Work in Retail? Post war stories here!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Hoolagrin, May 1, 2007.

1. Hoolagrin

Hoolagrin Wheelie Rules! TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    So after reading the 100th post on why Target/wal*mart/any other store sucks, I wanted to tell the other side of the story. In another thread, I said

[quote Hoolagrin]From 15+ years retail experience, grandma's with wish lists the day before Christmas are the only more aggravating guest than the collector.[/quote]

So here are the reasons why I am a collector and I still roll my eyes at other collectors:

1) The hot wheels collector that followed me around the store as I was putting up toys and constantly looking over my shoulder and asking if he could "help me."

2) The Spider man collector that harassed a team member of mine for about two hours because he was POSITIVE that the exclusive black spider man he wanted was sold at our store. It wasn't. It was sold at Wal-mart. Apparently he was in the store for 3 hours hovering around her.

3) The Star wars collector who rips all the toys off the pegs looking for that special one hidden in the back and leaves the toys scattered all over the aisle.

4) The TF fan that called me an idiot because I didn't know the exact date that the classics line would be in, 5 months before the were officially released!

5) The Marvel collector who gets mad at the team members because the pegs are full of "First Appearance Thing" and "Wonder Man" and he wants his "Scarlet Witch".

5) Any jerk who buys up the entire stock and scalps or hordes them.

A big thank you to any collector who is polite and considerate to retail employees!

2. Rodimus Major

Rodimus Major Custom User Title

News Credits:
    Ebay:

Then those people probably ran to their message boards and complained about "lazy employees who aren't trained and just don't care".

3. Ops_was_a_truck

Ops_was_a_truck JOOOLIE ANDREWWWWWS!!!!!!

Ebay:
    I don't know about collector horror stories, but I did get to watch two overweight Moms get in a slappityslap fight about who gets the Thomas The Tank Engine Playboard. That was entertaining.

4. Jux

Jux Please, call me Steve. Veteran

When I worked at WalMart, our District Manager had had enough of Target's shit, so we set a raid for dawn.

We gathered our men before dawn, and drew up a cunning plan. As the sun rose that morning, we landed on the north side of their parking lot, and slaughtered them all with Everyday Low Prices and Sam's Choice ammunition.

5. Ops_was_a_truck

Ops_was_a_truck JOOOLIE ANDREWWWWWS!!!!!!

Ebay:
    I think I saw the movie adaptation of that, Bravemart.

6. Jux

Jux Please, call me Steve. Veteran

I LOL'd.

7. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:
    The year of the Pokedex/pokemon craze, Christmas time, two elderly grandma's last one, not a pretty site.

8. Doctor Doom

Doctor Doom Doom is best pony Veteran

Last night a group of kids were being stupid in my department (Electronics). One kid was acting all retarded and was laying in a cart with his hands and feet dangling off the sides while his dumbass friend was pushing him.

Me: "Hey, ya need to get out of the cart"

Dumbass: "He cant... hes Dyslexic!."

Me (somewhat stunned to hear this and trying to keep a straight face): "Dude, thats a Learning Disability not a develomental one. Come back when ya find a better line."

A few weeks ago there was a teen dance at the fair grounds across the highway from Wal-Mart. Dumbass kids galore! We had a group pretending to be freaking Solid Snake in the crafts area. Rolling around the floors and hiding behind endcaps. I wish real ninjas were there to kill them for being soooo stupid. I caught up with them and well, told them to get out. They ran and hid. I knew what they looked like and low and behold I started to be all stealthly and followed them. I ran ahead to the from of the store and just casually talked to a few co-workers until they appeared, joking on how they gave me the slip. I walked right behind them, joined up with their laughter and none were the wiser.

Me: "Haha! Hahh! Yeah, you really game me the slip for like 5 seconds, the doors you want to go though are over there."

They all stopped and turned to see me point to the Grocery Doors. All of them marched out dejected. It was one of the funniest things I have ever seen.

9. alphie

alphie Veteran

News Credits:
    I work at Old Navy. I think it has to be the worse store when it comes to young kids running around with no parental supervision. I don't know how many times I had to yell at a kid to stop climbing the ladders or stop bouncing the balls. The other day three kids were playing dodgeball in the baby department. Nearly hit a mom with an infant in her arms. Had to yell at them to stop, but they kept at it. The mother, no care in the world.

10. Thorns2010

Thorns2010 Well-Known Member

I used to work at an outlet mall. So as far as I know none of the stores had public bathrooms. Apparently this pissed off many a customer, and on more then one occasion people used the dressing room as a bathroom. Thankfully I never had to clean it up!!

