World War 3...(spoilers)

Discussion in 'Comic Books and Graphic Novels' started by Lumpy, Apr 20, 2007.

1. Lumpy

Lumpy Taylor Swift Actionmaster Super Mod

News Credits:
    i thought it might have been cool but feel very disapointed by it. it showed a few changes of characters to their OYL standpoints, but feels as though it was DC just trying to shoehorn everything when it got down to the wire...and releasing it as 4 seperate books was stupid...week 50 should been a double or triple sized book for 7.50 and that would be the end of the war...

and you know what else bugs me? in 52 week 50, martian manhunter isnt there at all, yet in the 4 ww3 books, he's shown as one of the final combatants when shazam changes black adams secret word and fucks him with a lightning bolt....that seems like a huge editorial snafoo....

did anyone else read this?

2. Edge

Edge weapon of destruction

I only read week 50 didn't have the cash to get 4 more books or however many there were. I didn't think it was that bad, little underwhelming but not bad it was nice to see the great ten again though

3. Vangelus

Vangelus Long Live the New Flesh Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I glanced through WW3 a bit.

**SPOILERS**

WTF did Terra do to offend the editor gods? o_o

4. Switchblade

Switchblade Just a raggedy man

News Credits:
    She's a major continuity headache and they're trying to launch a new, not confusing Terra. No room for the old one, I guess.

I was also disappointed by World War 3. The part in 52 was excellent. Compact, fast-paced scenes chronicling the war in a sort of Reader's Digest format. It's always nice to see DC's heroes all join together for a fight (although it usually means the world is in big trouble). Also nice to see the new Infinity Inc. turn tail and run like the little bitches they are. And J'onn was in 52, Lumpy, but just as one face in the crowd. Loved the final fate of Black Adam. My money is on the new word being something along the lines of "sorry".

The WW3 expanded issues were pretty lackluster, though. A lot of J'onn standing around and whining and as many OYL gaps being filled as possible. Very disappointing. I'm not sure we really needed the extra issues to tell this story.

5. Gort

Gort Klaatu barada nikto TFW2005 Supporter

Pardon my ignorance, but it WWIII an ongoing series or is it just the four issues that came out this week? Also, is it just a continuation of 52? Thanks!

6. Hiro Prime

Hiro Prime Cybertronian Guru Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I was disapointed that WW3 just turned out to be Black Adam running amuck.

7. Lumpy

News Credits:
    yeah, four issues....(which probably shoulda been collected into one oversized extra page book) and it shows the war, which takes place in 52 week 50, thought you really can just read week 50 and thats it....

ok, thanks switchblade, i musta missed him....but regardless, if you read the 4 ww3 books, it definately shows martian manhunter holding black adam when shazam strikes him down, yet in issue 50, he's not one of the ones thats actually holding black adam when shazam strikes him...that was my problem with it....they have this huge thing that happens, but it doesnt take place in the other books...i fucking hate that.....

8. Rodimus Major

Rodimus Major Custom User Title

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I only bought 52 week 50. I didn't have the spare cash for the other issues. Glad to hear I didn't miss much.

9. Wreckgar

Wreckgar Anthony Stark Veteran

It was okay. I liked it because it finally answered some questions but nothing spectacular.

- We find that Prof Stein seperated Cyborg and Firestorm using the JLA teleporter to seperate DNA.
    - the Dr Mid-Nite somehow downsized Hawkgirl

Ands booster gold shows up twice. My major beef with 52 is the complete disappearance of stories. It's been 2 months since the Booster/Skeets battle and now he pops in and out twice in a week. What the hell has he been doing? It's just poor pacing on DCs part and now they are trying to fill in gaps.

However finally seeing what makes Martian manhunter go loco gothic is cool.

10. redsquadron

redsquadron Token idiot...

I'm looking forward to the GI JOE WW3 far more - A year-long, 12-issue story arc of JOE vs COBRA... now that's way better than anything DC has to offer in my opinion!

