Worldbuilding and Exposition in Transformers:Prime Season 1

Discussion in 'Transformers Robots In Disguise / Prime Discussion' started by Autobus Prime, Jan 20, 2012.

?

Did you think the exposition and worldbuilding was paced well?

Poll closed Feb 19, 2012.
  1. Yes, it was exactly right.

11 vote(s)
    23.9%
  2. It was adequate but could have been better.

27 vote(s)
    58.7%
  3. It was inadequate but could have been worse.

6 vote(s)
    13.0%
  4. No, it was completely terrible.

2 vote(s)
    4.3%
  1. Autobus Prime

Autobus Prime Transit Former

Folks:

Were you generally happy with it, especially the way the exposition was distributed?

Personally, though I liked the series a lot, especially for some of its very entertaining supporting cast (i. e. Arcee, Knockout...) I wasn't very happy with the infodumping at the end. I feel like BW handled the Vok a little better, somehow. While Prime does have some foreshadowing, the sudden revelations just don't jibe well for me with the atmosphere of the show.

Of course, we all know who Unicron is, in addition to some other things that came up suddenly, and this can smooth off the suddenness for us well-informed fan types...but that doesn't seem like the best way to write, somehow.

Perhaps it didn't help that Ops delivered a lot of the exposition, and he's not really my favorite character in the show...and of course after the infodump, suddenly he's in the spotlight, fighting Megatron...and again, not my kind of thing where TFP is concerned. I'd much rather follow Arcee and Bulkhead around; or Starscream and KnockOut, or Airachnid. Ops, blah. So maybe I'm a little sore about that. :D 

2. Rexidus

Rexidus Autobot TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    It would have been a little better if it was spread out through the season.

3. Mechafire

Mechafire Veteran

News Credits:
    It could have been a lot better.

4. Wheeljack_Prime

Wheeljack_Prime Don't eat me

News Credits:
    Yeah, we could have done with some Unicron/Thirteen mentions somewhere around the halfway point of the season, instead of the the first and last four episodes bookending the season.

5. Hot n Spicy

Hot n Spicy Well-Known Member

I liked the info dumps, because Ratchet got tons of lines. :D 

6. shroobmaster

shroobmaster Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Could've been better. Quantity was fine, but some episodes had a shitload of world bulding while others were pretty dry of it. I think, no, I'm SURE that dropping lines then and then would've unloaded some of the things we had to learn from some episodes and made the dialogue feel less heavy. I'm sure the Matrix of Leadership could've been explained much earlier for example.

7. kaijuguy19

kaijuguy19 Keyblade Wielder

News Credits:
    It was great but it really could've been better. I mean if they just added more forshadoing for Unicron with other elements of Cybertron thrown in not to mention soem more storys of the thirteen then it would've been amazing!:)  But I'm sure Season 2 will fix that and have them be revleaed in due time!

8. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    Definatley needs more world building.

I swear Friendship is Magic is way better at this.

9. kaijuguy19

News Credits:
    You mean in terms of Worldbuilding or overall?:sly:  I'm beginning to think that Prime's losing appeal with a lot of people.

10. TFW10

TFW10 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Its ok, nothing to write home about; some episodes with "world building or expositions
    are kinda bland.

11. soundwaverulls

soundwaverulls Well-Known Member

It felt slow, the small cast is somehow underdeveloped, the tone keeps changing and it felt like it could have fitted into 13 episodes with better writing. Then there's the info dump.

12. moreprimeland

moreprimeland Optimus told me to do it! Moderator

News Credits:
    Ratchet was/is an excellent story teller...let him tell us all more stories of the Golden Age of Cybertron. :thumb 

I'm not going to complain about the pace, there were perhaps 2 episodes I could have lived without, but we long time fans have to remember that for the new fans coming online they haven't heard this version of Transformers (nor have we, but we can fill in the blanks much quicker) so yeah, it may have been a little slow to us..but for the average viewer who doesn't know Transformers, I think it was just about the right pace...remember it's only 22 minutes per episode, hard to get a whole lot of info in per ep...and show the kids getting into trouble and the bots saving them too and still have a Bot/Con fight on the side. :lol 

Last edited: Jan 20, 2012
  13. jgoss

jgoss transformers fan 4 life

i liked the pace too mpl and you are right as long time tf fans know the whole history but new fans it's not new. i just can't wait for season 2.

14. Stygimoloch

Stygimoloch ROBOT! JET! ROBOT!

News Credits:
    It was fairly well paced as a series, but a large part of the individual episodes that would have been otherwise great were ruined by horrible pacing (SPeed Metal, Deus Ex Machina, Crisscross). When the show got the ball rolling (like in the miniseries, Megatron's return, Synthen arc, and the finale) is was FANTASTIC.

We learned a lot about the TFs over the course of the show, though it would have benefited from a slightly larger cast and a wider variety of environments, but the sheer beauty of the animation and the excellent voice-acting more than makes up for it.

15. Flashdisk

Flashdisk Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I would surely want more world building to happen Last season seemed a bit limited, until the last few episodes.

The universe of TF is vast. I'd like to know more about it. I'd like to know the various alien races and theri worlds. The hidden history of the TF race etc.

16. General Magnus

General Magnus Da Custodes of the Emprah

Loved it.

17. SuperJazz

SuperJazz Dictator of my Dimension

Yeah the whole "Holy shit the core of Earth is really Unicron. We just realized this!" was a little lame to me. They should have had evidence that led to this conclusion throughout the season (and a volcano of Dark Energon is kinda a big sign and a little too late).

But the whole story of Primus, Unicron and the 13 Primes and the ominous prophecy was cool. I love mythology, especially if it's Transformers mythology! :D 

18. kaijuguy19

News Credits:
    I love mythology and folklore too which is why I'm glad they included it in the show!:thumb  Desptie the slow pace and the not enough foreshadowing I think we have great character development from a lot of the characters including Arcee,Starscream,Ratchet,and Bulkhead!:D  I hope they contunie doing that in Season 2!

19. Arashistorm

Arashistorm Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It could have been WAAAAY worse, but I think it was done pretty well considering all the outside factors (like the uncertainty of how long the show might last), so laying as much info down as possible could keep people attracted and watching.

I do wish the info thrown at us in the last 3-4 eps or so were touched upon a little bit more in some of the earlier episodes...like link some of the artifats and tech they found on earth to the original 13 or something..but overall I think it was done well, setting up a lot of things for season 2 and 3 and maybe more to come.