Wonder how long before Maketoys announced SG Prime/UM and Scourge Tankers...

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by CodeXCDM, May 1, 2012.

1. CodeXCDM

CodeXCDM Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    So... with Botcon came not one, but TWO repaints of RTS Laser Prime... SG Ultra Magnus as part of the Boxset, and SG Prime scheme sold alongside Kick-off in a 2-pack.

They've also announced that a proper Scourge is to be released as part of some Subscription service...

There's already a KO Tanker out in the wild... (to which folks should beware when trying to buy an official one off eBay and whatnot)

Makes me wonder how long it'd be before they announce intentions of making THREE trailer repaints.

For what it's worth... the CC trailer repaints seemingly sold well enough... to the point that even the repaints have been KO'ed... and a new repaint is exclusively a KO.

Also... Starstriker posted a rather neat image of SG Ultra Magnus with the Battle Tanker

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

2. TFao

TFao Well-Known Member

I'm thinking that the KO Tanker repaints will hit the market before any MakeToy repaints do.

3. MegaHavok

MegaHavok Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    that looks silly with the small head...and if your gonna remove the head then whats the point

4. Taziir

Taziir Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Fair point about the head on the SG figure, but they would be silly to ignore all these repaints.

I wouldn't be in the slightest surprised if the SG figure was chosen because of Battle Tanker and then colour matched. That repaint just looks too good in the armour (I'm ignoring the head) ;) 

5. grayman

grayman The Alpha and The Omega TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I think that it is in their best interest to make one for each version of the Optimus Prime mold. I know that I want a set for each version that I own. I don't think that the original Ultra Magnus head looks bad with the armor. For those that do, the Maketoys head repainted works well for the SG Optimus and Scourge versions.

6. Roufuss

Roufuss Shots

News Credits:
    Might be too limited an audience to sell to?

You figure they only made 2,000 SG Optimus Primes, you can factor in that 50% probably don't buy third party items and probably another 25% won't buy it because of the cost, so that leaves you, what, 500 potential sales? And that's not counting all the figures sitting up for sale, so that number is even less.

Is it really worth it at that point?

Especially with MakeToys finishing Giant as their first priority, then moving onto green Giant (just a repaint but still takes money and factory resources), then probably another combiner, could they really find time to slot this in there?

I do think it would look awesome for SG Optimus but I got a feeling KO will be the only way to go, especially if we dont hear something soon.

You can apply the same rhetoric to Scourge as well. These figures might just be too limited and MakeToys just can't make things for that small an audience and stay profitable.

7. Kaijumaster

Kaijumaster 335

News Credits:
    boy 2 seconds in Photoshop and the size of the head really stands out. I hope some clever posing will hide that, As for Scourge, I really hope that is a safe bet, I know a lot of people (Myself included) looked at Battle Tanker with a resounding "I'll wait for the scourge repaint"

We got Shadow Scyther, and that only had a run of 600 units with new parts, so 2,000 from Scourge or even 1,000 doesn't seem outside the realm of possibillity.

8. CodeXCDM

CodeXCDM Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Well considering the rarity of the figures... they could consider adapting new heads that fit on top of the existing ones. Though I suppose the issue there is that it might make the heads too big.

Alternatively... since SG Prime/Magnus aren't exactly friends... they could come with an extra accessory that puts the old heads on a chain or container, so you can wear them as some sort of grizzly trophy. (I.E., You upgrade SG Prime and he's wearing SG Magnus' head as a trophy necklace.)