11. Fairy Princess

Fairy Princess Banned

Lesbian Batwoman

12. redsquadron

redsquadron Token idiot...

I prefer the BARONESS on a mad maternal killing spree... Black leather, glasses, European accent. Me sad....:eek: 

13. ABH1979

ABH1979 Blue Boba Moderator TFW2005 Supporter

Twitter:
    Pinterest:
    WW3 was ok, but not great.

We know why Jonn has gone all emo now, but I still feel it could have been better.

I think the covers to the books were the best part. Especially that picture of Bronze Tiger. Ben Turner FTW!

14. Strikeback

Strikeback Drifting Away

The continuity of the Marvel family confused me--in "Brave New World," they show Mary Marvel falling from the sky, losing her powers while gathering up the magic beasties released when the Rock of Eternity exploded. Then over in 52, Mary Marvel is fighting alongside the rest of them--yet in "Countdown," she's just reawakening after a yearlong coma brought on by falling from the sky.

Either I didn't pay attention well enough, or did DC just drop the ball horribly?

15. .SentinelPrime Is Dead.

.SentinelPrime Is Dead. Banned

Maybe she recovered from one coma, and went into another one? Yeah infinite crisis fixing on bad continuity error while adding 5 more.

16. Switchblade

News Credits:
    I thought the Brave New World stuff was all OYL. I know the Martian Manhunter and Freedom Fighters parts were. I always just assumed Mary lost her powers after the missing year ended, or at least near the end of it. After all, she and the other Marvels have been shown to be around and fully powered throughout 52. So it only stands to reason that the power outage that prompted the Trials of Shazam! miniseries must have happened after 52. So Countdown must either take place a year after OYL or its writers just goofed.

17. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Sorcerer

News Credits:
    I'm a huge Black Adam/Marvel Family fan, and I thought it was so terrible, I didn't get it.

Then again, Trials, OYL, and this is just screwing with Continuity willy nilly. It's hardly worth reading it's so screwed up.

Black Adams origin both from Fawcett and in the newer DC version show that Shazam himself couldn't take the power away from Black Adam. Granted magic is supposed to be in "flux" at the moment, but trials says that each of the pantheon members have to find the person worthy; Black Reign established that Black Adams pantheon love him, and do everything they can to support him, so he still should've had his powers anyway.

18. Xcandescent

Xcandescent TRUKKS are the new MUNKYS

BZZZTT!

Martian Manhunter IS shown -- in the "we keep fighting" one-page shot, and towards the end.

HOWEVER, the end shot IS a snafu. It's the wrong costume, not to mention having him up and about at all.

Also, the shot of Captain Marvel holding the lightning in the last issue of WWIII is rather ... relaxed, in comparison to the "OMGELECTROBBQ!" spread in 52.

Trials and Brave New World are both OYL. Countdown is one year AFTER OYL. So it's fine.

Overall, WWIII was OK. Really, most of it was "OYL Martian Manhunter: Issue 0", but that's fine by me, as that story needed to be told somewhere. I was surprised that they did Aquaman's story as well, rather than cover it in his own book.

Ultimately the biggest problem with WWIII is the same problem 52 and OYL have: 52 was supposed to explain what dramatic changes happened to the major heroes between IC and OYL -- but it became an anthology of stories about secondary characters. I actually liked that direction, because they did interesting things with most of those characters -- but it meant that they had to pull something completely last-minute and asinine out of the hat to explain everything else (including the alleged "52" mystery). It's a pretty obvious case of bad planning.

-XCN-

19. Switchblade

News Credits:
    They didn't take his powers away, Captain Marvel just changed the word Adam uses to activate them.

20. Lumpy

News Credits:
    yeah, i went back and looked at the book and realized i was wrong...green lantern was holding BA, and i just saw the green and assumed martian not lanter....

and yeah, while i do like the way 52 went, it wasnt the original direction, hence they throw this crap at us...look, itll make OYL sorta make sense....blah....by now most of the OYL stuff had been figured out and assumed to have taken place off panel anyway....