Non-TF: World of Warcraft Arthas Menethil, The Lich King

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by whiskeytango, Mar 17, 2011.

1. whiskeytango

whiskeytango Combaticon

I've always liked the design of this character, and would have loved to have done an action figure of him, but there was no way I could sculpt all his details. Luckily for me, last week DC Direct put out a "figure" of him in their WoW line. Calling it a figure is generous though, cause he's a statue, with 0 articulation. So, that meant a lot of cutting and hollowing had to be done. I'm actually starting to get pretty fast at hollowing stuff out, so I guess theres that. I had tried articulating a WoW figure before but it didn't really work out, in large part to not being able to use a lot of the parts because of the action pose it was made in. However, Arthas was basically just standing with one arm outstretched, which lent itself perfectly to this sort of thing.

He's a UFC figure with X3 Colossus' forearms and hands. I'm happy with how subtle this came out, but almost every part of him has been sculpted over with chainmail. Based on counting just one section of his bicep, theres well over 2000 individual holes poked into the sculpt to get the look. Originally, I was going to keep his legs, but I ended up replacing his thighs with a TNA figures to add thickness, and take away height. He's still huge though, coming in at about 8". One of the coolest parts I think is that he still has all of the original figures articulation. So he went from nothing to a ball jointed head, ball shoulders, swivel biceps, hinge elbows, ball wrists, ab crunch, waist swivel, ball hips, thigh swivel, double jointed knees and ball ankles. The furry boots are free floating (thought tight) to not reduce foot movement, and his shoulder pads are on extended ball joints I scrapped from a Transformer to keep all his arm movement. His loin cloth and cape are made from a t-shirt (ala the Spawn Sauce method), and though they look black in the photos, they're actually very dark blue. His belt, the straps holding his elbow guards and the straps on his legs are real leather.

Finally, his eyes, the gem on his head, and the eyes, nose, and runes on his sword were painted with florescent blue, and they glow REALLY bright until a black light. Unfortunately I couldn't get a picture of it to save my life, so you'll just have to take my word for it. Anyways, sorry for writing a novel. Enjoy!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and a WiP

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

2. Anti-Venom

Anti-Venom Well-Known Member

I had a plan to make a Lich King out of a Lord of the Rings Whitch King, but this looks so much more bad-ass!

Great job dude!

3. G60Force

G60Force World Smallest Mini-Con

Ebay:
    hahahha that WIP shot is fantastic :D  laughed my ass of!! ... final result is stunning!

4. whiskeytango

whiskeytango Combaticon

Thanks guys. I love that wip too. Just Arthas... chillin in his boxers.

5. plowking

plowking I'm with ErechOveraker. Veteran

News Credits:
    whoa!...that's some amazing work there!!

Very nicely done too might I add. :thumb