Minor/Repaint: Work In Progress SG Rodimus

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by SonOfNemesis, Feb 5, 2011.

1. SonOfNemesis

SonOfNemesis Well-Known Member

A commission for a customer who wanted SG Rodimus. I used lacquer paints for everything except the windshield - for that, I used acrylic paint.

Custom Decals are underway and will be revealled once this custom is altogether and finished so stay tuned :) 

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Video Link of WIP Review:
    YouTube - WIP SG Rodimus by Xracer Customs

Attached Files:

2. autobotx23

autobotx23 Banned

Looking damn good, man!

3. SonOfNemesis

It'll look a whole lot better with a set of your custom decals man :)  Thanks!

4. fabexmax

fabexmax Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    So can I get in line to get one of these next SoN!?

5. Rotorstorm

Rotorstorm OriginalRotorstorm Fanboy

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Think I might try this myself, there's plenty of BIS Rodimus to go round anyway :D  (that and slipstream from Cyclonus looks good too)

6. SonOfNemesis

Absolutely :D 

Yep

7. Jbarb78

Jbarb78 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Did someone get some HoK paints?

8. SonOfNemesis

Yes sir :D 

9. fakebusker83

fakebusker83 Radicon

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'll wait eagerly for the final results!
    Just beware of the rub on the elbows, shoulders and backpack. I wonder how are you gonna handle those bright yellow ball joints on the shoulders..

10. SonOfNemesis

I already took care of those rub spots and checked to make sure they are gone :) 
    The yellow joints have been prepped as well with my usual preventive joint rub maintenance but I know what you're talking about. Thanks man, I really appreciate your feedback as it is much respected!!

11. Nyarlahotep

Nyarlahotep Radicon Scourge

Ebay:
    I'm looking to do this myself very shortly. Would you mind sharing your approach to preventing the ball joint rub like you mentioned earlier? Also, are you using an airbrush to apply the black HoC paint? Any other techniques you can share with us as you continue your work in progress? ..for example, what did you do to prep the figure for paint?

Nice work so far!

12. SonOfNemesis

Thanks!

Sanding and thorough cleaning with the use of lacquer paint is mainly how I go about ball joints. One way of doing that is to spread a tiny bit of lacquer thinner around the joint and while it's still wet, shoot it with your color of choice lacquer paint. The lacquer thinner breaks down the plastic and ends up pretty much fusing with the paint which creates a very strong painted surface on the ball joint. There are other methods as well that I use but this one is pretty dang good.

I use mainly an airbrush for HOK paints, but I also use colorplace spray enamel which is rugged stuff as well. I would urge many customizers to go out a buy a can of colorplace enamel and spray a practice piece with it and then test its durability after it cures, the results are very nice and I personally think 'hands down' it's superior to krylon fusion.

The biggest preparation I could say is to thoroughly clean the figure. I basically spray the whole thing down with windex and then spread the windex all over the figure. I rinse it off in hot water and then let it air dry for a couple hours. It makes the surface very, very clean. I hardly ever sand down figures any more EXCEPT when I sand down rub spots. After I paint the figure, I just let it cure for a few days before I even try to transform it. One more thing, I cancel out all of the rub spots before it even gets primed and I do a spot spray and check method for that.

Hope this helps!

13. Nyarlahotep

Nyarlahotep Radicon Scourge

Ebay:
    Thanks for the tips! Up to this point I've been soaking my figures in rubbing alcohol but sometimes it takes a few days to really start stripping the paint. I'll give the windex a shot and definitely try your approach to the ball joint issue.

Thanks for taking the time to share your knowledge! It is very much appreciated.

14. SonOfNemesis

The windex won't strip the paint though, it only washes the figure. I still either sand down unwanted stock paint decal apps (320 grit first, then 600, then 2000) or I also use the alcohol for that.