World's Smallest Fort Max? Anyone see this yet?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by e3nine, Mar 5, 2007.

1. e3nine

e3nine Poop.

News Credits:
  2. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

So those would be about, what, 8 and 6 inches respectively? I don't own any WSTF, would that go in scale pretty well with them?

3. CyclopianVision

CyclopianVision Banned

Yea, posted these on the ebay forums earlier last week.

Definitely look pretty cool. In terms of toy scale, the one slightly larger would seem to work.

Personally I want a WSTF Metroplex.

4. Chosen

Chosen Space Ninja

Might Gaine also had a few of these for sale many months ago. According to him, many of them are brittle and break easily, as he was selling some of the partially broken ones for a discount.

5. Might Gaine

Might Gaine The Devil Express

News Credits:
    I have a WSTF-scale Metroplex knock off model kit at my Ebay store if that's close enough for you :) 

6. Might Gaine

News Credits:
    Actually, I was selling a slightly different mini Max. Mine were from about 10 years ago. These are brand new molds.

For the record, there have been 3 waves of mini Maxes:

1) The original mini Max. It can be seen here:
    http://www.transformertoys.co.uk/images~~_toygallery~~nonofficial~~fortmiddle~~fortmid21.jpg.galleryimage254a966.html
    The original mini Max is very high quality. Not only does it transform almost exactly like the original, it also comes with both guns and (I'm pretty sure of this, though it's not in the picture; I think Hal Zucati's had it when he sold his...) the radar dish. In place of Cerebros, they used a high quality knockoff of Spike.

2) The knockoff of the knockoff. These are the ones I was selling and they can be viewed here:
    http://perfectcannon.tyx.net/minimax/robot.jpg
    As you can see, it looks quite a bit different from the original Mini Max. This is probably the version people are most familiar with, as it was released fairly widely in the US as Uranus 5-in-1 or something like that. This version is extremely brittle. Although it comes with both guns, it does not come with the radar dish. Unlike the original, it does no transform almost exactly like the original--a lot of compromises were made to reduce the number of parts. Spike's face-shield doesn't flip down, Cerebros's docking area for city mode is removed, the prison is simplified, the arm canons aren't present, and the central ramp in city mode does not flip down. Also, the colors are much more divergent from the original Fort Max colors.

3) These two new knockoffs. These are not the same molds are the previous two, and unlike the second knockoff, don't even appear to be based on a previous mini-Max. You can tell, because (a) it uses a (what appears to be) non-Transformable Cerebros instead of a spike, (b) the two tower sections have a little raised area where the two halfs meet, which was not present in either of the two previous mini maxes, and (c) it has the little red turn wheel near Fort Max's crotch, which wasn't available on the previous two. And of course, the new ones don't have any weapons. Now, between these two new knockoffs it appears further differences exist---the smaller one doesn't have the flip-out ramp or the flip out pec section for city mode, for example.

I ordered one of the new ones last week. I have high hopes for it :)  It appears to have functionality close to that of the original Mini Max. I just hope I ordered the larger one and not the smaller one! I don't want a Mini Max with a semi-crippled transformation. Unfortunately, the seller's pictures show both versions, so I really have no idea which one I'm getting :-/

Oh, and there was that one other Mini Max... a knockoff of the TF JR Fort Max. But that thing is crap. It doesn't deserve to be grouped with the others :p 

7. bigkid24

bigkid24 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Those are pretty cool, but isn't it more fun to have your WSTs with a G1 Fort Max?

8. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Sorcerer

News Credits:
    Thanks for the clarification. The above is the one that I got several years ago, and had the leg turret/hellipad snap off. However, I did like the Headmaster, even if it wasn't the best KO.

I'm looking forward to hearing what people think of this new KO, if it'll be worth it or not.

9. agesthreeandup

agesthreeandup Energon Supplier

News Credits:
    I should have these in next week I believe. I thought it was going to be the same as the Uranus one but interesting enough, I guess it is not.

I can take some better photos when they come in.

Spencer.

10. Gnaw

Gnaw Banned

LMK how that thing turns out, and I will order it from A3U.

11. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    I've been wanting one of these for quite some time, but have held off cause I've only found the second one, and I don't want to fear breakage. looks like I wante the 20cm one, but that's cool as my combiners are the 14cm size so that works out nicely. sucks that I'll still need to track down an old one so that I can have the guns for him though.

12. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    alright!

*heads off for local KO shop*

13. ambushbug74

ambushbug74 Stroke me, Stroke me! TFW2005 Supporter

When people get these, please let us know what the plastic quality is like. I have the second listed KO and the quality is kinda bad.

14. Might Gaine

News Credits:
    They tried to deliver it today, but I wasn't here, so I'll have it tomorrow. I'm REALLY REALLY hoping it's the larger version. And I will let you guys know if the old mini Max guns fit in the hands of the new mini Max :) 

15. Might Gaine

News Credits:
    All right, just got this in the mail. The seller sent it covered in paper rather than in a box, so I was a little scared for the toy's safety, but it was fine. I was happy to discover that he sent me the larger version with the more full transformation.

Compared to the #2 Mini Max I mentioned above, this toy is a bit smaller. My initial impressions were basically "Wow, this looks a hell of a lot more like a Fort Max than the previous mini Maxes." Lots of stickers, correct coloring, correct head. It just looks very nice overall.

The biggest surprise was the head. No, it doesn't transform, BUT it does come with a little Spike head proportional to the Cerebros body/Fort Max head. The thing is, though, it doesn't work the way you'd think it would work. Basically, the tiny Spike head can attach to Fort Max where the bigger head is supposed to go. When you do this, he looks like someone with a miniature head. Then, you put the big head on top of the little head, and the little head basically connects the big head to the body. It's very interesting.

The transformation is pretty much dead on with the toy. He has arm cannons (albeit with molded-in-place cannons), his Cerebros docking area opens (albeit not all the way), his 3 little drop-down doors for city mode open up, etc. It's definitely a big improvement over mini Max #2, though just barely not quite as complex as mini Max #1.

Overall quality is pretty good. I like that they painted the little turn wheel by his crotch red. Nice attention to detail there. Stickers a little sloppy in some places and maybe 2 or 3 parts are a little loose. Tower halves don't want to stay locked onto his sides.

Someone wanted to know how the mini Max #2 weapons fit. The new mini Max's hand holes are just a little wider than mini Max #2's, so he can hold the weapons, but they're a bit loose. The holes for city mode are too small for the weapons to attach, though.

My only other complaints about the toy are

(1) That the city mode ramp hinge covers up mini Max's mouth/Spike's head. Though, you can raise the larger head a bit on top of the little head to make it look better.

(2) No little cockpit window in the tower in city mode. It's just conspicuously abscent without even a molded-in-place replacement. Odd thing for them to leave out.

Overall, very cool miniature representation of a very popular character. If you can't afford the real Fort Max, this little guy makes a nice place-holder :) 

16. Liokaiser

Liokaiser Super Mod

News Credits:
    Neat.

17. Might Gaine

News Credits:
  18. Solscud007

Solscud007 Banned

News Credits:
    wow very cool. thanks for the comparison pics.

19. Might Gaine

News Credits:
    Also, a warning: These sell for a LOT less in China. I just searched around China's equivalent of Taobao, and they're selling for roughly $4 in China. So the $20 shipped we're getting charged on Ebay is a big ripoff. If you haven't bought one yet, consider waiting until the prices go down.

20. Dolza_Khyron

Dolza_Khyron Well-Known Member

yea, i can't see it working... the other way around... :lol