Customs: Work-In-Progress Prefix/Sub-forum

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by project9, Jun 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. project9

project9 White n' Nerdy

Hey almighty mods! What would it take to have a WIP prefix or sub-forum added to the Radicon Customs area? It seems that there is a need for this to separate them from finished customs. Case in point: http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/radicons-customs/413694-does-you-know-starscream-wip.html#post6142036

As many folks, I love seeing WIP threads as they 1) spur some good ideas for others, 2) are interesting to see some unique takes on some of the same formulas and 3) are just nice to see some great artists at work versus just the final 'product'.

However, I agree partially with what NP said above in that they take a lot of the focus under the regular forum. To be honest, I never visit the main forum page - I use the RSS feed to see when new things are posted and follow just the threads I like. It's way too much trying to view the forum straight out. And because of that, I probably miss some good stuff.

Overall, I'd love a sorting system that also includes the character of the custom and some of the characters of the components. That way, I could pull up all customs based on Classic Bumbleebee or WfC Megatron. I know the search function would return most/all of those (as well as a bunch of irrelevant ones) but it would be cool to have them sortable like the Galleries here are - since not many customs are submitted to those anymore. But that requires more work by the poster and I'm sure most people wouldn't spend the extra time to enter that since they're just posting to advertise the fact it's on eBay. =(

Just my 2 or 4 cents!

2. Nemesis Predaking

Nemesis Predaking Offical Enforcer WTF@TFW Veteran

News Credits:
    We use to have things set up like that when the Radicons was it's own "mini forum" from TFW.
    The problem was very few people actually used it that way & instead just viewed things via the button to view as you see it now.
    If I recall right, that system was totally different from what TFW is based off of (VBulletin) & wasn't really meant to support the Radicons in long term manner.
    Also if I recall right, there is no real way to set up something like that outside of the prefix system already in place.
    But a WIP Prefix would be nice.

3. Zildjian

Zildjian Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yes, yes, yes!!!

4. Megatron31

Megatron31 I Belong to Nobody! TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    i just see a lot more threads coming from this change
    (per the last time it was brought up and ended with even more posts)

one for WIP and another for the finished piece

i get it and it bothers me too but just dont open the thread if you arent interested

5. project9

project9 White n' Nerdy

Didn't Radicons start outside of TFW, like on freeboards or whatever those old school BBS sites were called? On a side note, radicons.com is pointing to an old page here before the system change.

But vB supports sub-forums, doesn't it?
    [​IMG]

I'm not sure why the Radicons section can't have sub-forums...
    [​IMG]

But at a minimum, I think a WIP prefix would be a welcome addition.

Attached Files:

• vb.jpg
      vb.jpg
      File size:
      41.6 KB
      Views:
    • vb2.jpg
      vb2.jpg
      File size:
      62.6 KB
      Views:
  6. Nemesis Predaking

Nemesis Predaking Offical Enforcer WTF@TFW Veteran

News Credits:
    ^ I don't know, I'm recalling from over 1&1/2 years ago.
    I'm most likely recalling things wrong.

7. Solrac333

Solrac333 G1 got it right!

Ebay:
    To be honest, I skip 99% of WIP threads. I just don't care for them at all. I even tried posting WIP's myself. Didn't care for it. But when I see half of the first page is WIP's, I just skip the whole thing. Don't want to see a new lego piece attached to a TF figure. Also don't want to comment since I would have nothing positive to say about that.

A WIP section would be a great idea.

8. aprim

aprim Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I totally agree, a WIP section would be great.

9. nellie131

nellie131 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yes please I would beg a mod to do this! The said pos that was mentioned in the first post is from many many WIP threads that just clog up the forum.a separate WIP forum from the one from finished pieces would just be a dream!

10. project9

project9 White n' Nerdy

I gotcha. I'm trying to remember like 5-6 years ago. hah! I joined here in 2006 when Transtopia was closing down, so I wasn't part of the original incarnation of the Radicons but I vaguely remember reading stuff about how it started. I'd have to reread Tony's thread about the site change to see what he may have mentioned about sub-forums versus prefixes which is what you're talking about.

Many of the experienced & talented artists, such as yourself, don't post WIPs. I think they're mainly us mediocre folks who need either help or like hearing people's thoughts or just want to share their idea and process before it's done. =)

I think folks like you (and Zildjian, FR and a dozen others I could list) already have clear visions on what you're doing and - as Nike says - you just do it. You don't need to spend the time to post the process - we'll see the final piece soon enough. =)

The scene has also changed a lot over the past 2-3 years and there's not as much sharing as there used to be, it seems. I don't know if that's because it's already been done or said at some point over the years and it doesn't need to be done again, or if it's just because some folks are just trying to make a couple extra bucks (which I've done once or twice) or to merely show off (no offense to anyone!). Some WIPs are just teasers now while they used to be almost like mini tutorials as we watched the progress. But with the majority of them just being us trying to share our thoughts, as mundane as some of them might be, I can see why a lot of people prefer to skip them. =) Which is why I brought up the topic.

11. Jbarb78

Jbarb78 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I agree with most of what is said here, WIP threads are becoming ubiquitous and half the time are re-hashing an old idea, with only minor or no changes. They clutter the forum with partially finished projects that frankly, aren't all that interesting. It leaves no room for creativity in my opinion, just more people jumping off someone else's ideas and cranking out the same customs over and over. Whatever happened to just creating your own custom, and leaving people to use their imagination and their own creative juices to flow? Seems counter-productive in my eye, but that's just my 2 cents.

12. frenzyrumble

frenzyrumble Banned

News Credits:
    for sure. At the minimum, a "WIP" prefix the author can add to their thread, rather than adding that into the title. Often times, artists update their WIP thread with the finished product, and in many cases it gets missed. Would be optimal to make it so that the poster can then change the prefix to the finished (proper) category.

13. Joe Moore

Joe Moore Is Not Jim... Administrator

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    We understand the desire to have a WIP prefix or sub-forum. Right now, there's a lot on the plate. Botcon is just over, SDCC and the 3rd Movie are coming up. So basically, we have a lot of stuff occupying the time that would go to any forum changes.

In the future, when there's more time to dedicate to this type of stuff, it will be addressed internally on how to best proceed. For right now, we just ask you folks to hang tight and keep doing what you do best...Be creative. Thanks for the feedback and the enthusiasm.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.