Customs: Working with Sculpty Clay

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by tannim31, Dec 3, 2011.

1. tannim31

tannim31 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I was wondering if anyone has used Sculpty Clay with their Transformers or any other projects. I searched the forums and saw no real help on this, just alternate suggestions. I have used it with great success on a 1/64 scale Johnny Lightning Car (see attached pic, and pay no attention to the dust lol) but not sure how it would fair on plastic parts seeing as how it hardens via baking. Any thoughts and insights would be great! :) 

Thanks in Advance to all who view and or reply to this thread :) 

Attached Files:

2. Quantum25

Quantum25 Well-Known Member

Well, if you plan on making a stand alone piece (like a new head or shield) I guess sculpty would work. I think Sculpt-bot used it for his custom head tutorial.

But I suggest you look into Apoxy Sculpt (I do realize that you just want to work with Sculpty but hear me out). Not only is it self harding (great for use on plastics) but it also retains a lot of details and remains pretty strong as well. And since Sculpty requires "baking" to harden the clay, that'll most likely melt whatever plastic part you have underneath (provided that you're planning on sculpting new details into a part).

Try checking out the What's this "Apoxy Sculpt" tutotial in the tutorial forums if you have any questions or even better ask JinSat.

Hope this helps, sorry I wasn't able to give much insight working with sculpty.

3. tannim31

tannim31 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Thank you Quantum, I appreciate the info on the Apoxy Sculpt and will look into it :) 

4. SG hailstorm

SG hailstorm JaAm aficionado

I use sculpy on my transformers customs all the time as well as sculpt in general, whaddaya wanna know?? =)

5. Yaujta

Yaujta De-Headmasterizator TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Apoxie is okay, but of all the puttys I've used for figures and miniatures, I prefer fine-grade Milliput. It air-hardens, can be drilled or sanded and is relatively cheap and easy to find. I get it at Hobby Lobby from anywhere between $8 - 15, depending on what grade you use.

Sculpy is okay for crafts, but has an irritating ability to hold fingerprints you don't see until it's baked, due to the surface layer being nearly transparent while still pliable. It does make good molds and bases, but otherwise I avoid it.

Green Stuff, while looked down on by many, is still a great fall-back for details and small areas. I still use GS when necessary. I've sculpted full figures from it, and used it for years with great success.
    The downside here is the cost. If you get it from Games Workshop it's VERY expensive. If you find it online from a place like Armory that sells it in bulk, it's relatively cheap.

Sculpting tip - Nivea Skin Cream is EXCELLENT for smoothing and sculpting tool treatment. The stuff eliminates fingerprints and keeps sculpting tools from sticking to the putty.

6. gabumon

gabumon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Which of these suggested products would work well to make a replacement hip for a Animated Swindle? (can post pics) The trick is that it is ball joint connected on one end and swivel(?) connected on the other. I can just use the ball and swivel joint to mold the right socket size and shape, but... could I just leave the replacement hip there? would it stick? or would I have to remove it and let it dry? removing it might bore out the socket, right?

Thanks

7. SonOfNemesis

SonOfNemesis Well-Known Member

I say Apoxie Sculpt. I've used it many times on customs and had no issues whatsoever. It cures extremely tough, it fuses very strongly to anything, it can be sanded, shaved, and takes paint perfectly.

8. gabumon

gabumon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ok! But for a new hip, do it let it cure in-place?

9. MECHADOOM

MECHADOOM I'm Doombot and I know it

I would think that if it's got to cure/air dry, you'd want to leave the part as un-covered as possible, for the package-recomended duration.