Worth ordering the 2010 Botcon Iacon Toy set?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by MaxGoof, May 4, 2010.

1. MaxGoof

MaxGoof Preordained Soul

News Credits:
    I'm a fan of G2 but can't attend Botcon this year, so I was planning to order the Iacon package ($375 for nonmembers + shipping) to get this year's set. However, looking at prices for last year's set, they can be found for well under $250. And that set had major characters like Scourge and Kup in it, while this set, well... doesn't.

Given that reactions to this year's set seem... substandard... would it be wise to wait and try to buy this after the con? I'd hate to pay around $400 shipped for just the box set and no extras and attendee figures if the set will be available for a lot cheaper later like last year's...

2. Jarodimus

Jarodimus the guy with that scan Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Reactions to this year's set seem much better to me than last year and 2005, and at least as good as 2008. I don't think you'll be able to find a 2010 set cheaper than list price any time soon.

3. Empir3

Empir3 Bedstructicon Empir3

Yea i agree

4. Megatronwp38

Megatronwp38 Megatron? Is that you!?!?

I am going to botcon but am on the fence about buying the set. It's pretty pricey and Im only going one day. The rest of the Time I'm going to be at the Parks. Plus I'm going with my partner and his son if I get the package it would be basically just for the toys since I wouldn't be able to take them with me to any of the special stuff without spending more money.

5. videriant

videriant Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Agreed. I've seen more positive reaction to this year's set.

But don't pay the nonmember prices. Pay the $40 to become a member and the buy the Iacon for $305. It's cheaper and you'll get the club magazine and incentive figure.

6. simplygriff

simplygriff ยต - Elitist Dick

News Credits:
    Reaction to the whole set seems more towards the Positive but the hate is pretty significant. People that love it LOVE it. People that HATE it, really really hate it. But I think they're in the minority. I don't think I'd take the chance if you really want it. I'd order the set. BTW, join the fan club. The ~$70 discount more than covers the club's ~$40 cost plus you'll get next year's free figure.

Bah: Beaten while typing. :lol 
    -G

7. Motor_Master

Motor_Master Lets the balls touch TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    In general the answer is yes.

I think what really brought last years set down in the opinion polls was that it didn't scream 25th anniversary. Secondly FP increased the number of sets produced to the point that it dried up the demand on the secondary market (at least for now). It seems like every year FP increases the production number for the boxsets, yet the number of Primus package holders doesn't seem to go up at the same rate.

Bottom line, you should probably order the Iacon package when registration goes up.

8. MidnightBliss

MidnightBliss Well-Known Member

If I were you, I wouldn't.

That leaves another set open for me!!!:D 

I honestly cannot wait.

9. Optimus Vader

Optimus Vader Banned

What do you do at these Botcons? I mean, I get the general idea (like a trade show for toy and comic people??), but other than seeing Hasbro and Takara stuff, what else is there to do there? I'm not trying to be a smart ass, just wondering what else there is to do at one of these.

Is it really something that requires a whole day, or is it something that you can go to for two hours and you've seen everything?

I'd like to check one out sometime, but I don't know what to expect and don't know that it's worth traveling for.

10. Jarodimus

Jarodimus the guy with that scan Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    ^ Tons of panels by any number of groups, including Hasbro, IDW, Activision, Fun Publications, movie writers/actors, TF series voice actors, and other guests. Autographs/meet-n-greets (not usually my bag but they're well-attended). HUGE dealer room containing just about every TF you could imagine, plus toys from other lines, T-shirts, etc. Reveals of lots of new TF products, usually including the chance to see them up-close at the Hasbro booth.

And most importantly, meeting new friends and hanging out with established ones. Always the most fun. The TFW crew is amazing!

11. Hotspot17

Hotspot17 Search and Rescue: Vet

News Credits:
    Agreed! Don't understand why people don't just do this.

12. Lumpy

Lumpy Taylor Swift Actionmaster Super Mod

News Credits:
    i'll be buying the iacon boxed set, and possibly a loose set too... haven't decided yet... but i'm getting more excited about this set, that's for sure...

13. Optimus Vader

Optimus Vader Banned

Thanks. I'll have to check one out someday if it ever comes to Philadelphia.

14. Abrogate

Abrogate Nondescript Former Poster

News Credits:
    Well, I have no idea what the future value will be, and you can spend your money however you want, but for me, the Iacon set is the thing I'm most excited about this year.

15. Big Filipino

Big Filipino John 3:16-17 says it all

News Credits:
    I agree. I get the impression that people are generally more positive about this set than last year's. I'd be surprised if the box set trades at a discount to it's original price after Botcon.

16. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Reactions to last year's set were mixed as well, yet it still sold out pretty quickly. I'd say if you're willing to pay the price, order as quickly as you can, because you can't count on 'consumer apathy' to guarantee time, and they (almost) never get less expensive over time.

17. Maximo Prime

Maximo Prime Bassist of Ill Repute

Ebay:
    i'm back and forth on getting these. they do look awesome, just trying to justify the cost, with my budget. but they are damn good looking.

I hope i can make it to another Botcon, i know this year is out.

18. videriant

videriant Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    The reaction to last year's set was because of the major character that were used. People were excited for Kup but had no idea what mold they could use. It has grown on people but the Red Alert mold for a major character like Kup is/was underwhelming, especially since Crankcase made better use of it. The sideways mold is also nice and it commands a nice price but to some people it's also not Scourge. The biggest mold in the set, Landshark was an entirely new character dwarfing Thunderclash non-prime. Flak was a nice deco but Hasbro had killed the appeal by releasing the mold twice less than a year before, and Overload was in G1 Flak's colors!!!

Some people just hate G2 and the obnoxious colors people associate with G2 but this year's set should do better based on the molds. If it does worse it'll be because of registration issues.