World is on the brink of a chocolate supply crisis

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Inikalord, Apr 24, 2012.

1. Inikalord

Inikalord Legal Binding Contracts

Ebay:
  2. thecollector

thecollector Fluffernutter Admirer

3. DethPike

DethPike Master of Sinanju

Ebay:
    "Professor David Guest of the University of Sydney's Faculty of Agriculture and Environment said that cacao production must increase by nearly a quarter by 2020 if it is to meet demand from rising economies like China."

We'll all be nuked by then anyway. -eats Snickers bar-

4. thecollector

thecollector Fluffernutter Admirer

I have an idea. We take the remaining chocolate, and use it to build a giant bunker around the largest production site!

Inb4Ieatsomeofit.

5. Hook

Hook Out of Options Veteran

Facebook:
    YES.

This means men worldwide will start to have sex once again.

6. KA

KA Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    And so begins the chocolate wars.

7. Tenebrouser

Tenebrouser Craft...or is it crap?

Dammit, fat people.

8. ArmadaJetfire

ArmadaJetfire Yamato is go! ;D

Because that will make more chocolate? :p 
    And if the chocolate runs out, mutherf*ckers best step off from my Mike and Ikes

9. Alucard77

Alucard77 Kaon Gladiator Champion

News Credits:
    I read about this for Coffee. It is basically saying that places that grow Coffee can no longer grow them because of global warming. Starbucks is supposedly already prepping because of this to get out of the coffee business.

The really fucking dumb thing is that while yes, Columbia may no longer be able to grow coffee cause we screwed up the world, some other place is. They are acting like no place on earth will be able to grow coffee. Well, that place that had 80 degree temperatures will have perfect temperatures to grow coffee. So guess what, some farmer will plant coffee and make a killing.

That is why I cannot stand enviromentalists. They don't understand that their own efforts actually hurt the enviroment as much as it saves the enviroment. They all freaking believe in Darwin and evolution, but because we are damn humans, we think we can control it, and do what we always do. We fuck it up.

10. firehawc_69

firehawc_69 cloppers = ignore list

News Credits:
    I can't even count how many ways this post is wrong.

11. JazzHunter83

JazzHunter83 Mrs FatalT

Noooooooooooo!!!!!

12. Alucard77

News Credits:
    So educate me oh wise one. Or is that all that can be written. The fact is, it's not wrong.

There are countless examples how humans try to control enviromental variables and do more harm then good.

I am not saying, don't do our best to keep the sky, water, etc clean. I am saying that there are constantly variables over looked in research that do rear their heads. Just on Darwin alone, would could see these things cannot be accounted for or controlled.

13. Mr. Sinister

Mr. Sinister Cat + Sinister = TROUBLE

Hey, less chocolate to eat means I'll finally lose some weight.

14. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Prototype Black

It's Alucard77. What did you expect?

15. RisingPhoenix86

RisingPhoenix86 One of Soundwaves minions

News Credits:
    Im like a pmsing woman when it comes to chocolate... This sucks lol

16. Alucard77

News Credits:
    Fantastic, two useless posts without any insight on your thinking. But it's me, what did I expect. LOL.

17. Satomiblood

I know, right?

You have a gift, Alucard. Actually, you have two of them: (1) posting threads in which you complain about something, and (2) being wrong about chocolate and life.

But it's cool, bro. You make TFW fun...not quite on the level of Spiderus Prime but still.

18. Alucard77

News Credits:
    Well, I post in a lot of threads where I don't complain. But you want to discount those. You have a trend of posting shit against me, because you obviously have nothing better to do.

BTW, back on my point for a second. Two quick examples of how we as humans try to control shit and fuck it up more:

1- Back when the eco star rating was introduced, we were told to go green to save the earth. Problem was that so many people who had bought their Refrigerators and so on, in the last couple of years already were very close to the eco star rating. So what did they do, they scrapped their existing refrigerators and filled landfills with them, so that they can be more green. When in fact the cost to the environment was much heavier by throwing away perfectly good appliances.

2- The good old electric car. They still don't know what they are going to do with all those batteries when those cars die out.

These all show how man is trying to solve problems, but instead just deflect problems.

So if you want to believe there will be no place on earth that will have the proper conditions to grow Coco, please go ahead. But don't post uselessness and be a troll just to say something bad about me.

Maybe you can post something useful instead.

19. Satomiblood

This is why I love you, bro.

As for my useful tidbit of information, I learned that chocolate is both good and bad for you.

20. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    Well, for one, saying "well we'll just grow it somewhere else" in your previous post is dead wrong. Coffee requires certain soil, topographic, and climatic conditions to thrive. Those regions are surprisingly few, unless you want to make garbage coffee. If the environment shifts, due to pollution, climate change, soil erosion/denutrification or any other reasons, coffee will no longer grow well there. Growing coffee in artificial conditions is even harder, unfeasible in terms of costs, and will not meet global demand. Changing existing environments to suit coffee growing is a terrible idea, as we've seen time and time again with coffee as well as other agricultural products (for example, clearing mountain areas and planting coffee in south america led to soil denutrificiation and some pretty vicious erosion in some places, and is now being supplanted with shade-grown coffee in many places, which carries its own set of problems). Like you said, "There are countless examples how humans try to control enviromental variables and do more harm then good".

As to your comments about "environmentalists", I'm convinced you don't have a goddamn idea of what you're talking about.

In terms of chocolate, much of the world's supply comes from regions that are currently very unstable politically, such that a major portion of the world's supply was put in jeopardy last year due to unrest in the Ivory Coast. Cocoa, like many other crops from the region, is grown with a focus on low cost, meaning those that pick it often do so in unsafe or unfair conditions, which further impact long-term sustainability of the industry. And worst of all, monocultivation of chocolate has allowed for the spread of diseases and fungus to ravage the industry. In short, supplies as they are will not be able to keep pace with demand, and the entire industry is extremely fragile to catastrophic collapse from any one of a number of factors.

What can you do? Choose to buy only fair-trade, sustainability certified chocolate and chocolate products. Lobby your snack-food companies to do the same, and state that you will boycott their products until they do. It'll cost more, at least in the near future, but it'll ensure a much brighter future for that dark, dark treat.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2012