As far as collectors go, at the various stores I've worked at the only ones that bothered me were the Hot Wheels guys. Getting upset about how the system works, AKA the staff opening up the boxes in the back, getting the 'good' stuff.

Now I understand where they are coming from with that, trust me. But its kind of like if you know thats how it works, learn to deal with it, you know??

And I always got a kick out of the 1 guy who would ALWAYS be waiting for the store to open and run to the toy section to see if there was any new Hot Wheels put out.

11. Phy

Phy I want... ROOM SERVICE!!

News Credits:
    And of course, if you bonk their heads together like Moe Stooge, you're the bad guy.

There Ain't No Justice.

12. Gnaw

Gnaw Banned

I think the worse customer I ever encountered was this woman who was checking out. Apparantly, the stuff she was buying was cheaper than what the tag said. She actually COMPLAINED that she was getting the items cheaper. Apparantly she did not like how the computers didn't have the right price for every item all the time.

I have actually decided that if anyone gets sassy in my department (electronics), I will flip out on them. Or slap them....with words.

13. netkid

netkid Where's my Goddamn shoe!

News Credits:
    My friend used to work at KB toys for a summer job.
    He told me of how the Hot Wheels guys were real bad. If Mattel releases a track set or a 5-pack with a car they want, they take out a box cutter and cut that single car out, stealing it. It pissed off my friend and his manager because now the product is missing parts so they couldn't sell it.
    I also hate this because many an occasion I have not bought a specific track set or a 5-pack that I wanted because some greedy dumbass car jacked the package.

He said the second worst customers are the Star Wars colletors who do not stop pestering him asking if they have a certain figure in stock, in the back room, in a case.

Some people need to learn patience.

14. Dragonclaw

Dragonclaw Comic Ink - Dublin, CA

News Credits:
    Part of the reason Target stopped selling packs like that is the Hot Wheel collectors who would buy the pack, swap out the cars and return it...not like the service desk employees are going to know the difference between different cars...especially since they'd usually just use a common deco of the same molds when possible...

There was 1 Hot Wheel guy who wore a red polo shirt with khaki pants and was always having to be chased out of the stockroom. Every time he tried to pull the "I was looking for the bathroom" line...well the bathroom has NEVER been in the middle of that pallet in the bulk steel :lol 

15. RandomFerret

RandomFerret Fuzzy Forever

News Credits:
    I worked as a night custodian in a Wal-Mart one summer. I lasted about a week.

There were men having buttsex in the washroom.

16. oddobot

oddobot carpe diem all diem long

Ebay:
    Having worked at Walmart for almost 3 years now, i've seen and heard it all. Idiots in wheelchairs that are just being assholes and taking them from people who really need them, morons walking together inside hoolahoops, you name it odds are, i've seen it. There is even an associate there who jerks off in the handicapped stall in the mens room. I've walked in on it, nasty, it sounded like someone was milking a cow and worshipping the Devil!! As far as customers go in general, this one guy was asking about Cingular phones and I was explaining to him that they don't work that great around this area, he responds like this:

Customer:Well if the damn things don't work around here, why do you sell them?

Me:Well we sell them mainly for tourists that come to the area, and will be traveling around frequently.

Customer:That answer doesn't suit me, sir. WHY do you sell the f'ng things.

(by this time i'm biting my tounge and can feel the rage coming)

I turn to walk off and page management to deal with this asshole, he kindly says:

DON'T WALK AWAY FROM ME BOY, YOU GET PAID TO PUT UP WITH ASSHOLES LIKE ME!!

To which I reply, yes I do but no where NEARLY enough, and I walked away.

17. Hoolagrin

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    QFT! Every Target I have worked at has at least one of these guys.

18. Gnaw

Gnaw Banned

:eek: 

19. Hoolagrin

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    You are my hero. I've always wanted to say something like this. I used to work in a univiersity bookstore in college - no uniforms. A co-worker of mine walked up to a gir4l and asked her if she needed any help. She looked at him and asked him "Do you work here?"

He replied deadpan "No, I just like to walk around and ask random people if they need help." And then he walked away from her. He told me he wasn't going to help her because she had no business in a "college" textbook store.

20. mrhillz

mrhillz Changed his user title. TFW2005 Supporter

Since I've started working at Toys R Us , I've dealt with-

Angry parents when we don't have the items that were in our weekly ad, esepecially during christmas.

A little kid that swore there was a transformer named "megazord" , which was quite funny.

Lots of loud kids that throw fits when they have to leave and can't play with the Thomas train tables.

This midget that calls several times a week asking about new Marvel Legends and Star Wars toys, sometimes getting mad at me when we don't have anything new.