wondering why i belong to tfcc

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by phantomfharlock, Aug 4, 2008.

1. phantomfharlock

phantomfharlock Well-Known Member

Ok, so i just got the Fan club newsletter in the mail Saturday. As usual, the magazine is a flimsy little thing. this is supposed to be "the fiction issue?" and yet theres like one page of fiction in it

Features included
    • Interview with Marty Isenberg
      This was interesting? but this very site did a more extensive interview- and i dare say a better one and it ran the day before tfcc got to me.
    • One page "Dungeons and Dinobots" story (to be continued "this fall" on website) remember- this is the fiction issue.
    • Bios for characters that will be in the comic to come with collector club nightbeat, so basically a really creative ad for their exclusive
    • bios for Transtech Cheetor and Shockwave
    • the latest installment of the story of the club combiners

and i thought to myself that we pay a pretty hefty chunk to ... what? get this 6 times a year? Wheres the content? Once a year we get a couple of exclusive photos and then they wind up on the net the next day.

Yeah we get the ability to buy stuff from the club store? but Hasbrotoyshop offers 95% of the same stuff. We get access to the boards- but i think this or seibertron or other leading websites are a better online community...

why do we pay $40.00 or whatever a year for club membership? the toy?

Its not like the website really works, or the exclusives are on time (werent seacons and nightbeat supposed to be ready for botcon?)

So I guess i ask fandom assembled? why if you're a member? are you a member? If not? Why not? Because right now that last combiner piece is the only thing i can see getting me to renew next year, and even that'll be ebaygrabble for 25.00 after a month or two,

thx for listening.

2. Batman

Batman The Dark Knight TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I agree with you. Thats why I never joined (it's $65 I think for us canucks). It just seems like we get next to nothing for our money.

3. Crimson Primus

Crimson Primus Deceptinut

I am not rejoining for that very reason...

Too me, being a member would entail frequent discounts on various toys since usually a paying member would also be know to frequently buy their toys.But this was never the case...so in my opinion...the rewards are pretty lame for the price of admission.

and in all honesty....the net is better then their newsletter could ever be. Pretty much nothing is sacred anymore.

4. DeathStorm

DeathStorm Snoochie Boochies

News Credits:
    Back when I was collecting all things TF, the site never had any toys I liked, and those that I was interested in I always got from TRU or Hasbro.

The exclusives, IMHO, aren't worth the price of admission. You're getting cheap Energon characters that could be $10 or less if they were released to mass retail and you got the Classics Astrotrain design, a PoS that I'm sorry I ever touched.

Additionally, if you aren't into all things TF related (which I'm not now), it negates half of the already thinning newsletter.

I'm much happier sticking with G1s and Classics and not even giving the TFCC a second thought. Not even the Seacons impressed me, and those have been the first TFCC exclusive figs I've been remotely interested in.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2008
  5. Optimus Sledge

Optimus Sledge Yar har fiddle di dee

I'm not a member, pretty much for the reasons you list. Problem is, in this day and age it's very difficult for print media to produce news that an internet-savvy person doesn't already have. They'd really be better off finding some people with interesting opinions on TFs and paying them to right columns than trying to keep up with the news.

The other problem is that I've got very little interest in the club exclusive toys, and I'm not likely to get to Botcon anytime soon, so none of the discounts club membership gives are of use to me.

6. luke4

luke4 crocon

its $70 for canadians and i wouldnt care for first class, if there was an option for canadian third class.

i only want to join for the exculives but i doubt my parents would want me buying thoses if they wont let me join.

7. Macross7

Macross7 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I was a member the year Botcon had the seekers. The only reason I joined was that joining got a discount on Botcon. Of course the discount = the savings so I was paying the same amount anyways. Might as well join to get the magazine & Energon combiner for free. I didn't renew the membership.

8. G.B. Blackrock

G.B. Blackrock Autobot Ally

News Credits:
    Matter of interpretation. Allow me to demonstrate.
    A person in charge of TF: Animated. Hence, an interview with a guy behind TF fiction.
    A page of fiction.
    All of this is fiction. It gives backstory for the characters.
    Also, very explicitly, fiction. Granted, this is fiction that we get every month.

This month's magazine was pretty much ALL about the fiction. That is to say, either fiction itself, or articles about or in support of fiction, as opposed to, say, about the toys themselves (which we usually get quite a bit of, either in terms of pictures or articles about the design or history of the toys).

Your other arguments may or may not have merit. I won't discuss those here. But the idea that this issue had only one page of fiction in it simply had to be addressed.

9. bhaalistik

bhaalistik Shockwave's Love-child

Yep. that was my take as well....40 bux just for the privilege to buy an exclusive toy? No thanks.

10. Star Sabre James

Star Sabre James <b>The JUICE</b> TFW2005 Supporter

I am a member of the club. I go to Botcon, so I like the discount, and the extra toy is just an added bonus.

11. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Sorcerer

News Credits:
    In all honesty, I've been disapointed in the membership, getting the Iacon package is the only reason I've joined the club (Which I did 2 years out of the last 4.) Other then that, I don't see the reason to be a member personally, which is why I let the membership lapse twice now. I'll become a member again if I get a future Iacon package or whatever, but otherwise, nope.

