Working at Toys R Us? - need advice, and a work rant (sorry)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Sokar, Nov 3, 2006.

1. Sokar

Sokar Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Appologies in advance for the rant and length of this post

For anyone who works, or has worked/knows someone who has worked, at TRU, did you enjoy it at all? would you recomend working there (not long term, but at most a year or two type of thing)?

Right now I'm a bakery supervisor, but for a number of reasons I'm getting extremely fed up with where I work. I've tried switching areas in the store, but have ended up being drawn back to the bakery because I enjoyed the baking and some of the people there. Unfortunately, most of the mature people I used to get along with have left, and while there are a couple of newer staff that I get along with, for the most part it's not the same anymore. Even the baking has lost it's appeal now since most of the time I'm doing the baking plus 3 other jobs it seems (even though in most cases it's because other people aren't taking their jobs seriously and either leave it for me/someone else, or just don't come to work for one reason or another. What's worse is that quite often, I can't even get on people's cases about some of the things that they leave because the other supervisor either does the exact same thing, or just tells them it's ok to do it, since she thinks I'm the workhorse of the department).
    I know every job has it's problems, and there will always be some people who don't care about their jobs, but it's become not just problematic sometimes, but ALL the time, and I'm just getting tired of the grind of it. People come to me and bitch about how our manager isn't doing anything to help them out, or how others aren't doing their jobs constantly, yet they're the ones who are doing nothing most of the time while our manager (who is by far one of the best managers I've ever worked with) is picking up the slack for them just so the few serious people don't kill themselves. Unfortunately for me, I'm extremely serious about work, and while I've had people tell me not to worry so much, and that 'tommorow always comes', I can't leave things in a mess for other people after me, and so I end up pushing myself harder than I should, missing all my breaks and lunch pretty much on a daily basis (in some cases at the same time working a 13 hr shift), and working myself to the point where I finally am too sick to work (ie I can't breath, or am puking) thanks to spending way too many hours in the freezers putting away the stuff that other people were supposed to, but left it for me and now the other departments want it put away.
    I've really reached the point where I feel anxiety every time I think about work. There's nothing there anymore for me, and it feels more like I'm staying there out of guilt than anything. There is no enjoyable aspect to it anymore. I'm not expecting a super fun, happy work environment or anything like that, but there should be some aspect of enjoyment at least. Instead it's nothing but stress and negativity that seems to be found in my department.
    It just seems like I need to get out of there now before I ruin my attitude and my health. I love to work, and I don't want to loose that by being put off by this experience. As far as my health, I'm getting more and more sick, my back and neck are starting to develop problems (I'm having problems turning my head to the left now without a sharp pain in my neck), I'm not eating properly (the no break/lunch thing), and I can't even sleep properly anymore due to work. Taking antacids all the time to avoid ulcers is just not fun...

So anyway, back to the point of this thread, I've seen a posting for TRU night stocking that I've considered applying for, but I'm not sure if I'm going to just be walking into the same thing. Moneywise, I'd actually be making the same at TRU as I do now I think, and I'd be getting the same amount of hours. I think there would actually be more regularity to the shifts being worked, and I'm more interested in toys than in food, so at least I'd have something to work with that I'm interested in. I'm a night person, so I've got no real problem with the night shifts (hell, university showed me how to work well at night haha), and there may be some similarly paying day jobs from the sound of it when I talked to some of the people at the store. But I'm still not sure if it's worth quiting my current job.

I'm not looking at this as a career. I actually graduated with a first class honors bsc in archaeology, but unfortunately the job market is pretty low for jobs in that field. I'm going back to university once I've got the money to, so I'm not looking at this as a permanent move.

If anyone has any advice or stories/rants about TRU that they would like to share, I'd definitely appreciate it.

2. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    TRUs that are hiring right now are likely only hiring seasonal help, which means you'd be let go in a few months.

Around here, they're needlessly picky with the people they hire too. I filled out an application (ruscareers.com, I think), and got it sent back to me right away stating they had no positions that met my qualifications. I have years of retail experience, along with stocking and overnight experience too. available all hours, well educated, and they somehow found something undesirable in my application. didnt check references or background either. This was two months ago, and they still claim to be hiring.

3. Sokar

Sokar Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    From who I've talked to it's not just seasonal right now actually. At the moment in calgary, we've got a major labor shortage, and they've been hiring for the past few months. They just can't get anyone.

If it's seasonal though, I definitely won't be going for it.

4. rattrap007

rattrap007 Insert witty comment here TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I worked there. It is ok... but only if you are expecting few hours. No regular employee gets more than about 24 hours a week. You are only part time. I ended up leaving TRU. It was a good steady job when I had it. But I needed more money for classes and such. At the end of my time there I was only getting about 12 hrs a week. I got a job at Wal-mart and was much happier.

