Woman’s death on airliner horrifies relatives

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by seeker311, Feb 25, 2008.

1. seeker311

seeker311 The Collector

News Credits:
  2. Lumpy

Lumpy Taylor Swift Actionmaster Super Mod

News Credits:
    sounds like the people on the plane did everything they could to save the lady...sometimes people just die

3. Gears

Gears buh-buh-body ya Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    She had diabetes and died of natural causes.

4. Goaliebot

Goaliebot All Makes and Models

News Credits:
    I read that both oxygen tanks were empty though?

5. Lumpy

Lumpy Taylor Swift Actionmaster Super Mod

News Credits:
    they had 6 on the plane, and they used two of them on her...thats what i read...

edit: okay, just reread...apparently they had 12...and checked them all preflight...at least two ended up being empty, but they still said they used two on her...so...i guess if the first two hadnt been empty, she possibly coulda not died...but i think she probably still would have..

6. wheeljaxx

wheeljaxx Banned

*SNIP* I'm overweight and healthy... IT's POSSIBLE. and you can't go around generalizing people beacuse they have diabetes as overweight. i don't have diabetes, and by 120 pound female friend DOES....

Name-calling is NEVER tolerated at TFW2005 - Staff

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 26, 2008
  7. Deceptikitty

Deceptikitty all about the hasubandos

Flight attendants are trained not to automatically give oxygen to every passenger who requests it but instead use airline criteria to judge when it's needed, said Leslie Mayo, a spokeswoman for the union representing American's attendants.

I think that about summarizes it on the flight attendants' part. I hope the family doesn't try to cash in on the whole thing, claiming faulty gear, but that's just what happens these days. I do feel bad for the lady's family, though.

But would the oxygen have helped her? I'm not sure. Sounds like she was a ticking time bomb anyway, not to sound harsh or anything.

And everyone can get diabetes, not just overweight people. Hence why we have Type I and Type II.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2008
  8. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    :(  Man, that's messed up.

9. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Definitely, like Deceptikitty pointed out, there's two types. Being overweight is a risk factor for Type II, which is by far the more common, but you can't assume that a diabetic is overweight.

Still, being overweight is unhealthy. An overweight person can still be healthy in the short term by compensating--but it'll eventually catch up one way or the other. Shaking the extra weight off is always better healthwise.

10. eyeballkid

eyeballkid Old

I did see her pic. I work in a pharmacy, and I see people like this all the time. They claim disability, and they pay next to nothing for the drugs that keep them alive. The insurance companies pay for most of the meds, while our taxes pay for the rest. Someone is making money here, and it aint me.

11. Big_Daddy

Big_Daddy The. Balls. Will. Touch.<br><b><font color=blue>Bi

News Credits:
    Dude, that's just *SNIP*. People can get obese from meds, metabolism disorders, their genes, and more; not just from eating.

You just insulted more than a billion people with your comment. Way to go, *SNIP*

Name-calling is NEVER tolerated at TFW2005 - Staff

12. RHansen

RHansen Sir. Ranbotnic Veteran

News Credits:
    Keep it civil in here everyone.

Also, bigpete, while people obese from meds, metabolism disorders, etc have a harder time keeping weight off, it's not impossible. I find that to be a horrid excuse when people go "I'm fat and theres nothing I can do about it for such and such reasons."

I have a metabolism disorder, unfriendly genes and took meds which made me gain a lot of weight. I used to be very large. Now I'm not because I simply worked hard at it.

13. My03Tundra

My03Tundra LOVES TO EDIT POSTS!!

Ebay:
    And that makes you an automatic authority on medicine, and medicines? So, are you the pharmacist, or the pharmacy technician? If you know so much then why do you come here constantly asking for people's advice on medical related problems? Who do think you are to pass judgment towards people you don't know and are supposed to help? Please, let me know which chain hired you so I can avoid it.

Yes, it was, but I've seen him post a lot worse. Sadly. I'm just a bit tired of such comments, that's all.

I think she did get adequate care, as they used two tanks of oxygen on her. I do think that because of the bad publicity with airlines, that most people are naturally going to be cynical about the whole situation.

SOME of my current medicine has helped to bloat me up a bit, and is one reason why I want off of it SO badly. Plus, with my condition being so erratic and unexplainable at times (the rare shit can do that on you) I can't exercise too much. Don't go off half-cocked and try smart mouthing people because of their weight. There are GENUINE medical conditions that can cause weight gain, and medications that can cause weight gain because of said conditions.

Now, even if I could drop to my optimal weight of 180 to 200 (muscle) like I used to be around and before college it would reduce my Type II Diabetes risk greatly. But, on my Dad's side it is SO prevalent that later on in life I have a high chance of developing it.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2008
  14. FreshDebesh

FreshDebesh <b><font color=brickred>oye chak de phatte!</font> Veteran

Anyone else who calls anyone names or makes flameworthy comments gets banned from this thread.

15. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    I've edited the posts, but yes, what Fresh said.

16. Otispq

Otispq Elocution Onymous

News Credits:
    Boy what I wanted to say isn't controversial, but too often falls on deaf ears, so I'll just say it's sad that she died on a plane, and hopefully no passengers were traumatized by it.

17. misterd

misterd Well-Known Member

Was there any death that they would have found pleasing?

18. Deceptikitty

Deceptikitty all about the hasubandos

Maybe if someone tried to hijack the plane and an air marshal shot them...

19. My03Tundra

My03Tundra LOVES TO EDIT POSTS!!

Ebay:
    Die happy. Die a pleasant death. Die for what you believe in. Those are good deaths. Today is a good day to die. So is tomorrow. But we don't always get our choice of how to die, or where it occurs.

20. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    was watching Nancy Grace about this and I want to clarify 2 mistakes she allowed on her show.
    1. a) the defibrillator they showed and claimed that didn't work wasn't right. they were showing a manual AED, which when i became a medic, only Intermediates or Paramedics could use. and FA's aren't trained for those. and in the age of dummy proof, Dr. Seuss with pictures easy Automatic models, why would they need the big manual ones anyhoo.
    b.) a caller said that the defibrillators won't work if the plane is in the air. What the Fuck? no one is that dense. those machines are heart monitors, not altimeters. The reason why you shouldn't use one in flight or in a moving vehicle is to prevent accidental shock of the responder- turbulance or a bump in the road, person reaches out to brace themselves, touches patient and the shock wakes one, stops the heart of the other.
    and a machine that can't sustain or revive until the plane lands is nothing more than a paperweight.

2. An attorney said the woman was a nurse and knew what she needed. The FA did not know that and it isn't a factor in anything.
    But i will tell you one thing. In our field, we have so many "granny runs" where people are either shut ins or are in environments they can't escape, so they call 911 for a trip to the ER just to get away, even for a couple hours.
    having said that, we have gotten so many people who claim they aren't breathing and we can tell when it is a true emergency or not.
    if you are telling me you can't breathe and haven't stopped talking in 15 minutes to friends and family, you are able to breathe.
    if you claim shortness of breath and are multitasking, you aren't as bad off as you think.

IMHO, i think when the woman was freaking out about not being able to breathe but was able to keep talking, the FA took it as a sign she was really ok and therefore was justified for the first refusal of O2.
    (although the excessive thirst was a sign that should not have been ignored. then again, I am diabetic and drink like an alcoholic fish whenever i eat.)
    How it was handled from there, that is where i think both the FA and the airline dropped the ball.

That's my pro opinion. the rest and the outcome is for the lawyers.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2008