Won't anyone think of the children?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by MisterFanwank, Nov 7, 2011.

1. exomega255

exomega255 Emerald Green

News Credits:
    Why? You only need one hand for the figure to play with their "light saber" :p 

2. Auto Morph

Auto Morph Gimmick Bot

Three good points that underline exactly the type of attitude I was getting at.

Another good one is when people complain about stores stocking 'too many' movies toys and 'not enough' classics-style figures. Well guess what's selling folks!

3. Foster

Foster Haslab Victory Saber Backer #3 Veteran

News Credits:
    Truth. I SPECIFICALLY remember not giving a tin shit about the Throttlebots' articulation. All I cared about was if I could get Goldbug's motor running fast enough to knock over Bruticus. :lol 

4. Alucard77

Alucard77 Kaon Gladiator Champion

News Credits:
    Some shelves in my local area could also be identified as what doesn't sell folks.

5. Boy Blunder

Boy Blunder Terrorcon King

This is sig-worthy, and also highlights what EVERYONE needs to keep in mind about TFs - that this kind of memory is what the lines will always produce for each new generation of children, and that we are very lucky to be able to support Hasbro's efforts to keep these memories going strong for more than 25 years now.

6. Auto Morph

Auto Morph Gimmick Bot

Maybe so, but that would be because stores bought all that stock. And just because it's on the the shelves, doesn't mean it isn't selling.

7. megatroptimus

megatroptimus Untitled

News Credits:
    We're talking about manly Transformers here, not SW dolls.

:p 

8. Alucard77

News Credits:
    Right. To Hasbro, it's selling great, but because some store buyer assumed it will sell well so they bought Hasbro out.

It would be good to do an experiment. Go into TRU for instance and make a tally of what they have on the shelf. For 1 month go back in and see if the numbers change. You can also check rear stock to see if the numbers decreased or if they are being restocked.

In some of my local stores, I know exactly what they have in stock. Hasn't changed in months. I asked a sales guy about it, and he said, they haven't restocked a shelf since the movie ended.

9. Wingnut

Wingnut Stayin' Alive!

Ebay:
    I will say one thing about the lack of articulaton of old SW figures. They made you have to use your imagination more. Yes Han Solo's arm is in a perpetual right angle but my mind's eye made up for that. That being said would I still want the old 5pt articulation piece of plastic to the new ultra-articulated version? Heck no! But that's me.

10. MisterFanwank

MisterFanwank Banned

News Credits:
    The only way to get a handle on how much product is moving in a store is to count it, mark it, and do that each day from the beginning of the line to the end of the line.

11. Bountyan

Bountyan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Because everyone is greedy in some shape or form. It's a part of human nature.

12. Auto Morph

Auto Morph Gimmick Bot

But you'd still only get a statistic based on one individual store. I guess the only way we will ever know for sure what is being bought and in what quantities is to see Hasbro's reports.
    I guess the point I'm trying to make is 'Hasbro knows what they're doing'. Sometimes we might like it, sometimes not so much, but overall they are getting it right. Individual experiences notwithstanding, whatever the national and global situation is, it's like that because kids made it so (maybe with a little marketing influence from hasbro :p ).

13. MisterFanwank

MisterFanwank Banned

News Credits:
    ^ Y'know, we could do a multi-store, multi-state wide statistical run on the Prime toys. That could give us some insight.

14. Alucard77

News Credits:
    Well Hasbro has little to do with it. Hasbro is smart.

Make a movie, make figures for the movie. Make figures available for sale to stores for the movie figures.

Let stores decide if they want to buy said figures or not.

Stores of course go nuts and buy buy buy. This was already established and confirmed as the reason for poor distribution on the RTS Wave 2 line.

If it was up to Hasbro they would love if both lines were bought like gangbusters. So blame the purchasers, not the sellers.

15. Astronut

Astronut Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    actually, that's true to humans in general.
    go to ANY forum dedicated to one specific thing (a game, a console, a music genre, a sport, an entertainment company etc) and you will have tons of people who feel entitled to what they want. and they are always the minority compared to the number of customers/fans that exist.
    Has nothing to do with transformer fans other than the fact that we're all human.

16. Snake_eyes1975

Snake_eyes1975 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    LOL...aaahhh...the good old days. That right there is straight up kid thought. In my mind I try to take a serious approach to what I like as an adult collector, and what I thought was great as a kid.

Unfortunatly, the things that worked for me as a kid, are NO LONGER RELEVANT, because everything has changed so much. Im realistic, I have lil kids now, so my most valuable perspective is what I see my boy play with, and it happens to be the stuff ALOT of people complain about. He LOVES his PCC. LOVES EM. he loves cyberverse. He is almost 4 now and still LOVES his gravity bots, but shows absolutly no interest in the new "preschool" lines like the go-bots or activator types clogging shelves.

When I was a kid, I LOOOoooved my Metroplex, and trypticon. I LOVED the walking features of tryp and Omega. I used to LOVE the rolling battle base of Metro plex, but now, I look at it and think its pretty dumb. I realize as an adult, I just cant grab that childhood imagination like I used to.

Now I like realistic looking stuff. I wont drop a dime on anything TFP except a few cyberverse things. looks too cartoony. I have a ton of TFP and G1 episodes on the DVR, and guess what? my boy has Zero to no interest in TFP (I love the show, hate the toys) but He LOVES the old G1 episodes...

Go figure..

17. Alucard77

News Credits:
    When my 2 1/2 year old son says to me, Daddy, I want the IPad, I can tell you that I know what he is thinking, and it scares me.

When he uses it better then my wife, it really scares me.

18. MisterFanwank

MisterFanwank Banned

News Credits:
    ^ Scares you? Why?

19. Alucard77

News Credits:
    Well, shit, as a 2 year old, he knows how to use an ipad. That is kinda scary. Literally kids are born with a knowledge of technology at birth. Just get a vision of him texting me at the dinner table. Scary.

As for my wife, she is in her 30's, and if she cannot figure it out, it worries me for the exact opposite reason. LOL.

Best thing is when she is like, "Ed how do I get to the Thomas app." All the sudden my son is like, "Mommy, I show you!".....

20. Boy Blunder

Boy Blunder Terrorcon King

That's funny. My friend's daughter knows how to use his iPhone so well, he has to supervise her, because otherwise she'll use the Marvel app to buy Spider-Man comics on daddy's dime :lol