World Rally Championship 2011

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Scourge_151, Feb 16, 2011.

1. Scourge_151

Scourge_151 Dangerous when naked! TFW2005 Supporter

World Rally Championship

For lots of on-board footage check out amjayes on youtube as well as the official channel
    and MT89Motorsport

There is also a WRC app available for both iPhone and Android which provides news, video and live stage time updates and audio from the WRC radio channel.

New season and some new rules to deal with, foremost of which is the switch to 1.6 litre turbo cars, although the engines still produce 300bhp. This has attracted interest from many more manufacturers and promises to make the WRC cheaper to enter and more exciting. So far Ford and Citroen continue to field cars for the full season, with Mini testing the Countryman WRC at a few rallies before making a full attempt for the championship next year.

The Fiesta WRC in the Ford works team livery
    [​IMG]

The DS3 WRC in the Citroen works team livery
    [​IMG]

The Countryman WRC in its promotional livery
    [​IMG]

There is also interest from Abarth, Skoda, Peugeot, Renault and Volkswagen in either adapting their existing Super2000 spec rally cars to the WRC spec or entering new cars altogether.

A few good videos to check out:

YouTube - "Mini Countryman WRC" by Markko Märtin and Ott Tänak_1º Day of Tests at Ponte de Lima 2010 .avi

Note the livery on the Countryman is to disguise the exact shape of the bodywork, no sponsors are confirmed yet.

YouTube - Tests Mikko Hirvonen - Ford Fiesta WRC [ without music ] facebook fans page passats de canto

The Fiesta WRC undergoes testing.

The season started last weekend on the snow-covered stages of Sweden, with Miko Hirvonen the eventual winner in his Fiesta WRC.
    Reigning champion Sebastien Loeb finished a disappointing sixth due to tyre trouble.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2011
  2. VaderPrime1

VaderPrime1 Prepare for termination!

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    I wish WRC was aired in the US or online, live, somewhere. I love rally racing, but it's hard to get up to date stuff on it. (unless I'm missing something) I want to watch it, not read the results. :( 

3. Deefuzz

Deefuzz Beard On! Beardmaster! Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    It is aired in the US, but it's sketchy to come across.

When I had Dish Network I had it set to record whenever it was on. I can't remember exactly which channel it came on, it may have come on HD Net or something. But it would record about once a month on Saturday/Sunday.

If you have a searchable guide, look for "rally" and not just "wrc".

But if you have just a basic cable provider like Charter/Comcast/TimeWarner or something, it may be a little less likely to see the races.

4. Scourge_151

The youtube channel I posted up has full on-board stage footage, not from all the cars but a few of the drivers per rally stage so far.

The app for the phone has highlights videos for each day of the rally as well as any stand-out incidents, for example they interviewed Petter Solberg as he'd been caught speeding on a road section between stages and the Swedish police took his license off him! His co-driver had to complete the rest of the rally for him.

Don't know if its available worldwide though.

You'd think with Ken Block doing the full season this year that some channel stateside would be following his progress, surprised Monster aren't making a big deal of it as they're his main sponsor.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2011
  5. Scourge_151

6. Savanna

Savanna Want to Touch my Wankel?

SPEED used to air WRC the weekend it happen, but then NASCAR took over the channel and it kept getting smaller times and whatnot. Rally racing is still aired though in the US. Last year I think it was on Discovery HD.

7. Scourge_151

8. VaderPrime1

VaderPrime1 Prepare for termination!

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    Yeah I've seen races on HDnet but they were from a couple years back. I just think this sport need better coverage overall... it's great motorsporting.

9. Scourge_151

Its a weird one as it is a great spectacle, and arguably is better to watch at home than in person on a stage, but has had really bad coverage the last few years. I remember when the BBC used to cover it and there'd be a good hour-long programme each day of the rally, with live coverage and more in depth shows on the British round. No terrestrial channels even cover the sport any more. The addition of a full live stage each rally on the TV coverage would've drawn more interest, I'd hoped.

