"Work will set you free" indeed...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Paladin, Dec 18, 2009.

1. Paladin

Paladin Have Zord, Will Travel

News Credits:
    Detroit- It's a shithole full of people who steal
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
  2. smkspy

smkspy is one nice fucking kitty

Teenagers do the wildest things.

3. thenatureboywoo

thenatureboywoo Veteran

News Credits:
    Unless they plan on melting it down, what do they plan on doing with it and not getting caught?

4. smkspy

smkspy is one nice fucking kitty

Bed room display, what else. It's the ultimate stop sign.

5. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan www.megamoonman.com TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    There are nazi memorabilia collectors out there who would pay a pretty penny for that - one of them probably set it all up in the first place.

6. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    Jeez, I mean, there are people in our fandom willing to do some pretty despicable things to possess a little hunk of plastic that might be hard to find, but Im sorry, I cant fathom a mindset of arranging such a plot just to own something associated with that much death and human misery. The only reason I can think of for not smelting it down and recasting it as part of some ignominious object is that keeping it in a public place like where it is (was) or a museum so that people can see it as a warning of what road humanity needs to steer far clear of.

7. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 "No Mas" My Wallet

News Credits:
    this! or possibly stolen by a Neo Nazi group to decorate their secret meeting place, to them it would be an epic symbol to have. at any rate to me given how high the sign was above the ground, this was clearly a group effort as the article suggests with a fair amount of planning done as there would be need to get it down and get gone quickly and quietly and likely either had someone on the inside or had inside knowledge as to avoid the guards catching them in the act. I hope they catch those responsible and punnish them to the fullest extent of Polish law

8. Kaymac

Kaymac I'M REALLY FEELIN' IT!

Very weird indeed. There may be many reasons why it was taken down. Maybe the removers thought they were taking down a symbol of much pain and death in order to help us forget. Maybe they were simple vandals. Perhaps they were memorabilia collectors as others have said (and believe me, that some very awful "memoriabilia" to be collecting), or possibly Neo Nazis hoping to parade it around. A very strange event, and one that could be seen as many things, from vandalism, to freedom making, to even worship of a very evil and disbanded organization.

9. grimlock1972

News Credits:
  10. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Doing something like this is about as bad as taking a whizz in a church's holy water.

From the things i have read from the likes of Samuel Fuller, Rod Serling, and the recollections of former prisoners, there is something so evil (a spiritual taint?) attached to that sign and place, that i don't see how anyone can physically touch it.

it's like radiation poisoning of the soul to be around it for long, IMO.

Just put it back, say a prayer and leave it be. and let future generations see it from a distance.

I am glad it was recovered.

11. newguy

newguy i

People are stupid.

12. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

Signs, signs, everywhere signs....

13. Deathnoble

Deathnoble Aristocratic Assassin

They caught the people and it seems that were just in for money reasons....

But other than that. Steal it to use as a symbol could be done by either side. Huh.....

14. grimlock1972

News Credits:
    they cut it into 3 pieces it will be easily put back together though. tome this brings this quote to mind:

“Those who fail to learn from history are doomed to repeat it.”
    Sir Winston Churchill

those 5 men do not have a proper respect for the atrocity committed by the Nazis in that place

15. Megatronwp38

Megatronwp38 Megatron? Is that you!?!?

That's an odd thing to steal. People will deface anything to make money anymore.

16. Lock Cade

Lock Cade Tarn Fangirl TFW2005 Supporter

Wow, just wow...

17. Team Jetfire

Team Jetfire Pop-POP!

News Credits:
    I understand that the sign is historic, but why was it it still up in the first place. I would have thought a sign that served as the gates of hell would have been destroyed long ago. I suppose it acts as a reminder, but it is not exactly a good reminder for those who lived through it...

18. grimlock1972

News Credits:
  19. grimlock1972

News Credits:
    another update seems the sign was stolen to be sold to fund a Swedish neo nazi group's planned terrorist acts : Auschwitz Sign Theft Linked to Far-Right Terrorist Plot -- Politics Daily

the story keeps getting stranger seems the thieves were just some poor schmucks hired to get the sign and have no ties to the group other than doing this job for them. sorry for the double post

20. GENOZAUR

GENOZAUR Banned

Dude, you just described a very real thing when itcomes to the whole spiritual taint bit

for me this is a very terrible thing i have myself been learning to live with since i learned at the age of 18 that my fathers side ofthe family is german

for me the world wars and germanys role in it and the holocaust has proven to be a dark and terrible legacy that i have learned to live with over the years

the clayton family my fathers side of the family came to the states in 1900 at the turn of the century from germany and though the clayton family was able to avoid takeing part in germanys role throughout the times of the world wars i still very muc hbeleive that theire exists a sprititual taint of srots in the cayton family because of it's german heritage alone.