Wondercon 2012, now in Anahiem. Who is going?

Discussion in 'Transformers Conventions and Get Togethers' started by LegendAntihero, Mar 2, 2012.

1. LegendAntihero

LegendAntihero Banned

Now that it's March, WonderCon is only 2 weeks away. This year, Comic Con decided to move WC to Anaheim and it has many of the big name exhibitors the San Diego Comic Con has. Looking at the exhibitors list, IDW and ToyArena are booths worth hitting up at WonderCon. So, who's going there?

2. hiway7

hiway7 Well-Known Member

I'll be there! I love that they temporarily moved it down south here. Looking like there will be some great vendors out there too.

Seems like a trial run for Comic-Con! :bay 

3. Dragonclaw

Dragonclaw Comic Ink - Dublin, CA

News Credits:
    Well I'm in the opposite camp :p  Up here the hatred that they moved a convention that has been a staple here since the 80's is palpable...and the excuse that there is no other venue that would have fit is BS, San Jose has a large convention center that would have worked just fine. I tend to believe the rumor that they did it to mess with Wizard World Anaheim...With the same company already putting on SDCC and Long Beach Comicon it seems like they have their SoCal shows already without taking our traditional show away. I haven't missed a Wondercon since 1988, and as a store owner I was going to have a booth this year to help promote the store...but there's no point in paying that kind of $$$ to try and promote a store that's 7 hours away :p  and I had to make the choice between Wondercon and SDCC for travel plans so it looks like this is the first Wondercon I wont be attending in nearly 25 years.

4. LegendAntihero

LegendAntihero Banned

Oh, Derek, why can't you be more like my friend, Sean Long? Not only does he come down here for BotCon, and Comic Con, he goes all the annual southern California pop culture conventions.

5. EightiesKid

EightiesKid G1 archivist TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I was actually about to start a thread like this. I'm in, and very excited. I went to Wondercon a few times while I was living in the Bay Area, and will be taking my 3 year old, and going with my brother-in-law on Saturday.

I didn't know Toy Arena was confirmed, but it doesn't surprise me since they are down in So Cal, that's good news, sounds like we'll have some good vendors there, hopefully we'll see some good stock. I've already set some cash aside, and hope to see some great TF awesomeness. I wonder if we'll see any Grails there, Fort Max, Brave, etc. MIB G1 stuff. I can't make Botcon this year, and SDCC has gotten so big that it's not much fun any more, so I'm hoping that Wondercon will be fun.

6. LegendAntihero

LegendAntihero Banned

Hey, Dragonclaw, I got back from Wondercon today. I saw a guy at the IDW panel with a pony tail and beard sitting two rows behind me as if he didn't want me to see him. Was that you?

At the IDW booth, I picked up an exclusive Smoke and Mirrors comic book that came with a free magic trick. It's a pack of three cards. I show you two red cards and a black one in the middle. Then I turn the cards around so that the back is facing you. I pull one card out and you see a card that wasn't there before!

7. Dragonclaw

Dragonclaw Comic Ink - Dublin, CA

News Credits:
    LOL, only saw this because I wasn't logged in when I hit the thread...

Sean Long isn't a store owner, he's a website...going to conventions and talking about them is pretty much his JOB, much different than being a store owner who, much like many of my customers, supported Wondercon for more than 20 years (I've been to all 25 Oakland / SF Wondercons) only to see them move it this year to an distance that left many of its regular supporters out in the cold, despite many viable alternative locations that could have hosted it in the area.

And no, that must have been someone else ignoring you...I am nowhere near Anaheim this weekend.