According to the official site Discovery HD is covering it this year in the US, with ESPN covering it in the UK. Even though MotorsTV has it over here as well on satellite, so they may not be 100% accurate.

9 days to go till round 2 in Mexico regardless.

10. Scourge_151

11. Scourge_151

Rally Mexico this weekend, anyone venturing south to have a look?

12. Scourge_151

13. ckhtiger

ckhtiger old skool fool

so the fiesta is a fwd car changed to awd for wrc, what about the citroen and mini? I didn't realize they had awd layouts of those cars.

14. Subotnik

Subotnik Please Stand By.

They might as well give the championship to Loeb now so he can go home, then let everyone else race for the rest of the places.

15. Tigertrack

Tigertrack Back In The Game!

Awesome! I was wondering if there were any WRC fans in TF World. HDNetwork airs the WRC races, but I haven't seen any info for upcoming events.

I've always wanted to see the new Mini Cooper in the WRC series, I just wish they did it with the older John Cooper S model that they had two years ago instead of waiting for the new stretched AWD version.
    The older 2 door version I thought would've been much more nimble and suited for WRC. I like the AWD part, but wish they kept it 2-door. Still, it's a great looking car.
    Always wanted a Mini Cooper S model after Mark Walbergs Italian Job movie.

16. Scourge_151

Yup, WRC cars for the last few years have predominantly been 4WD versions of FWD regular cars, usually with the 2.0 turbo engines being unique to the rally car as well.

The Mini is the only one that is actually based an a 4WD production car at present. Its annoying but if it wasn't this way the only manufacturers in it would be Subaru and Mitsubishi.

Making the regulations as they are makes it easier for manufacturers to enter a car in the championship, as making a 4WD turbo car is far from cheap, and the championship states that a minimum number of cars must be sold in a year in order for a model to be eligible.

As an example, the last year they ran a full WRC entry, Mitsubishi had to switch from using the Lancer Evo as the base for the WRC car to the standard Lancer as they didn't sell enough Evos in a year for it to be eligible.

Weirdly Prodrive actually picked the Countryman out of the Mini lineup themselves to modify to WRC spec. They said it had the most potential as a platform to play around with locating the engine and gearbox etc. Also makes it the only WRC car with a 4WD production car.

There is, however, a 2 door version of the Countryman platform coming called the Paceman Detroit 2011: Mini Paceman concept - BBC Top Gear, I can imagine that once their WRC program is up and running that Mini would rather promote that as a performance model and make that the basis for their WRC car.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2011
  17. Tigertrack

"Also makes it the only WRC car with a 4WD production car"

What do you mean exactly? Aren't you forgetting Subaru's WRX?

18. Scourge_151

Ah, yes they do run Imprezas in the P-WRC which is reserved solely for lightly modified production cars. As a result that series is full of only Subarus and Mitsubishis.

For the full WRC formula, however, the Impreza is no longer eligible. The new WRC cars are 1.6 turbos with a specified minimum/maximum wheelbase that favours the smaller hatchback models.

In the FIA championships there's the WRC
    the S-WRC (reserved for the Super2000 spec cars, similar to the new WRC cars but with 2.0 engines and no turbo, still with 4WD)
    the J-WRC (FWD 1.6 non-turbos, usually full of younger drivers making a start in professional rallying)
    and finally the P-WRC for modified production cars.

So the Imprezas and Evos are still there, but no longer in the top end of the sport.

19. Scourge_151

20. Tigertrack

I miss the olden days of WRC when it was truely "World" rally racing. Meaning that more car manufacturers entered it. Toyota, Mitsubishi, Subaru, Peugoet, Renault, etc were all in it. Now all I see is Ford and Citroen and the occasional Subaru. Looking forward to seeing the Mini Cooper in it, hope it does well for them. Still wish they just upgraded the original 2-door in to AWD rather than making it four door. OH well, still bet it'll be cool.