Woman Loses 10 Pounds of skin!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Zeta Otaku, Dec 12, 2006.

1. Zeta Otaku

Zeta Otaku Who ya gonna call? TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    Yeah, I never do these, BUT had to share this lovely story...

SOURCE MSNBC.com

HERMISTON, Ore. - A small spider bite turned out to be a big problem for Cindy Pettey. Pettey awoke when she was bitten on the stomach in the middle of the night a few weeks ago, but thought little else of it. Then she started running a fever, she felt achy and weak. The bite sore became larger.

Next thing Pettey knew, a doctor was telling her he believed she'd been bitten by a dangerous hobo spider.

Pettey had surgery that removed 10 pounds of skin and flesh, leaving her with an abdomen covered in stitches.

"It looks like I was bit in half by a shark," Pettey said.

Rob Hendrickson, a physician and director of the Oregon Poison Control Center, said the hobo is a non-aggressive spider that bites only when cornered. For example, when someone puts on a shoe with a spider inside.

The hobo is one of two dangerous spiders in Oregon. The other is the black widow. The brown recluse does not exist in Oregon, he said.

"In reality, most spiders are venomous, but aren't capable of penetrating human skin," Hendrickson said.

Hobo spider venom may cause necrosis, or death of the skin. When a spider injects venom below the skin, it reddens, swells, then turns black. But there is some doubt in the medical community about whether venom causes the skin death, Hendrickson said.

"If the venom can actually cause necrosis in humans," he said, "... then it is a very rare event."

Pettey isn't taking any more chances. She found five or six spiders that look like hobos. She also discovered two funnel webs like those made by hobo spiders. The webs, layered and non-sticky, funnel unwary prey toward a circular opening at the bottom of the web.

"I put hobo spider traps all over my house," she said.

Pettey's strength is returning slowly. She works five or six hours a day at her job at the Pilot Travel Center, then returns home exhausted. Her doctor told her it might be six months before she fully regains her energy.

"I come home and sleep for three hours," Pettey said. "It really zaps me."

2. Soundblaster1

Soundblaster1 The Heisenberg of Toys

News Credits:
    Do people even have 10 pounds of skin?

3. Greyryder

Greyryder Kitbashed

That's bullshit, and he should know better. Most spiders simply don't have potent enough venom to cause more than a small irritated sore in humans.

But anyway, that's one of the worse ones I've heard of, out of necrotising venom. That spider must have given her one hell of a bite.

4. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    fixed.

5. butz

butz slippery when wet

Weird- we have Spiders around here that build funnel shaped webs, and their bites don't do anything really. Maybe I shouldn't touch those anymore?

6. .SentinelPrime Is Dead.

.SentinelPrime Is Dead. Banned

7. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

Why would you go around touching spiders?

8. atlianz

atlianz TFW2005 Supporter

9. butz

butz slippery when wet

If I find them in my house, I usually catch them and relocate them outside. Only ever encountered a couple of the funnel building ones indoors, and it was quite a while ago. Wolf Spiders on the other hand, I find all the time.

10. Soundblaster1

Soundblaster1 The Heisenberg of Toys

News Credits:
    While we're on the topic of bugs, do you have a problem with Ladybugs in your house? My grandma lives in Ohio and has that problem. Kinda scares the crap out of me when I see one, cause i'm not really used to any bugs in the house...

11. Hook

Hook Out of Options Veteran

Facebook:
  12. honestgabe

honestgabe I

when I was 16 and first starting to drive, I crashed my parents car because of a spider. The thing was dangling from my rear view mirror and freaked me out, hit the curb going 35 mph, blew out 2 tires and threw out the alignment.

13. butz

butz slippery when wet

If she lives in Ohio, and has a problem with ladybugs, those probably aren't ladybugs, and yes, but not many have gotten into my house this year. Those big, yellow to orangish, ladybug-looking things suck. They bite, they stink really bad when you crush them, and every fall they swarm all over people's houses around here. Before them, we used to get hordes of seemingly harmless boxelder bugs on people's houses in the fall, but those fell off around the time the "ladybugs" started to become a problem. Real ladybugs (or, at least what I've always been told are real ladybugs) are much smaller, redder in color, and harmless. Used to find them milling around tree roots and such.

14. Boggs6ft7

Boggs6ft7 TFW2005 Supporter

I killed a Brown Recluse in my classroom a few days ago. I found it just where you think you would find one, in a dark area that isn't disturbed.

You don't hear of people getting bit by them very often because, well, they are reclusive. The spider likes to be left alone and isn't aggressive.

While we're on the topic, here is a funny story about a spider that made me never want to stay at my in-laws again:

My wifes family was gathered in the dining room when my wife spots what she thinks is a mouse running up the stairs. Nope, its a big ass spider. My father-in-law could care less about spiders and goes to stomp on it. Now my father-in-law is bigger than mem he's 6'8", and not a man to be messed with, well this spider starts jumping up and down at the sight of my father-in-law going to kill him, as if to say "bring it on big man"

Now at this point, I would have packed my shit and left. I would have told that spider he could invite all his spider friends over and they could have the house. I don't like spiders and I especially don't like spiders that will stand up to me.

That spider had some brass balls (or ovaries as it was probably a female), but he died anyways under the boot.

15. Phy

Phy I want... ROOM SERVICE!!

News Credits:
    Heck no. They hang around the apartment complex a lot, but even if they were inside it wouldn't be a real problem. I had it drilled in at an early age that ladybugs were Good Guys.

16. rattrap007

rattrap007 Insert witty comment here TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    guess this brings a whole new meaning to the old slang "Gimmie some skin..."

17. Blunticon

Blunticon The Oddjob

18. Cheetatron

Cheetatron Eh

Great... even more reason to fear and hate the spiders I already... fear and hate. Kill every spider, eliminate even the toughest arachnid. That's my motto. What's this catch them and throw em outside BS? ROFLOL

19. CdnShockwave

CdnShockwave The Prince of Poses TFW2005 Supporter

Serves her right for not giving that hobo the spare change he rightfully deserves!

j/k

20. RoboticPlanet

RoboticPlanet Exclusively Exclusive

News Credits:
    My friend, formerly a Navy medic, was in Japan and got bit by some spider. His skin apparently had a large (baseball sized?) black area on it before he went to the hospital. He claims he would have done the surgery himself had he been able to reach it adequately on his leg.

While things are more tame here in the US, I don't think twice before crushing spiders. No chance in letting some movie scenario play out with imported man eating spiders gettin the jump on me.