WonderCon...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Razerwire, Feb 12, 2006.

1. Razerwire

Razerwire 99 Problems... Super Mod

News Credits:
    Decent panels this year, although personally I liked last year's lineup better...

Panels I saw:

Kevin Smith: HILARIOUS as usual... Saw an exclusive clip of Clerks II and it didn't disappoint...

Cars: I dunno... I think this is going to be the first Pixar movie I won't be eager to watch...

Silent Hill: the exclusive clip was GRUESOME... For you fans of the game, I don't think this will disappoint...

Superman Returns: the dude playing Clark showed up... Good kid... Bryan Singer needs to work on his Q&A skills though... He looked like a nervous wreck up on stage... They didn't show a special clip either... But they did bring up some interesting points about the movie though... Like what happened to Lois...

V for Vendetta: this will be the movie that I am most anticipating for...

All in all, an okay day of panels... Like I said, this year's wasn't as good as last years... But who could beat a lineup of Batman Begins, Hitchhiker's Guide, Fantastic Four, Star Wars Ep. III???

2. Gears

Gears buh-buh-body ya Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Can you please tell us more about the "Superman Returns" discussion, Razerwire old buddy?

3. Razerwire

News Credits:
    Well I can, but I'd probably risk some spoilers for those who haven't seen the trailer... But here are some tidbits that some might already know...

***SPOILER ALERT!!!***

Clark leaves Metropolis to get a grip on his reason d'etre so to speak... While he's away, Lois gets engaged and has a baby with some other dude...

Basically Springer's approach was this:

How do you affect a man who is pretty much invincible to everything by Krypton??? Take away his most beloved love interest...

So it'll be interesting to see how Superman will react dealing with the fact that he's got the world's most thankless job and in the meantime have his love interest get engaged with some other schmuck and have a kid with him...

There are talks of the sequel but no story and no villain...

As far as the costume, they went with a smaller "S" on the chest because they didn't want it to be taking away from the actor's physique...

4. Gears

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Interesting...did they hint as to whether there would be any villains in the movie besides Luthor?

5. Razerwire

News Credits:
    Nope... But they did mention that Kevin Spacey's Lex is more seething while maintaining a dry sense of humor...

6. Gears

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Thanks for the info RW. If you remember any more tidbits feel free to through them out there.:thumb 

7. Razerwire

News Credits:
    Ummm... Would the guy playing Cyclops in the X-Men movies being Lois' love interest be a tidbit??? Cuz it's him... :thumb 

8. Gears

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Ahh I did not know that!

9. Dragonclaw

Dragonclaw Comic Ink - Dublin, CA

News Credits:
    When Clerks 2 comes out on DVD they seriously need to include the "Don't record this" bit on the extras :D  That was funny as hell!!!!!

For Superman they showed the same clip they released for SDCC last year. And yeah, Singer was a wreck in front of a crowd...probably why he's a director and not an actor, poor guy, I felt bad for him. as for the movie plot:

S
    P
    O
    I
    L
    E
    R

S
    P
    A
    C
    E

From the looks of it, Clark takes off for 7 years, possibly to where Krypton was from some of the sounds of it. When he returns the world is a darker (post 9-11) place. The world has moved on without him (questioning if they even NEED him) and Lois has moved on with her life (as Razerwire mentioned...hit the invulnerable guy where it hurts....) with a child and a new guy. The dilema will be pretty much that she's found a nice guy so it's not like Supes can dislike the guy for being an ass to her. That should create some good tension. Sounds like it will just be the love triangle and Luthor as the plot.

Cars was really underwhelming. I WANTED them to win me over...but it felt too much like "Chevron Cars: The Movie"...then they told the plot. A hot shot (Owen Wilson) on his way to the biggest event (race) of his life has an accident and wrecks part of a obscure hick town where he must perform community service, with a huge sense of urgency to get back before he misses his big opportunity, undoubtable learning life lessons with a touching ending...sound familliar?

YEP, sounds like the Michael J Fox movie Doc Hollywood almost verbatim: :stick: 

Hot shot doctor (Fox) on his way to a huge job interview when he has an accident and wrecks part of a obscure hick town, and his car, where he must perform community service, with a huge sense of urgency to get back before he misses his big opportunity, learning life lessons with a touching ending.

Silent Hill looked simply badass. They showed a scene where a monster rips a girls clothes off and then tears her skin off in one piece, then thows her corpse making a huge splater!!!

10. Razerwire

News Credits:
    Yeah, I really wanted Pixar to win me over with Cars too... Instead I left halfway through it to walk around the dealer room again...

And that Silent Hill clip was GNARLY!!! :rock 

11. Xcandescent

Xcandescent TRUKKS are the new MUNKYS

:eek:  Wow. Just ... wow.

For a company that prides itself on story, that's NUTS.

Guess now we know why Pixar let itself get bought out by Disney. Y'know, besides another Steve Jobs power grab.

I went to the DC Crisis Counseling panel today. It was pretty fun. I was kind of amazed they came out and said that God exists in the DCU, so I got on the mic and brought up the whole God sitting-on-his-ass during the Day of Vengeance thing, in pretty blunt language. Then I asked about Ray Palmer. I wanted to ask if the writers got wood every time they killed off Flashes during a Crisis, but that would've been REALLY pushing it. I think Mark Waid asked the crowd to give me a hug.

It was fun. :ev: 

It was explained that the whole point to IC was to rebuild the various franchises that had been shoehorned into the DC Universe (Charlton, Fawcett, etc.) so that it feels like they CAN naturally exist in one universe. Then they said that the Vertigo and DC universes were going to remain separate (with Deadpool going to Vertigo. Yeah I know -- confusing ... all universes shall be one, except for those two. I don't really follow the logic of trying to re-reintegrate the DC Universe instead of going back to the multiverse, UNLESS the aim is to create a single universe that's big enough to allow the different moods (light, dark) and themes of those properties to exist in their own little corners -- i.e. basically multiverse in all but name.

The Frank Miller panel was disappointing. They had some guy from CBLDF ask him questions for the whole time, and only let the audience ask questions for the last 10 minutes. Miller wasn't doing signings, and they made a point of saying he wouldn't do signings later at Comic Relief after the Sin City showing. The whole thing smelled like a setup to keep fans at arm's length.

Even so, Miller was still entertaining. He announced his next graphic novel will be called "Holy Terror, Batman!", and described it as a "propaganda" piece where Batman kicks Al Qaeda's ass. Seriously. He also asked how many people in the crowd wanted us to win the war, and when no one clapped he was all "hey, I know this is San Francisco, but COME ON!" (Me, I was wondering which "war" he was referring to.) After opening up with a bit about how freedom has come to mean "freedom from", and expounding on how people are afraid to even think, let alone discuss, certain subjects, that whole bit was kind of jarring.

He also got the crowd laughing when he said that "Batman is a DICK." When asked by the moderator why anyone should care about the character, he replied that "he's OUR dick". He also went into some weird tangent on Superman, where he talked about him having near God-like powers, and being able to easily make him into a bad guy (?!?!?!?) He had some interesting points about why it's important to sort out who the character of Superman is and what he stands for, but he didn't make it into anything coherent.

Sin City 2 is going to be primarily "The Dame Wore Red", with a side story featuring a post-Yellow-Bastard Nancy, and possibly some other stuff. When asked if he'll do another Sin City GN, he said "Yes", but wouldn't say when.

Got more sketches, which was very cool. I'm just getting over the whole being too nervous to ask artists for sketches thing ... and if I had gotten over it earlier yesterday, maybe Ryan Sook would've had time to do a full Zatanna. Eh, live and learn.

-XCN-