Worrying about the planet right now...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Predaking, Sep 3, 2007.

1. Predaking

Predaking Well-Known Member

I am thankful that I am not living in area with extreme weather condition like hurricane or natural disaster like wildfire or flooding, but more than a week of 100+ degrees has me worried sick. SoCal has been in a prolonged period of drought for more than 2 years and our water reserve is running low. I hope the drought doesn't mean we'll have to ration water per household soon. Already the extreme heat is causing blackouts in our neighbor city and it may only be a matter of time before my house is affected by it too.

And all the articles about world's oil supply depleted in 50 years and global warming is causing all the ice to eventually melt, which will have catastrophic consequences for our planet, has really made me worried and depressed. Maybe the arrival of my first child is causing me to care about the future a lot more. I just hope that my son won't see the end of the world during his lifetime and I hope he'll live til 100 at least.

So is anyone besides me worry that we won't see our planet lasting beyond our lifetime? :( 

2. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    if i start to really worry abt the future of the world for my kid sake, maybe ill pull a jor el.

3. Seth Buzzard

Seth Buzzard R.I.P. Buzzbeak Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Maybe you should all start conserving more voluntarily and maybe we (Nor Cal) won’t have to keep sending you all of our water.

4. seeker311

seeker311 The Collector

News Credits:
    Im waiting for California to turn into an island. Then itll be like Escape from LA, badass

5. ShawnL7

ShawnL7 Old School Transfan

Ah yeah... I think we could all do A LOT more to help preserve our planets resources. It really makes me sick to see what we've come to. Global warming has already caused catastrophic effects on climate. But one person cant change it. It will have to be a global effort.
    Hopefully we wont make a MUCH BETTER combined effort too late.

6. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    :lolol  god i paid for that movie.

but yeah, its cool yer thinking abt yer kids future dood, keep your head up and dont overreact man, youll make your kid embarass for you.

...actually, i cant wait to embarass my kid.

7. Evil Porkchop

Evil Porkchop Pork, the evil white meat

Ehh, is there some cause for concern? I'm sure there is. But alot of stuff is just fear-mongering caused by the media. I believe that the world is more resiliant than we give it credit for. Now what mankind has done to the planet may doom mankind, but not the planet. All the pollutants that we have pumped into the air, ground and water are having an affect, and it could take the Earth 10,000 years to right itself if mankind was to ever die out. But life would go on, maybe just not our species.
    But I look at this way, being concerned for the future is fine, but fearing the future only stops you from enjoying the present.

8. Turbocharger

Turbocharger We should get more letter

I used to worry about the planet, then I got a hobby.

9. ShortCircuit

ShortCircuit Decepticon

The global warming and environment issues as said best is "like a fly on an elephants head." It doesnt matter don't worry, the world is fine man. Its going to pass. Everyone has you got you all hyped up and politics and all that. 50 years of oil left lol.

10. Spekkio

Spekkio Master of War

Earth will be fine. It's our species that's in danger. We're going to drive ourselves (and many other species) into extinction. And if that happens - well, we'll deserve what we get, I guess.

11. Skor

Skor I HATE U TRASH MONSTAAAR! TFW2005 Supporter

I'm getting the fuck off this planet ASAP. My battlecruiser should be along in about 5 years, then we'll see who's laughing!

Seriously though, there's two sides to every argument and just because you can drive a car with a six litre V8 one mile for shopping, doesn't mean you should.

Things do run out eventually, like it or not.

12. llamatron

llamatron Shut up, Nigel. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Finite supply of resource with increasing demand lol.

Basically we're screwed. We've created a energy dependent, self serving, buy buy buy society. We need serious changes. Shut down one lane of every road and make it cycling only. Charge tariffs for people with unnecessary inefficient / large engine vehicles. Ban recreational 4WD'ing. Make people stop being lazy asses. Stop over-packaging. Don't water your gardens and try to keep a foreign species of plant that's not adapted to the climate alive. If you're in the age range of 12 - 60 and have no health problems then avoid air conditioning and / or heating unless absolutely 100% required. THE LIST GOES ON.

Oh and also destroy every hippy that boycotts nuclear power.

13. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    oh shit bono was right?!!

14. smangerbot

smangerbot The Holy Zombie Jesus TFW2005 Supporter

of course he was!

the world is collapsing and its all yo faults for using the interwebs! and moose farts have something to d with it too.

15. Talathia

Talathia TFW's Cool Little Heathen

...I'm actually one of those sick twisted people who cackled madly during one of our hurricanes- while standing in three feet deep water from the storm surge... Although I had been awake for almost two days in a row preparing for Armageddon, so that's to be expected.

Although it pissed me off when people with their SUVs and crap were driving around my area looking and staring at all the damage. I mean, a lot of people were hit hard.. no one who drove by helped... and sometimes- no one really worries or cares about the plants' state unless it impacts them.

I just hope it's not too late for our planet, the animals, the plant life, and the good decent compassionate people in the world.. that maybe over time the world can heal.(/hippie)

Edit
    For the morbidly curious:
    [​IMG]
    That would be my backyard.

16. llamatron

llamatron Shut up, Nigel. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I think we should all hold hands and start some gentle swaying.

17. Talathia

Talathia TFW's Cool Little Heathen

I can play my guitar, and build a camp fire.

18. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Banned

And we can call Al Gore to the party.

19. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    I'm scarred! :cry 

20. rattrap007

rattrap007 Insert witty comment here TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I don't think humans are really causing anything to really happen to our planet. I think it is all naturally occurring. Think about it. Twenty years or so ago it was mass hysteria about global cooling and the earth was going to freeze over and such. Now it has shifted to the opposite. It is just a mass hysteria perpetrated (or at least overblown) by the media to further political agendas that the politicians themselves don't even follow.

Al Gore says we need to conserve and such yet will fly on a private airplane to give a speech. If he really cared he'd take a public plane and fly with lots of other people... or ride a greyhound bus. But what does he do? Buys "carbon offsets".

I do feel we need to conserve or energy and such. But I don't feel we are really causing the earth to warm up.