Won't anyone think of the children?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by MisterFanwank, Nov 7, 2011.

1. MisterFanwank

MisterFanwank Toy Industry Analyst

News Credits:
    Quote from the Simpsons aside, I have to ask:

Why is it that so many people here forget that the major demographic for Transformers is children? Hasbro will typically make its decisions based on what children want, not on what we want. Even considering its core demographic, Hasbro STILL does a lot to make us happy. They produce CHUGSTORM figures, they bring over the MP figures,they created Botcon and license exclusives that they don't think would sell in the larger market.

So why are so many people so damned ungrateful? Hasbro does more for us than it has to do. I'm not saying we ought to kiss Hasbro's feet, I'm just sick of seeing threads with people bitching at Hasbro because it's not doing what they want.

Of COURSE Hasbro won't do everything we want! It has different concerns than fanwankery. It's a toy company and they'd be insane to listen to our petty wants and demands.

So I ask again: Won't anyone think of the children?

2. exomega255

exomega255 Emerald Green

News Credits:
    Because no one can please everyone?

Being on this forum longer than I have, I am sure you can tell that people bitch about any and every thing. Nothing new to the world. Human Nature at its finest.

3. knoted

knoted Resistor Transistor

News Credits:
    I'm pretty happy with the ROTF & DOTM lines : and THAT is what Hasbro's been aiming at kids as well.

Of course, lots of people who whine all the time these lines stand their favs in the way.

4. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP AKA Beve Stuscemi

News Credits:
    Because Transformers fans are by and large outrageously selfish and don't give a damn about anything outside what they want.

5. Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh Mostly Harmless

News Credits:
    Also by virtue of being TRUE FANS we all innately know more about the toy industry, product placement, what sells and what doesn't, and what THE FANDOM TRULY WANTS than Hasbro, a successful company based entirely on selling toys to children.

Our asses are also equipped with generators that endlessly produce market numbers, percentage of sales and other entirely fictional numbers and factoids.

6. MisterFanwank

News Credits:
    @Split Lip: Agreed. I'm hoping that one or two people will read this and take the message to heart. Any good I can do to get people to realize this I consider a victory.

7. Maverick Hunter Christian

Maverick Hunter Christian Choke on that, causality!

News Credits:
    Because an internet forum where folks talk at each other about transforming space robot toys is a very insular environment and we're not often exposed to an outside perspective.

Plus, for a variety of reasons; you find a lot of folks simply aren't capable of seeing beyond their own experience.

8. Alucard77

Alucard77 Kaon Gladiator Champion

News Credits:
    Well in all honesty, people take these boards way to seriously anyway.

Sometimes people vent on things on boards. But then there are people who have to 100% exact, then it turns it into flame wars.

Hasbro like any other company does whatever they think is correct. People on the other hand have a right to say Hasbro is wrong as well. Most things are opinions, but it seems that most people cannot take an opinion at face value and take it personally.

Like Exomega and myself, we disagree a lot. But we get along just fine. We have never made it personal against each other and things lead to interesting and en lighting discussions.

So on topic, yes Hasbro makes things for kids, and yes they are correct. But people also have a right to state their opinion.

9. x BlackMagnus x

x BlackMagnus x Is not impressed

News Credits:
    Entitlement, plain and simple.

10. SwindlesShop

SwindlesShop Kenny Power's drug dealer

News Credits:
    Cause idgaf about children :) 

11. MisterFanwank

News Credits:
    @Swindlesshop: Irrelevant. The point is that Hasbro has concerns other than our wants and needs.

Oh, I know they have a right to state their opinion. I just wish their opinions were worth seeing all the damn time.

12. Megatron31

Megatron31 I Belong to Nobody!

Ebay:

truth
    collectors are at best narcissistic manchildren,

even i have noticed myself complaining about things that are all in all triveal

i got mad at how simplified some of the DTOM toys felt compaired to the ROTF figs (with their complex transformations leader class prime) but then i think of how hard it was for me to transform leader prime the first time, it took me nearly 45 minutes. can't imagine the level of frustration a kid would feel with that monster let alone some of the other figures from that line

im sure hasbro got some complaints about the complexity of transformation which is why we have some simpler ones now but if that lets them make a killing and dump money into other lines , hey im okay with it.

just gives a leader megatron hahaha

13. Alucard77

News Credits:
    I hear you, I am guilty of starting BBTS and MP threads myself.

Just look at this way though, you can always ignore the threads. It may get annoying, but the conclusion I came to is that there are SO many members on here, no one is going to see eye to eye. So there will always be something that gets you upset.

We just have to stay with the toys and take enjoyment for them. I personally think that when people write, give me *** in classics scale now is a bad thing. They are passionate about it.

14. Snake_eyes1975

Snake_eyes1975 Peace through Tyranny!!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Sig-able quote!!

15. Megatron31

Megatron31 I Belong to Nobody!

Ebay:
    you also have to choose your platforms (or battles)

not every thread we peek into requires a response

that is something i have learned especially in the news and rumor section, there are some very opinionated people in there and they let you know when they dont like what you have to say

16. The Dark Seeker

The Dark Seeker Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Fixed :tongue: 

And that couldn't be more true. People somehow still believe that "the customer is always right" when in recent years, more and more people are realizing that it not true at all. Companies have their own "mission" for profit, but somehow its the "customers" that think their "mission" should encompass every aspect of his or her own selfish desire. Some idio......people will go as far as to try to belittle an employee of said company by saying "I pay your paycheck!" (though I could argue against that, I really don't want to get into a semantics discussion about such stupidity right now).

I find this kind of selfishness rather pathetic.

17. Alucard77

News Credits:
    There is a balance. I think you need to listen to what the customer is saying and give them something that they didn't even know they wanted.

We use the minivan example at my job all the time. Noone said they wanted a minivan, but there were a lot of points that made Chrysler create the minivan.

Not sure if that works so much for TFers, but that is why I love 3rd party companies. They fill that void to a certain degree.

18. indie

indie Guns! More guns!

i think many children who're into transformers actually collect them, not see them as another crash-into-each-other robot toys. Lets face it, most transformers today are quite complex figures with many little moving parts that detaches quite easily. If a teenager specifically wants a transformers figure, i think we can assume that he/she likes transformers as a merchandise and hobby like us, not because it's another doll to play with. and for below that age, there're activators, FABs, cyberverse kinda stuff.

Generally speaking, kids don't buy stuff, parents buy for them. If you put a Leader Bumblebee on a shelf, kids will ask their parents to buy it and we (at least i) won't. if you put a Leader Blackout on there, you can bet kids will want it too as we also would.

Transformers are not quite the cheapest toys compared to other things in the market, and it'a safe to assume that even kids who likes them (the future us) have at least some level of collector's sense in them.

Don't blame us blaming Hasbro for some stuff, blame those idiots who blames hasbro because their five-year-olds broke a Leader Sentinel in 10 minutes. Yeah, i'm talking about those Amazon.com comments.

19. MisterFanwank

News Credits:
    I agree people SHOULD complain if there's a legitimate problem, like a figure being terrible or a figure never showing up at retail. We can serve a useful function by acting like one extremely large focus group.

20. exomega255

exomega255 Emerald Green

News Credits:
    key word is legitimate, which also, no one agrees on what should be a complain because each person has a different level of tolerance.