Women in the Movies

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by Spekkio, May 4, 2008.

1. Spekkio

Spekkio Master of War

I happened to read this interesting article today:
    Is There a Woman in the Multiplex? by Manohla Dargis, New York Times, 04 May 2008.

I'd encourage you to read the whole article - I don't want to reproduce it in full here. I did find it thought-provoking, though. A few weeks ago, Bill Maher said: "New Rule: [slide of movie posters for "Made of Honor" and "Prom Night"] If women stop making every movie about getting married, men will stop making every movie about killing you."

It makes me wonder if maybe Marvel shouldn't modify their upcoming lineup a bit. I know they're aiming for the original Avengers lineup, but last I heard they weren't doing a separate movie for the Wasp, and the movie where she'd logically be is tentatively titled Ant-Man. According to Wikipedia, the movie would strictly be about the three Ant-Men - no mention of Janet.

It does seem like movies have been sorta crappy towards women lately. No Lara Croft, no Elektra, and nothing where one or more actresses are the major players in a non-sexual role.

Anyway, that's my two cents. I'd love to hear some other perspectives.

2. NIDARAM12

NIDARAM12 Robot art guy

News Credits:
    Making a good female character that will please everyone is tough. There's like less than a dozen good, strong female characters in the history of fiction that manage to dodge all stereotypes and combine sexuality, femininity, strength, independence, and nurturing without ever falling into hypermasculine, hypersexualized, or hyperviolent stereotypes like Ultraviolet or "trying to hard" like the new Bionic Woman.

Two of them are Ripley from Alien/s and The Boss from MGS3 :p