At TRU you get 1/2 lunch (6.5 hours or more) or a 15 min break (6 or less). You are supposed to get lunch and 15 min break, but that never happens.

At Wal-Mart I had a lot more fun. I got better pay (about $2 more), was full time. got an HOUR lunch, two 15 min breaks. Better music too. Plus instead of being the only one on break, pretty much everyone breaks at the same time.

I'd say avoid TRU. It is ok, but they treat you kinda like crap. Get a job at Target or Wal-Mart. They'd pay better.

Also at Wal-mart our supervisor to thank us on a good job on inventory, did a big cook out and made big monster burgers. They were excellent. TRU never did anything like that.

5. Insane Galvatron

Insane Galvatron is not insane. Really!

News Credits:
    I can't help you out as far as TRU is concerned. However, I do have some advice about your current job situation.

You're the boss, start acting like one. First, talk to the other supervisor about whats going on. Tell her that it's not ok to push all the work off on you just because they know you will do it. Also that she needs to be on the same page as you when you start letting people know they need to stop slacking. If I had a boss as spineless as you, I'd see how little work I could get away with doing too. Thing is, if I slack off at work, I get my ass chewed. So what do I do? I work hard.

Sorry if that was harsh, but sometimes people just need to be told straight out.

6. mrhillz

mrhillz Changed his user title. TFW2005 Supporter

I work at the one here, the biggest complaint I have is that I'm only part time, and that's what everyone else is. Working 24 hours a week is hardly enough for me to even think about moving back out on my own from where I'm living right now.

7. Kickback

Kickback Proud father Administrator Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Tumblr:
    Online applications go through an automatic "weed-eater" so to speak. If you put something, anything, that they flagged as "not okay" then your application would be sent back immediately with a "no thanks".

It beats having paper applications all the damned time.

8. Deefuzz

Deefuzz Beard On! Beardmaster! Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    It all depends on your location, the management there, and so on.

I worked at TRU when I was transitioning out of college and could not find a position utilizing my degree. I took a position in the stockroom around June or July, which put me in there well before seasonal hiring began.

I loved it, I loved the work I did, my coworkers were cool, but the pay was terrible. Come season (the term TRU uses for the Christmas shopping season) things picked up quite a bit, instead of a weekly truck we got mutliples per week, eventually one per day, and on some days we got two trucks. There was a mass influx of new seasonal temp help. Some of these people were cool, but most were young kids that didn't really care about the quality of work they did, just that they got a paycheck.

All in all, season was a fantastic time, and as long as you are a regular (not a "vest" as we called them, the temp help people) it should be enjoyable. At the end of season all the vests get cut loose, we kept one or two who were outstanding workers, but the rest were gone. Also after season is over your weeks of overtime get cut down to about 5-10 hours a week if you are lucky...the place is just so dead.

So it is a toss-up. I miss it, and would love to possibly go back to it as a supplement to my regular job, but don't go into it thinking that it will be a lucrative move. The discount isn't even all that great, but it is better than nothing. I can't speak for work out on the floor, I did very little of that, but even then it wasn't that bad.

My issues were more with management, and other ways the company is run (like forcing your employees to sell "X" amount of buyer protection plans to customers).

Don't know if that helps you out or not.

Interestingly enough I had come across an anti-TRU page after I had left the company. I'm not going to release that into a public forum however, but those who are interested may PM me for the link.

9. Sokar

Sokar Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    While that's honest, and generally good advice, in the context of my job, it doesn't work that well. I've gone after people, argued with the other supervisor about things, and have had numerous discussions about it with my manager, but it just doesn't do anything. It's one of those 'great in theory, poor in practice' situations

If someone doesn't do something/does it poorly, if I talk to them about it they either do it worse/not at all the next time on purpose, or they just call in 'sick'. At that point I can write up the incidents in our records, and supposedly after that, suspensions and such are supposed to happen. Unfortunately, it doesn't matter to these people if they get written up because they know that the company won't endanger their job thanks to the current labor shortage that we have. If you can remember your own name they'll hire you it seems. We've got probationary periods, yet everyone seems to pass them no matter what they do. Seriously, we've had people who constantly show up late, do a half ass job when they get there, get written up, and then somehow pass their probation, making it very difficult to get rid of them at that point due to our union and company regulations. I've gone to my manager with this before, and there's nothing that happens. It's not that she doesn't want to do anything, but it's the simple fact that she can't do a whole hell of a lot about it because of the pressures to keep the staff coming from the company's upper management.

