2D Artwork: World War 2 Transformers

Discussion in 'Transformers Fan Art' started by Jarl, Sep 8, 2009.

1. Jarl

Jarl Well-Known Member

I'm doing up this WW2 TFs RPG for some friends online, and I felt the incredible desire to get some of my ideas out on paper. And once they were on paper, I of course had to get them on the computer, and from there...

Anyways, this is my first completed pic: The three core seekers. These guys are the three mainstays of the decepticon air forces. They landed on earth and scanned the Mitsubishi A6M-21 "Zero" to blend in with the local airplanes. Unfortunately, Starscream got the wrong idea and decided that since he is (bad pun warning) the "Flagship" of the decepticon fleet, he should wear the colors of imperial Japan to illustrate fully that he's in total command. Skywarp and Thundercracker aren't about to argue with him.

Coloring done in photoshop. Took a lot of inspiration from the movie designs, obviously, with the head design being more Armada-based. The little wing stabilizer dealies in back are directly lifted from Animated. Starscream's colors were a blast to do, with Skywarp and Thundercracker being the boring realistic ones. I'm also planning an acid storm deco for this lineart, which may be a problem with this background...

Attached Files:

2. Magmatron22

Magmatron22 HADOUKEN!!!

Dude sweet, I like the design. lol I love how starscream is so flashy next to the other seekers

3. Sso02V

Sso02V Injector Has a Posse

News Credits:
    How about Acid Storm in the Zero's normal colors?

4. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    you could do that, or go with g1 colors and make him brighter green, then the background wouldn't be an issue at all.

5. Altitron

Altitron Commercial Artist

Ebay:
    This remindes me of that real dark and gritty G.I. Joe/TF crossover - which I of course totally loved.

I think the faces could use a little work, but it's awesome seeing so many iterations of the characters taken into consideration and meshing that well.

Great work!

- Alty

6. Jarl

Jarl Well-Known Member

Yeah, the faces gave me some trouble. I've been working on Megatron for a while and I have like thirty head designs.

Part of the problem is I don't wanna just have facial features that look like a person wearing a mask, like G1 or Beast Wars. I'd like the look to be more movie-style, but I'm just not very good at doing that for faces.

Another part of the problem is there's soooooooooooooooooo many different ways to do Megatron, so I'm goin' through 'em all. There's nine heads on this sheet so far...

7. jonatron26

jonatron26 Well-Known Member

those are awesome!

8. Ellamin

Ellamin Moonbeam Dreamer

News Credits:
    Neat! keep it up!

9. Tomiku

Tomiku black repaint fetishist

Well, this is different! WWII era vehicles should be kinder to the fliers than the Hearts of Steel miniseries. I love this concept and I hope you do a lot of designs for it! ^_^ I like the style you chose, more streamlined and realistic (well, as realistic as can be expected from giant robots, lol) than the norm, but still pleasing to look at and not overly complicated, unlike the movie designs. Awesome job.

As a side note, with the beams-radiating-from-a-center-point thing messed up by splitting into armor plating (except the wings), Starscream kinda looks like a candy cane. May I lick him to see if he tastes minty? XP

10. ironarm

ironarm SHALL RETURN IN NOVEMBER

AWESOME AND KEWL!!!!!! oh and welcome