Customs: Working on a custom from FOC Jazz

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by MECHADOOM, Jan 13, 2013.

1. MECHADOOM

MECHADOOM I'm Doombot and I know it

I posted this question in the feedback thread for FOC Sideswipe, but I feel it's going to get lost in the shuffle there, and I might get better responses here.

I'm working on a custom using FOC Jazz, and I was thinking about picing up a FOC Sideswipe to swap some parts, to minimize some paintwork. On Jazz, the part that has his headlights on it is "U" shaped and goes up to make a connection with the shoulders in robot mode. I want to know if, underneath Sideswipe's hood, weather or not that piece still includes those headlights, or if the piece was retooled to not include the headlights, to save on plastic. I've tried looking at pics that people have posted, but so far no one has pasted a clear pic of the underside alt mode. Thanks to whoever can give me this answer.

2. Neekotron

Neekotron We're in Ratbat Country!

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    That wouldn't work. The section that has the lights on Jazz isn't exposed on Sideswipe. The heads, arms and legs would all be swappable.

3. MECHADOOM

My apologies, but you're understanding it backwards. I want to take the "U" shaped piece from Sideswipe, and put it on Jazz, but only if the piece from Sideswipe still has the headlights moulded on that piece, even though they can't be seen on Sideswipe. I guess I'll have to buy the toy to find out.

4. OmarJT82

OmarJT82 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    What is the end game for your custom? :confused: 

Mine, which also involves combining/swapping parts from FoC Deluxes Jazz and Sideswipe is a Generations/FoC Chromedome.

My plan is to replace certain parts on FoC Deluxe Sideswipe with parts from FoC Deluxe Jazz that are color dyed in brown and cream.

Assuming it fits, the head of FoC Deluxe Sideswipe will be replaced with the head of FoC Deluxe Air Raid. With the faceplate of that head repainted in orange, it WILL strongly resemble G1 Chromedome's head.

The end result will be a G1-deco, Generations/FoC Deluxe Chromedome.

5. MECHADOOM

Great minds think alike. This is kinda my plan, only I want to use Jazz's body as the basis. I just don't want the rub points to be blue, so I want to switch out all of the blue plastic parts from Jazz for the black ones from Sideswipe. But I still don't know if that "U" shaped piece on Sideswipe has the headlights molded in.

6. Neekotron

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    No, I get what you're saying, It does not work. Those U shaped pieces are different for both figures the SS version does not have lights and it shaped differently than Jazz. I'm looking at both figures right now.

7. MECHADOOM

Thanks Neekotron, this was the conscise answer I was looking for. Upon further scrutiny, I'm assuming that the piece in question forms the black "M" shape on Sideswipe's bumper, yes?

I may still try to swap parts anyway, and get a little creative with cutting for that U shaped piece.

8. Neekotron

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Dude, my bad, I just took another look and I think the paint was playing tricks on my eyes. SS's U section is the same curve, the SAME PIECE as Jazz, the bumper, cow pusher look of SS's front end is actually part of the red plastic mold and painted dark, not attached to the U shape, so you might be better off just painting the Jazz piece the color you want to work with than using another figure.

9. MECHADOOM

Just wanted to add info to this for anyone following with interest: I picked up FOC Sideswipe today, and promptly disassembled the section in question to find that the U shaped piece is completly unaltered, and 100% interchangeable with FOC Jazz, with headlights intact. They are just not visible on Sideswipe. So if anyone wants to swap Jazz's blue headlights for black ones (like I wanted to), know that you CAN get those headlights from Sideswipe.

(I was going to post a pic, but my lady left the camera battery un-charged)

10. OmarJT82

OmarJT82 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    If you truly want to combine certain parts from FoC Deluxes Jazz & Sideswipe in order to create a Generations/FoC Chromedome in a G1 color scheme, my advice is to use the U shaped piece from FoC Deluxe Jazz. Color dye or repaint it in brown and paint on red and white (or silver) stripes.

This pic of G1 Chromedome should serve an example:
    [​IMG]

As for the FoC Deluxe Jazz's blue headlights, repaint only the bumper section in black.

11. MECHADOOM

Thanks for the posting the pic, OmarJT82, it's great for reference. I'm going with paint, that's why I want the piece to be black. That way, I can leave the shoulder area unpainted(and not have to worry about it rubbing off), and it won't stand out as much as the blue would have. Personally I think I'll be making the headlights red, even though the original's were blue. Ah, options!