likeness. His transformation is also FUN.

-RotF Mixmaster. He's near-perfect in truck mode and an amazing robot. They even threw in a third mode (which is kind of interesting but I don't bother with it, it amounts to yet another pose for the robot). The only real flaws are that his wheels kinda just hang off his arms and that the arm joints don't always want to stay a certain way, but it's still one of the most posable and creepy-looking Transformers I've ever seen. Lots of personality.

-RotF Megatron. Better than the leader IMHO. The only thing that just sucks about him is the color, it's way too green and the missile should be blue instead of red. Love his sword/cannon arm though, and his flying tank mode is awesome (though it leads to a bit of a backpack in robot mode that you have to deal with).

-Animated Starscream (well, mine's technically Sunstorm). I think this is a very neat transformation but somehow this figure isn't quite as good as the rest to me. You can get him in some good poses though. All Animated 'cons should be Voyagers for scale reasons, but part of me thinks this figure would have worked better as a Deluxe. It just seems a bit...blocky.

As for other Voyagers I'm familiar with: Grimlock seems good but I haven't transformed him. Blitzwing is cool for his face-changing gimmick but I honestly don't particularly like either of his alt modes, or his robot mode's posability. Animated OP is ok but I HATE his axe. RotF OP is...adequate. I like his guns and his face, but his transformation is cheaty and leads to a big backpack.

7. SharkyMcShark

SharkyMcShark Hi. I'm better than you

News Credits:
    Of all the ones I've picked up recently, Revenge of the Fallen Starscream is a good load of fun - he actually looks like an F22 in alt mode and the robot mode is good fun. The transformation is unsual and executed well. It's a shame that the cost cutting measures were emplyed between proto and final version (we missed out on hands than folded up in jet mode, ball jointed wrists, and rocket launchers sliding forwards).

RotF Mixmaster has one of the most insane transformations the TF world has seen, and has an austhetically pleasing and realistic alt mode to boot. He's very satisfying to play around with - he's got a cool spider vibe going for him.

RotF Long Haul is good aswell - he really conveys power, but also has allusions of being a drone, merely a tool for destruction. The flip out axes are cool, and alt mode is fun to play with.

RotF Megatron is really fun to play with, but the transformation isn't as creative as some of the other movie toys. Neither mode is really a stand out but it's just a package that works. Despite the faults he's probably the most fun I've had with an RotF toy.

Animated Starscream (and repaints) are great - the transformation from jet to robot is very simple (not so much the other way), but he's good an awesome Macross style vibe going for him (especially in vehicle mode, and certain parts of the robot, like the legs and feet). He's emotive and good fun to pose and mess about with.

I've got Megatron, Lugnut, Blitzwing, Grimlock, Bulkhead and the Twins from Animated but I can't really recommend any of them in honesty. Stay away from Blitzwing.

8. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    I unhesitatingly recommend Blitzwing, Bulkhead, Lugnut, Shockwave and Wreck-Gar.

9. Dom

Dom TFA Supporter

News Credits:
    TFA Voyagers are some of the best. Starscream/Skywarp, Grimlock, Wreckgar and Blitzwing are all fantastic. Top honours have to go to Shockwave though, its beyond cool.

Bulkie is ok, but the leader is better.

10. Omega_Soundwave

Omega_Soundwave Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ani Blitzwing is awesome to me, although he is a 'love it or hate it' figure. Shockwave rocks my socks off too.

11. eisen

eisen "CUT ME SOME SLACKS!"

starscream or any remolds

12. MrSoundwaveGuy

MrSoundwaveGuy I've made a huge mistake

News Credits:
    I would pass on Grimlock actually unless you plan on getting all the dinobots. I think he's rather overhyped

13. StarSaber79

StarSaber79 Banned

News Credits:
    -ROTF Starscream
    -ROTF Jet/Tank Megatron
    -ROTF Mixmaster
    -ROTF Long Haul

14. heshanj

heshanj Banned

News Credits:
    if ur getting animated, u should get prime.. awesome figure, and well.. u need a prime figure from any line, really.. grimlock is very cool too.. so is blitzwing and wreck-gar.. and of couse longarm/shockwave..

ROTF, mixmaster and long haul look awesome.. im not a fan of the new starscream mold

15. IronicHide

IronicHide MEME GO HERE

TFA - only have Blitzwing and Bulkhead.

BW: Disappointing jet mode vs cute tank & fun/expressive robot mode
    BH: Too small in robot mode, and loads of kibble

Don't have any ROTF voyagers.
    From the first movie, though, I have Ratchet and Ironhide (so only slightly different paint applications) and am regretting both of these as either one is outdone, for me, by their classics dlx namesakes.

16. Seawing

Seawing Lurker of the depths Moderator

News Credits:
    TFA: Shockwave/Longarm a really great figure; two robot and 1 1/2 alt modes can't be all bad... Also get Voyager Prime; the Wingblade Prime will be a deluxe sized but his gear is supposed to fit on the voyager too. Wreckgar is also a good buy.

ROTF: Long Haul is the best with Mixmaster a very close second. Another very good but and underrated figure is Stratosphere.

17. Grimlockprime16

Grimlockprime16 Me Grimlock King!

ani grimlock
    rotf starscream
    rotf ironhide

18. Bumblethumper

Bumblethumper old misery guts

News Credits:
    Lugnut and Bulkhead.

These were 2 I wasn't particularly interested in originally, but once you experience them in person, they are extremely satisfying. They are two of the most solid well made figures in years, and the transformations are clever and a lot of fun.

Blitzwing and Shockwave were disappointments. Shockwave is probably the worst. I don't like the rubbery parts on Blitzwing, and how loose the alt modes are. Shockwave is good in bot mode, but that's about it.

Starscream is totally ingenious, but unfortunately in the real world the automorph doesn't work as well as it should. Good bot and alt mode though.

Outside of TFA, I'd recommend ROTF Starscream. Some of the best engineering I've ever seen.

19. Sage o' G-fruit

Sage o' G-fruit Critics gonna critique

News Credits:
    Animated Shockwave, Blitzwing, or Movie Voyager Megatron.

The Animated Battle Begins 2-pack is also really nice, 2 figures for the price of one.

20. Batman

Batman The Dark Knight TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Once you learn to use the waist gimmick, Animated Prime is awesome. Also the pieces for Wingblade Prime (who will be deluxe sized figure, but have a boatload of accessories to make him fit in the voyager class) will combine with the Voyager version :)