"World's First PSP Modchip!"

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Gigatron_2005, May 29, 2006.

1. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan OFFICIAL MMM REP

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    I didn't dodge your question on purpose. What makes it worth it to me may not appeal to you, but it certainly isn't calculators.

I'll look for some good links that are within the rules.

Here's one that should be ok..http://noobz.eu/

Check the working eboot list.

As far as any of it being ORIGINAL, not much is original anymore, but there are some good clones and a few ORIGINAL games. The LUA script games are usually pretty good if you can get them to run.

2. Gigatron_2005

Gigatron_2005 President of Calendars

Ever hear of "freeware" PC games?:redface2:  There are plenty of open source freeware apps out there that can go to the PSP.

(and is it considered "illegal" to run a game you OWN through an emulator if you have the orignal CD and run the install to the PSP?... Im talking Sam and Max portable here.:cool:  )

3. Shin-Gouki

Shin-Gouki Retired Admln Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Handle):
    Pinterest:
    I'll say it, I have a modded Xbox. I use it for Media Center and Emulation.

In all honesty it's the homebrew guys making Media Center for the original Xbox that lead to MS making one for the 360.

If I ever get a PSP I will be using it for the same reasons, mainly because Sony has to date put out 2 games total I give a flying fuck about.

There is also something that is known as Abandonware, old games that the publishers either don't give a damn about anymore, or the company that made it does not exsist anymore. there are those that port them as well.

4. Gigatron_2005

Gigatron_2005 President of Calendars

Exactly!:thumb  But I wish Tyrian (I think it was flamepanther that informed me that the game went abandonware) would be able to run on PSP. :(  Tyrian on the PSP would be one of the best things ever.

5. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

Yes, the original author has explicitly given permission to distribute Tyrian for free. The game was written in Turbo Pascal, and to my knowledge no compilers for that language exist for modern platforms such as Windows, so it can't really be ported or updated anymore. Someone would have to rewrite the game from scratch.

6. Big Nine

Big Nine <font color= pink><b>Pink Soul<br>'Weak Humanoid G Veteran

In terms of homebrew that is worth having, Quake and Doom (both opensource now) and Beats of Rage (and its many mods) are quite cool, and legal I might add.

7. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

I don't know if it's hit the PSP yet since I don't have and don't want one, but Bungie's Marathon trilogy has also become both open-source and freeware. Ditto for the classic PC game Abuse. Even lots of games that aren't freeware (Doom and Quake were just mentioned) have become open-source specifically so that legitimate owners can update them or port them to new platforms. Duke Nukem 3D and Rise of the Triad are in that category, for instance, and could easily be ported to PSP if they haven't been already.

Emulating console games is also not illegal if you own the original game and dump the data yourself (Internet downloads are illegal whether you own them or not). Most people don't have the means to do this, but more than you might think do. I, for instance, do have the means to dump my N64 and SNES cartridges and emulate them on my PC if I want to, and I know where to get the means to dump ROM images from other platforms. I would be completely within my legal and moral rights to do so.