World of Tanks

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by DilaZirK, Apr 14, 2011.

1. DilaZirK

DilaZirK Is bullheaded.

News Credits:
    Anyone else here playing this?

World of Tanks

For those not in the know, World of Tanks is a "free-to-play" (Read: Microtransactional) team-based massively multiplayer online action game dedicated to WWII armored warfare.

The game can be best summed up as Counter-Strike with WWII tanks. Good fun for those who are into vehicle combat, but the game still has a long way to go in terms of content, having just finished open beta.

My one real gripe about this game right now though: If you want to team up with your friends, you're gonna have to fork out real cash for a premium account in order to create "Platoons"... >:[

2. seven

seven RIP Poopers 4-1993/5-2008

Played a lot of it during closed and open beta (when they gave you gold), I've only played two rounds during the live game.

Luckily the guy I mostly play with is really into it so he's bought premium. I would but it equates to about $15 a month for a premium account (with enough "gold" left over to have a 6th month "free") and thats a bit much for the type of game it is.

Also, the MMO descriptor is way over-used here. Its 12v12 battles, the Massively part is that everyone is connected to a regional server and can chat.

3. DilaZirK

DilaZirK Is bullheaded.

News Credits:
    Ooo, what's your in-game username? Maybe you've blown me up before.

Now that the game has recently been updated to the long awaited v6.4, I feel it has become a bit more enjoyable a game, what with all the fixes to existing mechanics and new stuff added.

Last edited: May 24, 2011
  4. General Magnus

General Magnus Da Custodes of the Emprah

I play sometimes. But now with no gold takes forever to get medium and heavy tanks, so I´m stuck with a POS light tank.

5. Noizemaze

Noizemaze Ken

News Credits:
    Sounds interesting. Might check it out.

6. seven

seven RIP Poopers 4-1993/5-2008

sevendead, I don't think I've gotten a single kill since the game went live. I've only played a total of 10 or so games. Still stuck with the Tier 1 lights, slowly saving credits to buy an SPG and a destroyer.

My friend that I got to play, patrickpeppers, has gotten pretty hardcore into it. When I first told him about he he blew it off and wouldn't even download the beta. Now he plays for hours every day and has a few Tier 7s.

7. Noizemaze

Noizemaze Ken

News Credits:
    So, the starting scouts are damn useless. The game says that scouts are used to recon and outmanuver heavier tanks. Imagine my surprise when I get into a few games and get passed by all the mediums on my team and get out manuvered by an enemy medium with better turret turn rate and speed...

8. DilaZirK

DilaZirK Is bullheaded.

News Credits:
    sevendead eh? I'll keep an eye out for that.

This game can be cruel at times, putting you in matches against tanks 4 tiers higher than you, where said tanks shrug off all of your shots and then instantly pop you with one of theirs.

9. Noizemaze

Noizemaze Ken

News Credits:
    Yeah, I'm getting a bit tired of all my shots doing zero damage.