wondering about starting to collect TF

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Biboset, Dec 3, 2006.

1. Biboset

Biboset Member

I'm new here and I just rediscovered Transformers, I used to have at least 70 transformers G1 from prime to Omega and the rest of the gang...since I was collection Star Wars (and still collecting SW) I made a mistake...I trade my TF for some Star Wars like a vintage Imperial Shuttle... I have all the dvd of the Transformers, soem friends gave me his TF found some in flea market around..and I'm starting to wonder is it too late to collect TF since they are not cheap on Ebay...

2. Nevermore

Nevermore It's self-perpetuating a parahumanoidarianised!

News Credits:
    HOT NEWS! Stop the presses!

3. Fairy Princess

Fairy Princess Banned

This is news?

4. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    one of us!

5. Transbot90210

Transbot90210 Banned

News Credits:
    He shall be called 18 of 42

Thanx
    Transbot90210

6. Boardwise

Boardwise is scary - Sig Killer - M Super Mod

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I've moved this to Toyark as it's more suited to here.

It's never to late to pick up collecting Transformers again.
    Some figures can be expensive on eBay, though it varies if you wish to get them in box or loose.
    Later series (the ones after Generation 1) can be picked up cheaper.
    And I would recommend having a look into the new Classics line that has been released as you'll find some old faces but with new styles.

If you need any further assistance, try posting in TFGD and Toyark area's of this board and someone will no doubt help.
    And welcome to the boards.

Stop being an ass.

7. Blunticon

Blunticon The Oddjob

Yeah man! Jump right in and start collecting.

8. WhiteMocha

WhiteMocha TFW2005 Supporter

I just started collecting Transformers myself about a year and a half ago. I would say "started again," since I had so many as a kid that I got rid of, but I don't think I really thought of it as "collecting" when I was that age. Anyway, as another newly-invigorated collector, I have to say two things. First, welcome! Second, be careful! Because man, it can get really expensive really fast. And it can be a slippery slope. You start collecting one line, with the intention of limiting yourself ONLY to that line, but then you notice a cool figure or two in another line, and suddenly before you know it you have an endless list of "wants." Me, I started with just G1 and Binaltechs, but soon realized that a lot had been released in the twenty years or so since I last played with Transformers. And there were some real gems in that time span, too. In under two years I've amassed almost 300 Transformers.... now I feel I have a good "base" collection and can slow down. But it is expensive, and can be addictive.

Anyhow, it sounds like you're not new to collecting, only to collecting Transformers. So you probably know all this already. Anyway, to answer your question, nope, it's not too late at all. Actually I think we're in a bit of a Transformers renaissance right now, because those of us who loved them as kids are now salaried adults with income to spend on little collectible bits of their childhood. That factor motivated the upcoming Transformers live-action movie, and and also a huge selection of collector-oriented items (for real collector-nostalgia bliss, check out the Masterpiece lines, Binaltech/Alternator line, the Classics line, the Hasbro/Takara reissue series, and the e-Hobby exclusive recolors).

Anyway, if you decide to start, have fun! I hope you stick aroud this board. It is a fun community, and has been an immense resource to me as a newbie. People here are nice, scarily well-informed, and always quick to offer friendly advice.

9. fschuler

fschuler Member TFW2005 Supporter

Never too late to go to the dark side, dude. I've been a fan for a long time, and an avid collector for about 7 years now...it just costs $$ to enter the club, you know? All depends, though, on what you want and in what condition. Most of my G1 stuff is in OK condition and half incomplete, which keeps costs down and still allows me to get a decent fig that I like.

10. CdnShockwave

CdnShockwave The Prince of Poses TFW2005 Supporter

Join us... it's... bliss...

11. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

It's never too late but those exclusives will kill ya.

MISB G1, Japanese G1 or Diaclone is the holy grail of it all

12. JinraiPrime

JinraiPrime 1000+ Post Club Member

Never too late to start.... i bought a little over 300 TFs in 4 months, ive slowed down since then but yeah, go nuts..... just dont go broke.

13. tranzfan

tranzfan Well-Known Member

I started out just like you. I sold some of my childhood Transformers to help fund my vintage Star Wars collection. I then found out about some of the Takara reissues in late 2001. My first reissue was New Years Prime which I pre ordered as soon as I found out about him. That was where I originally was going to stop. Since he was one of my favorite toys as a child. Then Hasbro did their reissues, so I started collecting the ones I wanted of those while still being pretty picky. Then they started going on clearance, so I picked up the rest I missed on. I for the most part was going to ignore the rest of the Takara bookstyle reissue when they came out except I had to pick up Megatron and Soundwave. Needless to say I have picked up quite a few of those now too. As you can see from my story it can become quite addicting. I am suffering from withdrawals with the Takara drought this year. I keep hoping we'll hear some news about the next reissue anytime now.

14. BowB4Prime

BowB4Prime arse dimples

of course collecting transformers rocks, im on my second collection, and tho i have spent a pretty bit of money, i am happy with it, but be careful it can get you by the boo boo and become addictive

15. LadyStarscream

LadyStarscream Queen of Cybertron

There are also a lot of reissues from both Hasbro and Takara that might be more friendly to your wallet, that's what got me collecting again.

16. Triformis

Triformis Insecticon Fanatic TFW2005 Supporter

Look for the bargains! E-bay lots are a good place to start if you're not too concerned with condition. Also, garage sales and flea markets often yield nice finds for crazy prices!

17. jourdo

jourdo TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    Get out while you still can!!!!

No... seriously, never too late to start. eBay does have some deals (as said above), you just have to be patient and wait for them. I have found the newer stuff (ie. stuff in retail) is starting to eclipse the original stuff. I like this stuff way more and my G1 stuff just doesn't look as good compared to it.

So... umm.. yeah... drop that nerdy star wars stuff and join the cool kids!

18. BowB4Prime

BowB4Prime arse dimples

:lolol 

19. Star Sabre James

Star Sabre James <b>The JUICE</b> TFW2005 Supporter

20. Razerwire

Razerwire 99 Problems... Super Mod

News Credits:
    Especially when you have a significant other who buys them for you as gifts!:p