Dont' get me wrong, I agree with your advice, but I've tried it, and it doesn't end up doing anything but actually making the situation worse, because then instead of having lazy workers, I have lazy pissed off workers, and I've got toothless disciplinary measures to back things up with

Deefuzz -
    I definitely agree about the seasonal issues. And this is only for the money to go back to university, so I'm definitely not looking at it long term

10. cowscows527

cowscows527 Well-Known Member

Alberta in general is suffering a major labour shortage (which makes for awesome pay on easy jobs :thumb  ) Toys R Us could be good during the Christmas season because you'll get a lot to do. It's my preference that the more work I have, the faster the day goes. The shipping companies (eg, Save-on-foods' warehouses) are also paying insanely well, but you have to sacrifice your soul in order to work at one (I barely lasted 2 weeks at one in Edmonton, but made $1700).

I have no experience at Toys R Us, but I have worked retail during the busy seasons and as long as you can do your own job then it goes pretty smoothly. The other workers are more of a distraction when bored, but you don't have to rely on them so much. Each branch works differently than others, so you may have to try yours specifically.

11. Blunticon

Blunticon The Oddjob

Change is always good. Try it out.

12. jourdo

jourdo TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    I'd agree with your assessment. In Calgary right now there is no way it is seasonal help they are looking for. I know the south TRU has been hiring forever. I don't know what they would like to work for, but you could potentially make some decent coin for a job that doesn't seem that bad. Worst case scenario... it sucks... you quit... find another job.

13. Team Jetfire

Team Jetfire Pop-POP!

News Credits:
    I would think that you could walk into any retail store and get a job with out issue. Depending on where you live in the city you could try the home improvement stores also (RONA, Home Depot), they pay really well and I'm sure are hiring.
    Also if you like I have some pull at the Sport Chek's across the city, I may be able to land you a job (possibly full time). You don't need to know a whole lot about sports (as they will teach you), but for most of the jobs you need to sell to customers. There are other opportunities for service techs (what I do) and for shipping personal. PM me if you are interested.

As for working at toys r us it would be pretty fabulous to have a first crack at some toys....

14. Sokar

Sokar Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Thanks to everyone for the help. I dropped in an application today, so hopefully I hear something back.

I'm going to check out some more places suggested here too and see what they're offering.

Team Jetfire - Thanks for the offer to help out with sport check. I appreciate it, but I think I'll pass. There seems to be enough jobs out there that I should be able to find something, and I'd rather not impose. Thanks anyway though!

15. Insane Galvatron

Insane Galvatron is not insane. Really!

News Credits:
    Based on that alone, I'd change jobs. If things are that piss poor, I'd go somewhere where things are better. I've never worked at a TRU, but I can't see it being any worse. lol

16. ckhtiger

ckhtiger old skool fool

I worked at the Framingham, MA toys r us two years ago starting thanksgiving week doing the night stocking thing. I got started doing the job where you pull boxes off of the back shelves for people who were stocking the floor, scanning them out for inventory and stuff. I was eventually put out on the floor stocking the sections of little ride-on toys, bike equipment, and sportinig goods.

the work itself was fine, EXCEPT when I was put on the task of baling cardboard every couple of days. that SUCKED. I'm kind of a little guy, and that was murder on my body. loading all of the cardboard generated by all of the stocking, and eventually wrapping it with these big nasty metal lashes. the manager was fine, but I also developed carpal tunnel syndrome from lifting boxes all the time.

you'll basically be playing a giant game of tetris, moving boxes around a lot. the other funny thing was I was about one of 4 english-speaking people, with about 20 brazillians. they were pretty cool, even though I couldn't understand most of 'em. the only thing about the job was that most people were let go christmas eve :( 

17. TestDrive

TestDrive razzle dazzle

i loved working at toys r us and i got at least 35 hours a week, i make twice as much now but when i started i seriously thought about going back to tru and i didn't have a stupid morgage i'd still think about going back to work there. plus theres nothing like getting hit on by milf when you take there stuff out to there car

18. jestermon

jestermon Well-Known Member

Knowledge

Also, in my area it is highly looked down upon to have any idea about toys, the only hire people who have no clue about products they sell, they do not want you to assist the customers they want to get them in there and get them to drop a fat dime down on something that was not the thing the kid wanted in the first place, regarding Christmas time anyways.

19. Pidgeot018

Pidgeot018 Pok├ęcon

I worked at one during the summer before I entered college.

Loading the boxes off of a trailer sittiing in the hot sun was physically tough, but I prefered it to being at the register and having to deal with the public. Also, one of the things about working the summer as opposed to Christmas-time is that for the latter, you're probably not going to be delivering as many bikes, or swingsets or bags of sand to the front.

And I never used the job to take advantage of getting any Transfomers or videogames early. If anything, patrolling the game sections for hours on end made me a little sick of looking at the things.