World's reaction to Autobots

Discussion in 'Transformers Animated Discussion' started by mordecai6, Apr 23, 2008.

1. mordecai6

mordecai6 Mexi-con

News Credits:
    Maybe I've been reading too much of the IDW and Movie stuff lately, but it seems to me that when there's even a slight possibility of a transformer you've got Sector 7, Skywatch, or the Machination freaking out over alien robots, and so the TFs have to keep a low profile. In this series they are walking around Detroit, giving interviews and the such, and have a rather non-chalant attitude to showing themselves to the humans. My question is why haven't we seen how the world as a whole has reacted to these transforming alien robots, and events going on in Detroit? What about the government? I'm amazed there's not some secret organization that would want to reverse engineer their technology more than Sumdac did. Hopefully this comes up in season 3.

2. RedWolf

RedWolf Well-Known Member

Well the impact is pretty much tamed because of the robotic revlution.

If headmaster is to be believed there are already mass production of military robots though not by Sumdac systems.

So far we've seen only US military vehicles whose alt modes the Decepticons coopted.

Though it seems in this series a shadowy government agency is replaced by a criminal businessman, Porter C. Powell.

3. unicronsupreme

unicronsupreme supremest of unicrons

News Credits:
    I'd much rather see the kind of reaction that the humans had in the first series of the dreamwave comic. The Autobots may be good guys, but their battle ALWAYS has a cost for the humans too. The humans in that one just wanted all of the transformers gone and did not care a bit for the Autobots either.

4. Julliant

Julliant This space for rent.

We already saw the beginning of that in the Elite Guard.

Agreed to the thread. I want to know what the whole Earth thinks, not just Detriot. Just some short cameos of the authorities once a while.

5. mordecai6

mordecai6 Mexi-con

News Credits:
    You know I've wondered this myself because even in the most mundane of episodes the autobots get thrown around and wreck at least a car or a building i'm thinking the insurance premium for downtown detroit must be through the roof!

6. unicronsupreme

News Credits:
    We saw that they were AFRAID of the Autobots. The Humans in DW were rioting in the streets. There's a pretty big difference there. I don't think we'll ever see rioting in a TF cartoon, but it is my preferred reaction from humans to transformers.

Sentinel wrecked probably dozens of cars in the latest episode. Not to mention at LEAST one stop sign. I find it hard to believe that they never accidentally kill someone.

7. SilverDragon

SilverDragon YEAH TOAST!

News Credits:
    Well, they did save Detroit (and the world) from being flattened by Starscream (and the other Decepticons), so there's probably some support for them.

8. Silent_Magnus

Silent_Magnus Taint of Primus

News Credits:
    Although if the autobots hadn't come to earth the Decepticons wouldn't have followed. Although then they wouldn't have had they're fancy technologies and hot dog vending robuts.

The fact that automatons are common place would help them deal with the "Giant Transforming Robots!" part, but there's still that "Aliens from Outer Space!" part that seems like it'd get more attention.

9. Fort Max

Fort Max Too many is never enough. Veteran

News Credits:
    Perhaps it's because secret agencies and goverment coverups etc have become boring and overused cliches.

10. Blitz Wing

Blitz Wing Triple Threat

Also, that kind of storyline works better if there is an older audience. I don't think most 9 year old kids care about what the gov't thinks about Transformers. I think the last couple episodes have shown a glimpse of the fear some humans have for the Transformers, and there is some room to explore that issue in future episodes. There is always the "Megatron's Master Plan" story that can be re-hashed.

11. IronicHide

IronicHide MEME GO HERE

Awesome thread - both sides of the argument work well.

Though TFA's emphasis that this is the 22nd Century, and robots are fairly common, is probably to cover just such a discussion.

And remember, as much as humans are dismissed as 'primitive' by some Cybertronians, all contemporary Earth technology is reverse-engineered so their computers, robots, and rubbish bins/hockey goalies are coming up to parity with the TFs.

And some humans can nearly pwn* TFs.

As long as TFA is consistent, I don't have a problem.

In fact, the humans going from locally afraid of the TFs to all-out government war would be a fantastic story arc for series three, agreed. Rather that than the SpaceBridge and all the silly back'n'forth hijinks of G1 season 2.

*deliberate to the point of sarcasm

12. shroobmaster

shroobmaster Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    "Oooh! I want his toy!"

13. Goatboy

Goatboy Well-Known Member

The Animated bots were also welcomed with open arms by Prof Sumdac. I'd imagine his companys pr department helped to get the Autobots accepted.

14. SilverDragon

SilverDragon YEAH TOAST!

News Credits:
    Not that the humans know that...

15. saberconvoy

saberconvoy Well-Known Member

Good point. In almost every Transformers series they have to keep a very low profile because the earth will go crazy. We saw a good example of that in cybertron and in the movie. But with them in animated then its a real thought the world is not acting that crazy about it. Also have any one noticed that they don't go around the world.

16. Legless Pete

Legless Pete Chairman Kaga

Well, the Autobots didn't keep a low profile in the later seasons of G1 nor Energon, and there's a reason- by then, humanity had become accustomed to giant robots. The same thing applies to 22nd century Detroit. If a car turned into a robot, I'm sure most people'd just think "hey, cool, Sumdac has invented a robot that turns into a car!"

17. Silent_Magnus

Silent_Magnus Taint of Primus

News Credits:
    Did the G1 autobots or decepticons ever keep a low profile?
    relating to the general public of coarse. I know they hid from each other all the time.

18. Julliant

Julliant This space for rent.

Captain Fanzone? In the return of the headmaster the humans are starting to get annoyed by the Autobots.

19. unicronsupreme

News Credits:
    Fanzone has hated robots from day 1. He's really not a good example of the typical human reaction.

20. Zarscream

Zarscream Well-Known Member

okay you kinda lost me on the first sentence....