Worst surgeries in your family?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by UnicronHound, Aug 25, 2009.

1. UnicronHound

UnicronHound Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Like the title says whats the worst surgery or surgeries in your family? For mine it's my brother's and mother's. My mother had back surgery because she fell on the ice and went underneath a car whilst working on the EMT squad. They took one and a half discs out of her spine and fused the half disc, then put rods, pins, and all that nice stuff in her, then she became septic and still is to this day, she was laid up for a year and a half. She had to get us to use chair so that she could get to the bathroom, and slowly recovered, going from wheelchair, to walker to 2 canes to 1 cane now she walks decently. My brother is still going through his surgeries, his intestine burst open, and for a full week was laid out deadly sick, all his bile pour into his body, then finaly went to the hospital where they said another day and he'd be dead. They did emergency surgery cutting a fot of intestine out and pulling an inch out of his abdomin for a colastomy bag. He's just now having the surgery to have it reversed, just last Tuesday, now with the extreme pain he's in they may have to reopen him

2. x BlackMagnus x

x BlackMagnus x Is not impressed

News Credits:
    Just last week, my mother underwent a double masectomy in the attempt to rid herself of breast cancer. Right before the 7 hr. operation, she also had her ovaries, uterus and most(if not all)of her reproductive organs removed as well. Sadly, she carries the cancer gene. Kemo, radiation and many reconstuctive surgeries await her now.

She is still here, so, that is all that really matters now.

BM

3. Seawing

Seawing Lurker of the depths Moderator

News Credits:
    ^ wow, I hope your family members recover soon BlackMagnus & UnicronHound.
    Both my parents tore the rotator cuff of their right shoulder. (Not at same time) and had surgery to fix it. Dad had cancer years ago but beat it; no problems since
    *knocks on wood*
    I've been lucky so far and not had any medical problems so far.
    *knocks on wood again*

4. Digilaut

Digilaut My name is Drift.

News Credits:
    My brother is suffering from a muscle disorder/sickness, which, among many many many other things, have caused him to get scoliosis in puberty (because he was always hunched while growing).

His grave operation was that they had to realign spine structures, reform it, and finally put a metal strip all over his spine to lock it into place. It's pretty dangerous, especially for somebody why does not have the lifeforce of a healthy person..but thankfully, he managed. :) 

5. John_Force

John_Force 16xNHRA Funny Car Champ TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I beat all you guys.
    I had a surgery a while back (7-8 years ago) where they took out half of my small intestine and my colon.

I'm still ticking

*knocks on wood*

6. Spekkio

Spekkio Master of War

This is a depressing thread....

Anyway, my mother has rheumatic heart disease. (A bout of rheumatic fever during her childhood damaged her heart.) She's been in and out of hospitals - open heart surgery, then a node ablation, a pacemaker, an artificial heart valve, and a stent in another, then the pacemaker turned out to be defective (!) requiring dangerous surgery to get the bad wires out...and she'll have to go back under the knife to have her pacemaker replaced when the battery dies. I think she's been through four or five pacemakers already thanks to defective equipment. (If that isn't absolute and total bullshit, I don't know what is.)

The bright side is that she's a nurse and her heart patients know better than to whine to her about how much pain they're in and how they can't get through it all once they see her scars.

7. red4

red4 Banned

From what I've been told, my grampa (dad's dad) had both his legs amputated circa 1989 shortly before his death. Diabetes killed him. I never knew him, so not to sound like an asshole, but you guys don't have to tell me you're sorry or whatever. In my mind he's just some dude I know about.

8. KingGrimlock

KingGrimlock Assuming Direct Control

My Dads Throat Surgery.

9. Dran0n

Dran0n Junk male

News Credits:
    I had eight teeth pulled (same time). That seems to barely count. My family and I have been very lucky.

10. Shin-Gouki

Shin-Gouki Rebuilding Veteran

News Credits:
    Originally: Huntington Beach, CA, Now: Cincinnati
    My Father had 7 Spinal Fusions over the course of my Childhood (and before his first was 1972 in the Philippines while serving in Vietnam). Finally they put a Steel Rod in his back. He has to bring an X-Ray of his back anywhere he has to go through a Metal Detector (Airport, Court House, Ect...)

11. UnicronHound

UnicronHound Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    /\/\First damn, why did he neede his spine to be fused? just a back injury

Yeah I had nearly the same thing happen to me. When I was four-ish I had my four top front teeth ripped out because they turned black(I forget why). They choose to numb me but right after the needle left my gum they yanked them before any affect could happen. Avoided dentists for a long time afterwards

12. netkid

netkid Where's my Goddamn shoe!

News Credits:
    Wow, reading all this made me feel real fortunate of my family.

It brings a tear to my eye and deeply saddens me hearing of all the pain, hardships, and struggles your family members have gone through. God bless them. God bless them all.

May the angels watch over every one of you and wish that you and your families have noting but good fortune ahead.

*sniff*

13. Shin-Gouki

Shin-Gouki Rebuilding Veteran

News Credits:
    Originally: Huntington Beach, CA, Now: Cincinnati
    Back injury while he was in Vietnam. He was a Commando.