workouts and diets

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by transformervic1, Jun 3, 2012.

1. transformervic1

transformervic1 HI!

News Credits:
    One of the things iv'e decided to do over the summer is workout (mostly arms and chest). I'm a skinny guy with a high metabolism so you can see why. Lately iv'e been hitting the weights and have gotten quick, noticeable results in my arms already, mostly because after every time i workout i drink a tall glass of muscle milk(protein milk). one thing i can't seem to figure out is how my diet should be. What should be the does and don'ts of my diet?

2. firehawc_69

firehawc_69 cloppers = ignore list

News Credits:
    Make sure you don't drop below 1500 calories a day. If you do, your body will go into starvation mode and start consuming the muscle you're trying to build. Stick with proteins, carbs, and simple sugars. Fats are ok in moderation. Though, with a high metabolism, I think you'll be ok in whatever you eat.

3. QmTablit

QmTablit Disguise: Check. Robot...

Lots of chicken and vegetables. And I don't mean KFC and french fries. If you don't already, learn to cook for yourself. It'd be the single best thing you could do. Since you can control the amount of fats and salt that you consume.

And I would actually say drink a vitamin shake before your workout, and drink the protein shake after.

4. terry981

terry981 Well-Known Member

Don't forget your fruits. If you are a beginner you can try renting some workout dvd from netflix. Then you will know what level you are at. I only pork up every now and then and I still feel fine, but I guess it depends on the person. My metabolism is okay.

5. The Dark Seeker

The Dark Seeker Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Protein shakes help. Just make sure the ingredients read "protein isolate" or something like that as the very first ingredient. If it doesn't, its junk. Along with everyone else, yeah fruits and veggies are good. You'll want to mix it up with the meats though. Chicken, fish (tuna, tilapia, salmon, etc), Beef (such as lean steaks, and etc). You might want to try looking into some multivitamins too. Some people I talk to (who want to burn more fat than muscle) take "Casein" protein too to avoid muscle being burned while you sleep. Avoid any and all junk food to include juices, sodas, etc. Unless you're talking about cranberry juice....
    Water, some gatorade/powerade is good (please do not drink a ton of gatorade....too much electrolytes will actually dehydrate you. You'd be better off drinking a ton of water. Your muscles will thank you for it). Green tea will help too.

If I were you though, I'd start working out the entire body if you can. Not just chest and arms. That way, its more balanced :)  But what are your overall goals though?

6. Predaking

Predaking Well-Known Member

I just bought a used P90X from Amazon. As soon as I figure out my workout schedule and the diet to go along with it, I will start hitting those DVDs with a vengence. Gym is way too crowded for my liking so from now on, it's home workout + jogging for me.

7. AnithaPrime

AnithaPrime TURDUKEN

Healthy meals, lots of water, fruits, veggies and proteins. That's all I know of, I've never dieted lol

8. Moonscream

Moonscream YES, We EXIST!

News Credits:
    You say you're skinny with a high metabolism...why be concerned about your diet?

The best thing you can do is start reading about nutrition and decide what you can do and want to do with regards to diet.

--Moony

9. FatalT 71

FatalT 71 Mr. JazzHunter

News Credits:
    Excellent advice.

10. transformervic1

transformervic1 HI!

News Credits:
    my Goal is to pretty much build my body completely. So I NEVER eat junkfood, or can i eat it every now and then? also i didn't know i burned muscle through sleep..

11. The Dark Seeker

News Credits:
    You can. That's why there's "Casein" available. Especially if you're wanting those 6 pack abs n shit. You'll also want to watch what you eat regardless if you are skinny and have a high metabolism. I guess if you want to "treat" yourself to some junk food every now and then it'd be ok, but if you can avoid it altogether, avoid them (especially if you don't want to start storing any unwanted fat/clogging your arteries).

Typically you'll want to at LEAST match the amount of grams in protein you intake to your body weight. If you're wanting to build muscle, you'll want to ingest more in grams than your body weight. For example, if you're doing a 1:2 ratio and you weigh 150lbs, then you'll want to intake 300 grams of protein a day to get results faster (I don't want to look like the hulk, so I typically do 1:1 or 1:1.5 ratio myself). Sound like a lot? Sure it is, but that's why body builders typically eat an average of 5 - 6 times a day along with supplements. If not, then you'll probably start getting frustrated with the little to no/lack of results after 3 - 6 months of working out.

