Wonder Woman's Fancy New Duds

Discussion in 'Comic Books and Graphic Novels' started by Switchblade, Jun 29, 2010.

1. Digilaut

Digilaut Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yup, that's what I though too.

My guess would be that the biggest group of people buying comics, or superhero comics, are males in their 20s and 30s (not sure on the facts but I think the kids of the past have grown along with the comics - kids nowadays don't buy as much).

It's a man's world, so the succes of Wonder Woman always leaves me puzzled. What RabidYak said about the origin seems right to me, it seems like a different kind of fetish, one that is not making the male dominant and degrades the female character (which pretty much happens with every female character - like drooling over Power Girl and her Power Tits), but rather puts the female into this ruling position - who in turn dominates the males.

I feel it's a form of white knighting that goes beyond 'treating a woman with respect', into 'please abuse me woman, we men are bad'...as if there are guys who actually enjoy reading a woman using a magical lasso to rope bad guys and make them subservient to her commands. (then again, most other comics are about muscular guys in spandex who only live to show their guns and smash buildings..)

Not trying to troll here, so no offence meant to people who read Wonder Woman - I bet (or hope!) that most are just judging it as any other superhero comic, just wanting to read fun stories..but still - what I'm trying to say is, in an industry that would be more balanced (male and female readers), a feministic character like this would make more sense for female readers, yet it's guys that are reading this. And she even has a place on the Justice League, too!:p 

I think the costume change can be a good test. Not saying it is the best design ever, but let's see if people actually read this for the character and the plot. :D 

2. smkspy

smkspy Remember true fans

Meh, Too 90s Rogue and too temporary a costume change. She'll be back to her classic costume in a year, tops.

3. Ops_was_a_truck

Ops_was_a_truck JOOOLIE ANDREWWWWWS!!!!!!

Ebay:
    She looks great. Nice new suit. Here's hoping it sticks around.

4. Ra88

Ra88 Dutchman!

News Credits:
    Not a fan of the suit. I agree that it needed to be updated, but this is not the way to go, IMO. They should play the "Greek warrior" angle up more. The new story direction sounds...Odd as well, but I'm not going to judge that until the comic is out.

5. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    I was about to say.

Looks very 90's.

6. KnightSaberAmi

KnightSaberAmi Nyan Nyan

I figured by "changed" her costume would have become "less skimpy"or more of a modern "bikini" but not turning her into a "emo-nun."

7. lars573

lars573 Well-Known Member

She was a supposed to be an Amazon in the Greek mythic mold, modernized a bit. Her garb was adapted from what Greeks percieved an Amazon to look like. Or the goddess Athena. Greeks (men or women) didn't wear long sleeves, and they didn't wear pants. Even to war.

8. QmTablit

QmTablit BotBot in the what, I said BotBot in the what

Yeah... she looks like Superboy from the Grummet days.

Personally, my favorite outfit of hers was the one Alan Davis drew for The Nail, with the cloak.

9. QmTablit

QmTablit BotBot in the what, I said BotBot in the what

You have to remember that the Greek merely wrote the stories of the Amazons. The tribe of female warriors were not from Greece at all.

10. Digilaut

Digilaut Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    True, but the character came from an all-female tribe who didn't think too highly of men, so the last thing you'd want to do as a member of that tribe is walk around in a skimpy suit that attracts filthy men like bees to honey..

11. Switch625

Switch625 "Up, up, and away!"

Agreed on both counts. I'd also like to add that I liked Davis' update of Martian Manhunter's costume in The Nail as well.

12. Predaking

Predaking Well-Known Member

100% disagree. If you think people don't read the comics for eye candy then you are very naive. There's a reason why 99% of the superheros wear tight or skimpy outfits designed to be visually pleasing to the audience. Show me a female comical character who's all covered up and I'll show you a comic that'll be cancelled after the first run.

13. FMA1987

FMA1987 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    yeah i am not a fan of pants but i have never been a fan of pants que the commerical i wear no pants.....

14. FMA1987

FMA1987 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    yeah this is quoted for truth

15. Galaxy Convoy

Galaxy Convoy Well-Known Member

When it comes to a more "modern" looking Wonder Woman, my favorite look has always been the costume she sported in the 2-part "Super Seven" Elseworlds story from some years back(Adventure's of Superman and Superboy annual):

[​IMG]

Uses the leather jacket, but it makes A LOT more sense with that overall look. I *think* that's a coloring error and her legs weren't partially bare like that, but she wore full pants and the skin tone there was supposed to be white. Been a long time since I read Super Seven though. Always liked that costume better than the other leather jacket look.

Attached Files:

16. Cheetatron

Cheetatron Drat, outsmarted by a Lorry, I am disgraced

Ditto if they ever go along with making that WW movie this costume is the way to go too bad it being wasted on mainstream DC in temporary fashion. It likely won't be seen again once they announce their return to the classic outfit.

17. lars573

lars573 Well-Known Member

Point. Counterpoint: That all-female tribe/society was also man-free. So Diana would have no concept that bare female skin attracts men like bees to honey.

18. Andersonh1

Andersonh1 Man, I've been here a LONG time Veteran

Ebay:
    I don't have a problem with updating Wonder Woman's look, but I don't like this costume at all. It's simply too far removed from the iconic look she's had for most of the time that WW has been published. I understand the desire to make it more practical, but I think the new look overdoes it.

It's a nice looking costume, but it doesn't say "Wonder Woman" to me. Gotta give it a thumbs down. :( 

19. Predaking

Predaking Well-Known Member

In a world where just about anything is possible, they are wondering why WW's boobs don't bust out of her bustier? This is just about the most ludicrous excuse out there for changing her costume. Hell, just take look at Vampirella. How come her boobs never fall out of a bikini that's barely holding on by 2 measly strings? Don't ever put practical and comics in the same sentence I say.

20. Andersonh1

Andersonh1 Man, I've been here a LONG time Veteran

Ebay:
    That's one of her super powers... precise boob placement control. No worries! :lol