If we got the actual issue every month instead of the crappy want ads every month with the real newsletter every other month and it was a bit beefier, with more unique content, then it would certainly be a better "bargain". Content like a complete comic story, or the periodically released text stories, or a letters section where Hasbro would respond to selected questions year round, or perhaps a fictional letter department, where you could write to a character and once a character has enough suitable letters, that character would "respond" to the letters in a special, or a section about "undocumented features", or many of those and more, then I'd feel it was closer to being worth the fees.

But as it is, no. Most of the interviews aren't compelling enough for me to read and I usually skipped right over them, the news sections tends to be old news more often then not, and the rest of the content was so sparse that it really felt overinflated for the price. Very few pages of enjoyable content every other month can't justify the price tag for me. Even the combiner piece doesn't make it worthwhile. I never bought from the club store, nor even felt it was a good deal, and the exclusives, again, IMHO, are quite overpriced. I don't expect the exclusives to be the same as retail and I know all that about production runs but still, they're overpriced.

12. Grimlocka go-go

Grimlocka go-go Back from the Dead TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I feel sorry for my bruders up norf, but I got a lot out of my membership, my discounts for my botcon sets that equaled more off then the cost of my membership, a free fig, discounts on some of the bots that i bought from the website, SOON to be discount on the seacons and nightbeat that i'm gonna buy, and a nifty little newsletter, that while not perfect, is better than nothing, and definatly not the sole reason i joined.

If the newsletter is the big selling point for you, they yes you probably will be dissipointed, but for me there's a heck of a lot more to it then that. It's all in what you want it for i guess.

13. beloth

beloth Banned

reasons for joining...

1. you get a "free" transformer..sometimes cool...sometimes lame....

2. LOTS and LOTS of quality fish wrappers......

I love fish wrappers.....

LOVE LOVE fish wrappers....

*sarcasm intended*

this will be my last year...i intend to finish the combiner set since i am stuck with 4 of the 5 members...then that is probably it unless they come up with a really convincing set of free robots...i definitely do not enjoy the newsletter/fish wrapper in anyway.

14. phantomfharlock

phantomfharlock Well-Known Member

followup

To GB Blackrock:

Now my brain's still a lil' fuzzy but isn't, by an extension of the logic you tossed out at me, EVERY issue a issue about "fiction", really? thats sort of weak sauce.

I may not watch the news but these transforming robot creatures never came to My earth yet.

Many issues lately have had people interviewed that had a link to the cartoons creative side, the comic's a staple (that eventually comes out in trade for the general public so thats not really content I cant get anywhere) and it seems that theres been plenty of profiles of characters in these pages before.

Now, As you're someone who has edited those profiles for the club and has for wont of a better term a "link" to them, (i appreciate your defending them. i didnt say they were bad profiles. )

But the idea that this issue was about fiction while others may be about nonfiction simply had to be addressed.

That said where would you discuss any other "arguments" I might have had? If you're a steward, defend the ship? (and i'm really not trying to attack you personally here)

I ask this (not just to you gb, but really to any in keyboard range) because i could see a GREAT magazine out of this. Something to make me in turn be a steward of my TF-collecting hobby to others. It being wrapped in fish-paper filled with the same old stale ads month in and out is perhaps a bad start with packaging following presentation.

i mean who's the audience for this magazine?

This is certainly not something "for the kids" despite the tfcc getting an ad on toy packaging, and as someone else pointed out- special con memberships pretty much equal what you paid in membership to the club so it all works out. If you go to the cons.

Its a collector thing. and there seems to be 25 years of collecting that this club can touch on- in so many arenas from the customizing to the toy-rooms- to the fictions to talks with so many tf related people etc.

And TF-fans are among the most creative in the world! why is the layout and design mostly stuck in a highschool print shop, captured in 2column purgatory? its not enticing to read. (Certainly at 40 bucks a head theres gotta be money for a copy of indesign in texas?)

i should be able to use the website for a lot of things too. like con registration.

as a tfcc member? I should be buying or know that all the best new stuff comes from the club- not from HasbroToyShop. it's endorsed by hasbro, no? Why does hasbro leave you out in the wind? Or does the fanclub maybe not Need to do anything more than as is?

If nothing else I'm glad to see that i'm not crazy. it seems theres others here who agree with me. I'm not trying to destroy the club. But it does seem a little pricey for the physical artifacts we get, and the access we see.

No?

15. Hybrid Prime

Hybrid Prime Banned

I totally agree with this guy.

16. Trek

Trek Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    If you want the exclusives and/or go to Botcon/ get the Botcon non-attending package, membership is worth it. Otherwise it's not.

It's that simple.

17. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Other than the grading curve being thrown off for non-US members, I agree completely.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2008
  18. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    Pros:
    -The toys are nice.

Cons:
    -The magazine is largely a waste of time ("Fiction" issue? Oh God.), and seems to cost WAY too much to send overseas.
    -The Botcon discount for an overseas member is utterly negated by the price hike for membership.
    -The aforementioned ludicrous price hike.

19. Trailbreaker77

Trailbreaker77 Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Make that two of us.

20. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

Cant wait for TFW magainze to start printing. What?