Don't try to ingest all of that at once now. An average body typically can process 30 grams in one sitting. The rest passes right through you. Eat smaller meals and plan them out so you know you're eating healthy. You'll want to start paying attention to the nutrition label too so you'll know what you're getting :) 

It'll take some time, so be patient and keep working on it. As an example, I gained 37 lbs in 1 year by doing what I suggested above. Mostly muscle :tongue:  I started out as a twig capable of being blown away to the next state with the right gust of wind.

Oh and yeah, if you haven't started already, you can also pick up running and hiking as routines so you're not just bored with the standard leg squats, lunges, calf raises, blah blah blah.

12. Eman7673

Eman7673 The Beast

Ok this seems like my kinda thread. I'm gonna need to know a few things to calculate your macronutrient intake.

Bodyweight in lbs
    Current activity level (how many days a week are you active for at least 30 total minutes)

Also, how much experience do you have working out (in months, years, etc)? This will help me determine what split you should be utilizing for optimal gains. Also, what does your routine currently look like?

13. Eman7673

Eman7673 The Beast

Theres been conflicting studies on protein intake for a while now bro, I honestly feel that an intake of grams = lbs in bodyweight is a little high, at least from what I have read in my sports nutrition books. The absolute minimum a sedentary person should be taking in is .83 grams per kg of bodyweight, athletes can take in around 1.4-1.6, and weightlifters can take in 1.6-1.8 at the highest. Its all based on the maximum amount of protein that the human body can utilize to rebuild skeletal muscle efficiently, too high of a protein intake can lead to excess fat storage. Then again, there is an argument to be made of a much higher protein intake, but kidney health is also important to watch, especially if you are taking in creatine as well.

14. The Dark Seeker

News Credits:
    Yeah I don't use creatine because of the potential kidney issues I've read about (I've went through acute renal failure once already due to dehydration and am not planning on going through it again). I only take two protein shakes at most a day. But I guess visiting with a nutritionist couldn't hurt too. What I'm using seems to work for me but I know it may not work for some. All I know is, I've worked out with a a few air force buddies and hardly any of them gained anything primarily because they weren't eating enough or eating right. Two things I believe are important factors.

but going off of what you said....1.6 to 1.8? Is the 0.4 - 0.2 going to make that much of a difference? For about 3 months I did a 1:2 ratio and nothing seemed to affect me negatively. I've seen dropped to the 1 to 1.5 and things still are going just as well.

15. Eman7673

Eman7673 The Beast

Its not going to make a huge difference, but I like to include ranges so you can have a little variance from time to time you know

16. The Dark Seeker

News Credits:
    Ah ok :thumb 

17. QmTablit

QmTablit Disguise: Check. Robot...

Once a week maybe. And I'm talking Bacon Ultimate Cheeseburger and fries, not Subway (which isn't always all that great either, Jared's "diet" was based on 6in. subs and not $5 footlongs afterall). Fast food should be seen as a treat and less so as a necessity for a meal.

#1 thing though is to cut out soda. Completely. You can see my picture of myself in my sig, I'm not that big of a guy, but I still lost 10lbs of fat weight simply by cutting soda out of my diet.

18. OmegaScourge

OmegaScourge Custom Made TFW2005 Supporter

im no expert but this is from my experience.

its ok to have a cheat day...and when your on a good "diet" and have one, you'll notice you burn it off faster than when you did it often.

as for building our body completely, in which way are you talking about, size (bulk up a little/lot) & strength or primarily strength? Past/current issues (surgery, back pains, knee pains, etc)? How much have you done (worked out months/years ago, gym/home gym)? Do you (plan to) workout alone or with someone?

doing workouts, dont forget legs (i notice that's the part most like to skip) and core (which will help when doing a lot of the other workouts)...

Last edited: Jun 4, 2012
  19. ssjkazer

ssjkazer mr dyslexia

News Credits:
    advise that fits most types of people

protein shake in the morning and carbs

protein shake at lunch with salad

tea have a meal with out carbs if your skinny want to bulk up add carbs

at the beging of the day if you want to put on mussel
    at the end of the day if you want to lose weight

push ups are your friends crunchs are also good fast shoulder shurgs are good and going for a run helps lose weight and build leg mussel

next thing is good the avarge man can use 8kg weights get them use them for the avage woman use 3kg weights if your above avage increase by 2 kg

i hope this infomation helps

also haveing a treat in the morning is good for you because

a. you burn it off before the end of the day
    b. you dont have to think your not allowed it all day long
    c. its proven that a treat in the morning helps you stick to your plan longer

20. transformervic1

transformervic1 HI!

News Credits:
    I'm working out about 6 days a week for 30 mins, and i plan to for the rest of this month.