Working Designs is No Longer

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by 03Mach1, Jan 31, 2006.

1. 03Mach1

03Mach1 Reason Has No Voice

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I guess this happened near the end of December, but I just read it in EGM and in their forums. It's sad but true. The company that has given us excellent localizations of great Japanese RPGs will no longer do so. Their games included Vay, Popful Mail, Lunar, Lunar 2, Dragon Force, Albert Odyssey, Magic Knight Rayearth, Alundra, and many more. If you even remotely consider yourself a fan of Action/RPGs or traditional RPGs, then I'm sure you've played many if not most of their offerings. It's a sad time in the gaming industry when quality storytelling loses out to flashy fluff. Here's to a great company that gave me many excellent hours of gameplay.
    :( 

http://workingdesigns.com/forum/showthread.php?t=118916

2. Cruellock

Cruellock Disney Villain

Ding dong the witch is dead !

Serves them right for always taking so long to release something, then charging a stupid ammount of money for it. Long ago I was going to buy Lunar 2 on the PS1, but since they took so long, I took my preorder back and bought a bike with the money.

3. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    Vic Ireland is an asshole. I've talked to him before, and have every right to say that based on my dealings with him. He also thought he was doing good things by raping the games they released by adding stupid american pop culture references and jokes where there was serious dialogue before. Hardly the quality translations that they promised.

Occasionally though, they did come through. and many of the delays were caused by sony, not WD.

while I wasnt a fan of the company, it is sad to see them go.

4. Atomsplitter

Atomsplitter Needs a new title.

Well... I played Alundra. Sounds like that's the only thing from them I ever played.

Oh well.

5. Rodimus Prime

Rodimus Prime Sola Gratia, Sola Fide TFW2005 Supporter

Yay! I hated their retarded translations. "Oh, an M&M joke, hahaha."

6. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

While I would have much preferred more accurate translations, what they did to their action games bothered me more. They made the PSX version of Silhouette Mirage practically unplayable by tampering with the game mechanics.

7. Gryph

Gryph Action Master

News Credits:
    Practically unplayable? That game rocked! What was so bad about it?

8. 03Mach1

03Mach1 Reason Has No Voice

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Wow. I had no idea there was so much hatred towards WD. I guess it's no wonder that they went out of business.

9. undertaker

undertaker Deadman's Disciple

That is a shame. Say what you will about the quality of the product or how they tampered with it, if it wasn't for WD, games like Lunar, Vay, Cosmic Fantasy 2, Exile and Exile: Wicked Phenomenon, Arc the Lad, Albert Odyssey, Silhouette Mirage (a good game, though better on the Saturn), etc., would probably have never seen the light of day in this country except through imports. I'll admit I didn't appreciate the delays (Magic Knight Rayearth...) and the fact that they had some games ready for release (Cosmic Fantasy 3, World Heroes, and King of the Monsters on the TurboDuo) but cancelled their releases. Delayed or not, though, I'm grateful they released any games at all.

I suppose this was to be their fate. [After all, look at some of my favorite game producers: SNK/SNK Playmore (definitely not the SNK of old), Hudson Soft and NEC (they released the majority of the US TurboDuo games)...]

10. SpazmasterX

SpazmasterX My turn to protect you.

I'd probably care if they ever released a game I thought was worth playing.

11. Big Nine

Big Nine <font color= pink><b>Pink Soul<br>'Weak Humanoid G Veteran

That is the reason I didn't post this news in Dec.

12. Shin-Gouki

Shin-Gouki Rebuilding Veteran

News Credits:
    Originally: Huntington Beach, CA, Now: Cincinnati
    It's sad to see this, altho the way $ony of america was treating them we were not getting anything good from them anyway.

13. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

Have you played the untampered version? For one thing, the game isn't supposed to be as difficult, but Working Designs decided to both make the enemies stronger and make the weapon shops charge more. That's slightly irritating, and arguably disrespectful toward the designers who had already balanced the game the way they wanted it, but they did something far worse. Attacking is NOT supposed to decrease your spirit meter, but WD decided to make it do that. That's like if they had hacked Lunar so that normal attacks drain your experience points. It adds unnecessary tedium and "difficulty" to the game without enhancing anything. Even if one or two random players out there like that, it's a case of the "translators" making arbitrary changes to the game to suit their own personal tastes instead of doing their job: translating.

14. Atomsplitter

Atomsplitter Needs a new title.

Completely unrelated, but why do people think replacing s with $ is cool or funny? M$ is probably the biggest one, but I see plenty of other things having the sign put in instead... It's just not funny, or isn't a good insult, or whatever it's supposed to be.

LOLOLO M$ CUZ DEY MAKE LOTZ O MONIES

15. SpeedBreaker

SpeedBreaker DESTRON NEW LEADER

Maybe they'll change their name to Unemployed Designs.

16. adamthered

adamthered Reads comics. Starts shit

News Credits:
    Lunar and Lunar 2 are my favorite RPGs ever. I owned them on Sega CD and I have them on PS1, the big special edtions that can't be found anymore. I have Lunar Legend on the GBA. I bought the new Lunar DS game but hated the graphics and the lose hit points while running thingee.

But man, Lunar 1 & 2 are just tops. Especially since they had charcter designs by the guy that did character design from Giant Robo (can't remember his name).

I also had Vey and Popful Mail, which were fun, but no where near the perfection of Lunar.

17. Shin-Gouki

Shin-Gouki Rebuilding Veteran

News Credits:
    Originally: Huntington Beach, CA, Now: Cincinnati
    Just a jab at a company that has become too big and too greedy for their own good.