Customs: working on my first customs project - RID Spychangers

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by Da_Razorsaw, Dec 1, 2010.

1. Da_Razorsaw

Da_Razorsaw Highwire ownz j00

News Credits:
    Hey. I'm preparing to start my first customs project, and my first goal is to create modernized, classics-style versions of the RiD Spychanger characters.

So far, the one I'm 100 percent committed to is R.E.V. from the Universe Sideswipe mold. That's easy enough to do, and frankly, kind of a no brainer.

That said, the others are much harder to wrap my head around. I'm going to be pretty much limited to repainting and cannibalizing parts from other Transformers, as being a beginner, I feel I should avoid sculpting.

That said, I've already purchased a Machine Wars/RM Mirage and a Cybertron Crosswise, as both of their heads are a good enough approximation of Crosswise and WARS. WARS I would think would make a good enough straight repaint of Crosswise, but I'm also waiting to be sure if his head is compatible with any other new molds before I get too far into things.

The biggest issue is going to be Mirage. I know, I know, Mirage into Mirage would be the easiest way to go, but there's the matter of their heads. RiD Mirage has a helmet with a mo-hawk and faceplate that's very different from Classic Mirage's head, which complicates the issue. I honestly can't think of anything that exists that would fit there. Suggestions, or should I just go for a straight repaint.

Next... I'm thinking Universe Hound for RiD Ironhide. Is it feasible to put Universe Ironhide's head there? Would the transformation work? I kinda need to figure this out in advance, lest I waste too much money. x_x

The last one is Hot Shot. Easily enough, I'm thinking of just doing a straight repaint of RtS Jazz in the vein of Ricochet, as Hot Shot/Artfire is a homage to Ricochet.

That said, nearly all of these have a similar issue that needs to be addressed in advance as well. Almost all of these guys are going to need decals; Hot Shot's flames, REV's hood eagle, Crosswise's X, WARS's kanji and name on his doors, and Ironhide's cow spots. Now, Ironhide I'm thinking would be easy enough to do with paint, but for the others, I have no idea how to begin to approach them. Does anybody have any ideas?

Those are my main questions. Though, one additional matter; I'm thinking of doing PCC Huffer up as RiD Towline as well. I have two questions - is the plastic on Caliburst paintable, and can anyone suggest a way to affix a small hook onto the bottom of his gunbarrel so he can remain a crane truck?

2. Treadshot A1

Treadshot A1 Or just 'A1' for short...

That's a lot of questions. I can help you with a few things, though:

1) Crosswise's X does not need a decal. You can simply mask off a diagonal line, paint it in, let dry, then mask off a perpendicular line and paint that, to get your X. No need for a decal.

2) R.E.V. I hope you're using the Sunstreaker version of that mold, there's no need to go through the trouble of painting it yellow when there's a yellow version of the mold available.

3) I have my doubts about Hound and Ironhide's head. The Hound head is a relatively small head, while Ironhide's is large. I would say it's best not to waste you're money there. My advice is use Movie Brawn, whose head has a lot or room in vehicle mode, so you can possibly fit a bigger head there. Though, either way, painting white is going to hurt.

4) Mirage...there's no way you can mod the existing head, there is very little room in the car mode for the head in the first place. Instead, go track down a PCC Leadfoot with Pinpoint 2 pack (the orange racer guy). He'll do fine for a Mirage, and with two heads, you have your pick which one to use, one small, one large.

5) Caliburst is paintable, but you'd be a fool to try it. It'll require quite a few coats before you stop seeing blue, so i'd say stay away from it. Use Movie Longarm or the new Hoist repaint.

3. Da_Razorsaw

News Credits:
    So for Mirage, would you recommend a straight repaint, then?

What about, say, the new Backwind from the Steelshot repaint of Backshot? He's opaque and he has a hook; would it be possible to paint that? I'm pretty beholden to the idea of getting Tow Line from Huffer, due to the similar transformation scheme.

And good idea, re: REV.

As for Crosswise, that's a good idea, except his x is a bit more unique than two straight lines, with the x starting as several smaller lines before becoming a full one.

4. Treadshot A1

Mirage is a straight repaint, choose whichever head suits you, and run with it.

I would say that anything made from clear plastic is just putting yourself in a world of hurt, my friend. I say use the Longarm mold, it'll save you a lot of trouble in the end.

Crosswise...
    [​IMG] (image courtesy of tfwiki.net)

I can see what you mean by the X being stylised, but my suggestion is this: do what i said with the masking off and painting, and then mask off and paint in two thin blue lines (where the gaps in the X are) to get the final X pattern.

5. Da_Razorsaw

News Credits:
    But the version of Backwind that comes with Steelshot isn't clear.

By mask off, you mean what exactly? with masking tape? Is that even possible with the small size the dashes would be?

and I'm not really sure about Leadfoot. Neither of his heads remind me of Mirage, and the huge man hands don't really work with the idea of him being a sniper.

6. Treadshot A1

Tell yourself the exhaust pipe fingers are secret gun barrels. Y'know, spy weaponry stuff.

Use painters tape for masking off the X. It's perfectly possible, not difficult at all.

Meh, I didn't keep up with PCC, if it ain't clear then it should be alright.

7. Da_Razorsaw

News Credits:
    I' suppose if I'm careful the x should work...

8. Da_Razorsaw

News Credits:
    anyway, I just had a flash of inspiration. Taking the Darkray version of Caliburst and a spare Backwind, and cut the hook off of Backwind and attach it to Darkray. Then it's still green!

Hm. I wonder if it's possible to remove the transformability of the Caliburst/Darkray mold and just have it sit on his arm. I like Mini-Cons, but in this case it doesn't neccessarily fit in RiD.