Worst Smallville in a while

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Omegatron, Dec 7, 2006.

1. Omegatron

Omegatron Mandatory Fun. Buy it now TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Wow...that was just so bad. They decided to up their minority quotient for an episode, and try to focus on the problem of illegal immigration. Plus, we're introduced to the Kents' long sanding neighbor, who has 'burrowing' powers. Clark burst in on Lex again, where he once again told that he wasn't welcome there. Martha tried to act mad at Clark. And, Clark once again revealed his powers to a near stranger, but keeps his secret from Lana. It's probably time to stop watching until the final 3 or 4 episodes of the season.

-Tony!

2. rattrap007

rattrap007 One meme mutha f’er TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I gave up on the show a while back..

3. cuad

cuad VOK EMISSARY

News Credits:
    As did I.

4. Gryph

Gryph Action Master

News Credits:
    Only three episodes are left.

5. Mister D

Mister D Bloosh Compatible

That's saying something. The show's been... problematic for sometime now. OK, from the start, but we've been conditioned to believe that genre shows need a season or two to work out the bugs. But they seemed to peak in season two (with the appearance of Christopher Reeve, moment that made hairs stand on the back of my neck and reminded me just how much I loved Superman: The Movie when I was young), and quickly went downhill. However, I still keep watching, for reasons I can't quite fathom. I think it's because I enjoy most of the supporting cast and the occasional nods to other corners of the DCU.

Or maybe my wife and I just won't give up hope of seeing Lana suffer a long, painful death.

Regardless, the show's on my DVR, but I'm not sure I'm looking foward to hearing young Clark preach about illegal immigration.

6. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    That is kind of ironic, considering where Clark came from in the first place.

7. KA

KA Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    haha good call pete.

btw, and totally off topic, remember; irony does not = sarcasm -.-"

8. Gears

Gears buh-buh-body ya Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Clark mentions that he himself is an illegal immigrant in the episode, he does no preaching against it. In fact he helps the illegal immigrant elude authorities because he can relate to his plight. Yeah the episode was pretty lame but the trailer that aired after it was very cool, featuring the reuniting of Cyborg, Flash, Aquaman, and Green Arrow: The Justice League!

9. Eradicator

Eradicator I am Antithesis

I actually liked it. It showed Clark getting closer to beong Superman. Also the last scene with lex was very nice.

10. asphalt

asphalt King of the road

Ebay:
    hey when was cyborg on to be reunited? musta missed that one.

11. Eradicator

Eradicator I am Antithesis

It was episode 15 of season 5. Right inbetween "Tomb" and "Hypnotic". I missed it too but it sounded like a decent episode.

12. Mister D

Yep, but there's lots of differences here, which I suspect were ignored by the SV writers (most illegal immigrants didn't get sent here involuntarily as infants and immediately adpoted). I'm sure most of us have our own take on the situation, but there's no point in anyone here going off about it. Not only would it get the thread closed, but it wouldn't change any minds. I don't see how Smallville, which tends to be written with no sense of subtlety at all, would be any better.

13. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

Wow, I forgot that show was still going.

14. Mister D

Watched it this morning, and yes, it was absolutely awful, on levels that went beyond the pandering.

The writing was atrocious - "I'm your bro,not your foe?" was the worst of it. I'm not entirely sure it wasn't supposed to be bad, but when it surrounded by so much tripe, I'm not sure they deserve the benefit of the dount.

The music was overdone. Not a moment of quiet anywhere in the episode, and every "dramatic" moment had to be emphasized by a musical beat, just in case you weren't sure which lines were supposed to be ominous or whimsical.

Then there was Javier, the Mexican illegal immigrant, who spoke English better than 90% of my native-born students. Why? "I watch a lot of American teevee." I've had lots of students - many hispanic, some probably illegal- who did little but watch teevee, and it sure doesn't help their fluency. I can only imagine Javier did marathon viewings of Masterpiece Theater.

And of course, the entire town of Smallville seemed positively fascistic when it comes to illegal aliens. When one little brown boy is seen running across the road, a cop is immediately dispatched to search the Kent farm, sans warrant, just in case he was an illegal. If the cops actually responded to such things (and they don't), there woudn't be 11 million illegal Mexicans in the US right now. Hell, even Martha Kent, who has never failed to embrace a hard luck case, becomes strident (in her blazing red dress- what a poigniant use of imagery) when she realizes Clark is harboring a Mexican.

I'm sorry. I don't give a damn what your position on illegal immigration is. Both sides have valid points, IMO, and Smallville ain't gonna resolve the differences. But what they put up wasn't even grounded enough in reality to make a credible argument. They need to round up all the tapes (or is it discs now?) of this show and drop them in the hole with Atari's ET carts.

15. Jux

Jux Please, call me Steve. Veteran

Eh, Smallville has usually had pretty bad filler episodes. And that's all this was.

16. Mr. Jiggles

Mr. Jiggles loves your mother.

Jux is right. They have some awful filler, BUT the Justice League episode is up soon.

Sweeeet nectah.

17. Jux

I wish people who ripped the eps would leave in the teasers for next week.

18. Mr. Jiggles

I'm pretty sure no new eps. till Jan 10th or so.

p.s. I'd bang every chick on Smallville.

19. Jux

Martha Kent FTW.

20. Mr. Jiggles

Milf