Customs: Working with super glue - advice?

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by Aberration, May 3, 2006.

1. Aberration

Aberration Templar Rodimus

News Credits:
    Well, it finally happened, I broke my first Transformer, and now I need to go out repairing him. I bought a tube of super glue, but I've never actually used the stuff before, so is there any advice that you can give?

I'm primarily worried about how much time I have to work with once I've applied it. This operation is a bit tricky because there are two surfaces that I have to glue at once, they're parallel sticks that are about as thick as a nail. Once I touch the two pieces together, am I going to have much time to adjust, or is it going to bond pretty quick?

I noticed that the brand of glue I bought (LocTite) also offers an "Extra Time formula" which sounds like what I may need, any opinions on that?

2. Overkill

Overkill Awesome Cassette Warrior

My first bit of advice is, super glue doesn't even work on some plastics, so it's always a bit of trial and error, have a damp cloth or spong ready to wipe the glue off if it doesn't work. Don't use something dry or any paper product, the super glue will stick to it and stick it to other things too and make a mess. how fast super glue sets also has to do with the material, and how much glue you use. Contact with air is what makes super glue set, so less glue = faster set time, more glue = slower set time, but can also = a mess.
    Hope this helps, good luck.

3. RHansen

RHansen Sir. Ranbotnic Veteran

News Credits:
    WEAR GLOVES! FOR THE LOVE OF GOD WEAR GLOVES :lol 

4. Ops_was_a_truck

Ops_was_a_truck JOOOLIE ANDREWWWWWS!!!!!!

Ebay:
    DO NOT GLUE FINGER A TO FINGER B. :D  Seriously though...superglue usually dries in about 20-30 seconds. The chemical bonds begin to set very quickly. You can buy speed-enhancing or delaying agents (like the "extra time formula" you mentioned) to allow for more time rechecking a fit.

However, I've always found that, once you've got the connection you want to glue lined up pretty well, putting the glue on and holding the parts together isn't that hard to do. 20 seconds is a long time when you consider that you're holding one small piece of plastic against another.

5. iDarkDesign

iDarkDesign Rodeo Lawyer

News Credits:
    Remember that some super glues can be very corrosive to plastics! Which will manifest in a white mark around the glued area. Some super glues melt the plastics against each other. NEVER use super glue on for example a model kit. However I have used different kinds of superglue on TF's and did not have any trouble with it.

iDD

6. Mexi-Con

Mexi-Con ...Stop Me When I'm Lying

Ebay:
    Do Not Inhale...too much! :eek: 

For real though, grab some finger nail polish remover in case you get it on your fingers and wash thoroughly before you go to the bathroom. Ever see American Pie?

7. Autobus Prime

Autobus Prime Transit Former

iDD:

Super glue actually works fine on model kits, which are usually molded or formed styrene plastic. Usually liquid plastic cement (which does slightly melt the plastic to weld it together) gives a better joint, but super glue is great for fastening metal to plastic.

Super glue is a glue, not a solvent-type cement. It bonds to both surfaces, and the better the surface is prepared the better the bond you will get. You should probably use some dish detergent and water and clean the oil and mold release from the plastic before gluing.

The fogging problem mentioned is especially bad if you try to use super glue on clear plastic. I made a few model cars that looked like they had a defroster running, because I tried using super glue to attach the windshield.

8. Kupp

Kupp Ford Fanboy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Do not I repeat do not get superglue on the back of your finger without noticing it and the scratch that itch underyour nose and accidentally glue your knuckle to you nose hair. Trust me it isn't fun. :banghead: 

Nor is sitting in the mens room in the dorm up on the sink counter with a tiny pair of scizzors trying to cut yourself free.

Not that I speak from experience or anything. Oh spilling superglue on open cuts, hurts.

I used to be into warhammer, so have a few scars on my hands from accidentally cutting myself with the exacto knife, and then as I flinched knocking the open bottle of superglue on my hand.

Acetone or nail polish remover will disolve most if not all superglues if you do get some on you.

Oh, one other thing I once spilled a bottle of superglue on blue jeans, well it appears that the glue and the chemicals used to make denim have a thermal reaction, as I burned my leg and the jeans started smoking.

What can I say, I am very accident prone. :lol 

9. Sideways

Sideways Banned

i accidentally super-glued my fingers together once....
    when i was 9.