Worst Hunting Expedition Ever

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by PeolesDru, Jul 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PeolesDru

PeolesDru Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I found the new Bumblebee at my local Target on Saturday. So Today (Sunday), I decided to do a circuit and see if I could find Arcee. So I started at my local Target and Walmart and then drove 45 minutes to the next nearest Target and Walmart. Then I drove another 15 minutes to Toys R Us and Target.

I asked in that Target if there was another Target nearby that I didn't know about and got directions. I found that Target ok but got lost for about 15 minutes tring to get back on track. Another 15 minutes got me to the next Walmart. Then I drove about 20 minutes to the next (and next-to-last) Target.

Suffice to say I hadn't found her at this point.

So at the Target in Chantilly, VA, I walked in and headed over to the toy department. As I approached the Transformers aisle, I could see some dude reaching for an Arcee on the rack. Then I spotted another one down lower.

I remember very distinctly thinking to myself "Ah, good there's two of them". As I approached, he took the other one off the rack, held BOTH in his hands and began fanning through the rest of the carded figures.

So I said: "You're getting both of those?" And he says: "Yeah, I have a friend in Canada that needs one". So I say: "Man that sucks. I've been driving around for three hours looking for that figure." And he says: "Sorry, man, I promised my friend in Canada".

And that was that. I didn't find her at my last Target or TRU stops and I even went back to my hometown Target and even had them look in the back and no dice. While I acknowlege that that guy is entitled to do what he wants - finder's keepers and all that - it did show quite a lack of empathy for a fellow collector. I mean, they DO sell Transformers in Canada and there isn't much of a delay - hell, Canada gets things first sometimes. The whole Canada thing seemed like a fib and it annoys me to think that he blew me off so he could have his carded and play-with figures all in one fell swoop without having to find his duplicate at a later date. So I'll just picture his friend being in some remote outpost in the icy north so that I can keep my sanity and goodwill towards my fellow man.

But damn, if only I had not gotten lost, or not gone to that new (for me) Target, or had skipped Walmart or had run the circuit in reverse. Or, for that matter, if I had taken a little more time so I wouldn't have suffered the torture (too strong?) of coming so close to my goal and having it stripped from me. There were no other figures from that wave left on the racks, so I wouldn't have had an inkling if I'd only arrived 5 minutes later. Of course, 5 minutes (or 30 seconds) earlier would have been better.

Oh well, I did find Bumblebee yesterday - which is better than some poor shlubs out there - and I'm sure I'll find her later this week. I went ahead and ordered Voyager Megatron on my Amazon Prime account and set it for next-day shipping for an additional $4 or so for Tuesday delivery. (Amazon Prime is pretty cool to have when it comes to shipping costs, by the way)

If anyone cares to commiserate you're welcome to do so. If anyone wants to call me a loser douchebag for hunting for Transformers and bitching about a near-miss (near-hit?), then you're probably at the wrong messageboard anyway.

:cry 

2. Samana Rombuca

Samana Rombuca Well-Known Member

Look at this way, you're bound to find one again very soon and you'll be laughing about this whole affair. Remember, there's always online if you want to avoid the hastle (bit costlier though).

3. jourdo

jourdo TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    So does this.

I won't call you a douche, but hunting in Canada CAN be on the frustrating side from time to time. Hell we are still waiting for Alternators Wheeljack, Decepticharge, Ravage, Rumble, Ravage 2.0, Swerve to name a few. Yes, we sometimes get things first, but overall the delay is a little on the brutal side.

I would go with the happy thoughts and think he is trying to do another collector a favor.

4. scottimusprime

scottimusprime i have a license for that

I know how you feel. I went to Target yesterday looking for the Autobot lunch box for my self and found squat! My kids got so much movie stuff and one little thing i want cannot be found. Columbia S.C. stores suck!

5. Trenner Dios

Trenner Dios Humility > Huge Ego

I had a 2 hour drive from my fiancee's parents house, back to my home. I hit about 8 or 9 locations this weekend while driving. None of them had any new figures other than the stupid Unleashed Optimus at TRU. So be glad you got a new Bumblebee, and at least got to see an Arcee. I'm sure I would have been pissed off at that guy too, and at myself for being late, but you still got one more new TF than I did. 1 is a hell of a lot better than nothing. Stores here haven't begun to put out the new deluxes or voyagers. It's obnoxious.

6. ZecksKitty

ZecksKitty Banned

Worst hunting experience ever does not go:

"I got 08 Bumblebee, but some guy took the last two Arcee's!"

Like, seriously, it should be the other way around.

7. oddobot

oddobot carpe diem all diem long

Ebay:
    Yeah stores here are slow putting stuff out too. I have almost all the main decepticons, missing only Brawl, but all the autobots are hard as hell to find. I'm not going out looking to buy everything, like all the fast action whatevers and such
    i'm just after the main line and anything else that appeals to me, but yeah it's murder trying to find certain items, especially when you live in kinda remote areas like I do :( 

8. Optimus Prime

Optimus Prime Roll out! TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Try driving around for 5 hours looking for G1 Transformers, only to find nothing more than a broken McDonald's Happy Meal Armada Optimus Prime.

9. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    my worst hunting expedition ended with me not finding a single figure I was after, and then being confronted by a big screaming guy with a knife who stole my bike.

your hunting expedition was fine.

10. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    Thats a stupid excuse. We got Arcee and BB in Canada first, before the US.

11. Nerdling

Nerdling Plastic Crack Addict

Ebay:
    I had to go to the Target in Brooklyn (which is already hell) 3 times, call out 6 employees until one finally brought me a Leader Prime.

Unfortunately for you I saw a Movie Arcee in the Barbie section on my way out. I think it was the only one in the store.

12. cobra zartan

cobra zartan Think's He's a Detective.

News Credits:
    Try having to drive for 5 hrs to go to a store other than walmart and zellers. We get stuff months after you guys in the us do.

13. Greenshadow0

Greenshadow0 Well-Known Member

Worst Hunting expedition should have the guy taking all 3, and you wasting gas. :lol 

I couldn't find either BB anywhere. TRU, KB, Target, Walmart. :cry 

14. grimlockams prime

grimlockams prime Check you feet

what the monkeysnot

15. PeolesDru

News Credits:
    Ok, first of all, if you want help with ANY of those things, I would be more than happy to oblige. My local Walmart has what could only be called a shameful supply of Ravages and Rumbles.

BUT - and this is the point - if you wanted my help with one of the very latest toys and I found myself in that guy's position - ie: I grabbed the last two of a new, hard-to-find figure seconds before another local collector walked up and expressed dismay, I'm afraid I would have to show some sympathy toward my local compatriot.

But again, ain't nobody left in my area that wants any new Rumbles and Ravages, so you are welcome to seek my help. You could even have had my help from the start when they showed up over a month ago, because the arrived in such quantities that there was no chance my getting multiples would have seemed rude to me.

16. PeolesDru

News Credits:
    I'll use your response as an example of a certain type of response I would like to reply to. The type being - roughly, and not to take your particular shade of meaning out-of-context - but being roughly like : "Boo hoo to you, ya pansy, I have it way rougher"

My response is that there's always someone who has it way rougher and allthough we're all prone to engage in oneupsmanship when we feel we can - we should all remember how irritating it can be to have someone belittle or diminish your own grievences by holding up their own as examples of "real" hardship. My response to anyone who wants to press the issue is to point out North Koreans being forced to eat their own dead children and relatives who died of starvation and/or exposure in order to stay alive. That makes anyone's one-up story seem small and petty in comparison. I'm very sorry if anyone has it harder and I recognize that there are certainly people who do. But none of us are intending to be whiney wussy bitches when we nonetheless seek solace for whatever troubles (however small others think them) that affect us.

Or in other words, I didn't mean the title to read: "Worst Hunting Expedition Anyone has Ever Had in the History of Man", but more "Worst Hunting Expedition I'VE Ever Had" So while I hoped others stories of woe would help me put my irritation into perspective, I don't need to be told that my irritation is unfounded and totally irrelevant, because there's always someone out there that could claim that. But you know what they call people that "keep it locked inside"? Serial Killers. Do you want that on your conscience? Do you???

Also, to a similar respondant, I did indeed waste gas because I found Bumblebee as a fluke at my local Target on Saturday (Oddly, he was completely alone and had to have been stocked that morning and yet they claim not to have any more in the back - so he was "immaculately stocked") My driving expedition today was a complete bust because of damned, fickle fate and her deep and abiding hatred of me over that thing that happened in the summer of '99.

17. ZecksKitty

ZecksKitty Banned

I stop reading there.

You named your thread "Worst Hunting Expedition Ever" after a very tame and not so bad hunting experience. And none of us could detect a joke, or a hint of sarcasm. We couldn't have known if you meant it any other way, and you didn't act like it was any other way.

You should be graciously abologizing, and asking for a title change, nothing but.

It's like if I made a topic saying every sucked, and I was awesome, and people complained, and I responded with:

"There's always someone out there that's better."

It's make no sense, ok? So, edit your post, and avoid even more egg on your face.

18. jourdo

jourdo TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    You win. Can't imagine any stories worse than that.

19. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    i am so using that 'i have a friend in canada' excuse next time i go scalping.

shit, i can even use it for daily use.

'hey man can you lend me a fiver?'
    'sorry man, i have this friend in canada.'

'dude im going outta town, look after my cat?'
    'sorry man, friend in canada.'

'excuse me. do you have the time?'
    'no, but i do have a friend in canada, him name pok.'

20. theLostSeeker

theLostSeeker Well-Known Member

I'll use the 'I have a friend in Malaysia' excuse since I'm already in Canada.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.